Absolute BEST custard recipe that RULES all??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
Mixed this up last week since I haven't done any strictly Flavourart recipes. Still waiting for it to steep. Off the bat, the custard is spiced. Tried some last night and it's still got a ways to go, but the meringue sweetened it up. Hope it all comes together nicely.

French Vanilla Custard:
2% Custard (FA)
4% Meringue (FA)
4% Cream Fresh (FA)
6% Vienna Cream (FA)
I would be interested to hear how this develops. I haven't done a strictly flavorart custard recipe either, primarily because of the flavor notes described in other reviews.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
that recipe would be great with a couple drops of tobacco absolute. Or my fave Inawera black for pipe. drop or two of fa oakwood and you have a great smoked custard. very versatile base. Percentages are a bit high for FA but to each his own.
I found the recipe online. I can't take credit for it. I tend to try recipes as people suggest, then tweak for my own preference. Sometimes it's better, sometimes not. I can definitely tell the vienna cream was a little strong and if it turns out nice in the end of the steep so if I make it again, I would drop that percentage accordingly.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
my current custard base using 2 of the new CAP flavors. with the base I'll add a touch of caramel, butterscotch, coconut, or fruit for variety.

10% CAP VC
3% CAP Bavarian Cream (new)
2% CAP Whipped Cream (new)
2% CAP Marshmallow (optional)
I have a CAP caramel, and have yet to use it. I have been meaning to get the new flavors they released to add the arsenal. I only have about 20ml left out of my 4oz of custard v1 so I'll add them to the list.

Reactions: Kenna

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Mixed up a few more custards last night. Nothing on the trek for my unicorn, but good nonetheless.

Lemallow Cusswirl (just what i dubbed it to remember what i put in lol)
CAP Vanilla Custard v1 5%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 1%
CAP Marshmallow 1%
FA Lemon Sicily 2%
notes: really good shake and vape with a lot of potential after some steep time. I've never been partial to lemon, but this one really is a nice pallet changer. nice and sweet

Vienna Custard
CAP Vanilla Custard v1 8%
FA Vienna Cream 2%
notes: this one (like most others I've tried with vienna) is a little bland off the shake and vape. It's in the steep box and i will be periodically checking on it every week or so.

Also made another vairation of my Like a Sir clone, (forgot the percentages, but ingredients are CAP Vanilla Custard, TFA Butterscotch, CAP Caramel, CAP French Vanilla) but at the end added in a few drops of CAP butter, TFA whipped cream, CAP marshmallow. I've found that with every TFA Butterscotch recipe i make it needs at least a few weeks steep time for the "dryness/harshness" of the butterscotch to go away. I found this out because while placing fresh mixes in teh steep box, I found a butterscotch custard i made a few weeks back and shelved it because of how strong and harsh it was. Really wish CAP would release a butterscotch lol.

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
Mixed up a few more custards last night. Nothing on the trek for my unicorn, but good nonetheless.

Lemallow Cusswirl (just what i dubbed it to remember what i put in lol)
CAP Vanilla Custard v1 5%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 1%
CAP Marshmallow 1%
FA Lemon Sicily 2%
notes: really good shake and vape with a lot of potential after some steep time. I've never been partial to lemon, but this one really is a nice pallet changer. nice and sweet

Vienna Custard
CAP Vanilla Custard v1 8%
FA Vienna Cream 2%
notes: this one (like most others I've tried with vienna) is a little bland off the shake and vape. It's in the steep box and i will be periodically checking on it every week or so.

Also made another vairation of my Like a Sir clone, (forgot the percentages, but ingredients are CAP Vanilla Custard, TFA Butterscotch, CAP Caramel, CAP French Vanilla) but at the end added in a few drops of CAP butter, TFA whipped cream, CAP marshmallow. I've found that with every TFA Butterscotch recipe i make it needs at least a few weeks steep time for the "dryness/harshness" of the butterscotch to go away. I found this out because while placing fresh mixes in teh steep box, I found a butterscotch custard i made a few weeks back and shelved it because of how strong and harsh it was. Really wish CAP would release a butterscotch lol.
Lol! love the name, I know exactly what a cusswirl is, I engage in it often! Also, got to give you a quick kudos, I NEVER attempt a shake and vape with custards! one whiff of a newly bathed batch and into the closet it goes. Custards always smell, and taste way to chemically for me, for a minimum of 3 weeks, so good on ya if you can handle it. Bet you get a much earlier reading on your mixes than I do.

I just mixed up your Vienna Custard but used 10% CAP VC and added 2% CAP Butter. Its bathing now. Will let you know... in 3 weeks or so, how it worked out.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Lol! love the name, I know exactly what a cusswirl is, I engage in it often! Also, got to give you a quick kudos, I NEVER attempt a shake and vape with custards! one whiff of a newly bathed batch and into the closet it goes. Custards always smell, and taste way to chemically for me, for a minimum of 3 weeks, so good on ya if you can handle it. Bet you get a much earlier reading on your mixes than I do.

I just mixed up your Vienna Custard but used 10% CAP VC and added 2% CAP Butter. Its bathing now. Will let you know... in 3 weeks or so, how it worked out.

Up until recently my theory was mixing juice as I needed it. I'd sit down every night or every other night and mix one bottle to vape the next day. Once I started making a few different flavors at a time, it became easier to shelf them and forget they were there, and allow them to age a little. I always try a little of a new recipe off the bat to get a baseline of where its starting, and I try to sample a little each week. It just makes it easier for me to judge either how much steep time it needs, or I just straight jacked up a recipe and it won't get any better regardless of time. Plus, I'm VERY impatient so just setting it in the cabinet and forgetting is harder to do.

I did find that the Oreo's Vanilla Custard recipe I made tasted so good off the bat that I made a 120ml to start steeping. I have been dipping into it a little every week since 8/31, and just this morning I took the last 30 out. While it is really good, it's not perfect to the profile I have been trying to achieve. I have I think 5-6 other random custard recipes in the steep cabinet right now that I'm very anxious about trying to wait a few weeks to sample again.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Just mixed another two custards.

One i was just sitting here thinking of other ingredients with egg in the actual food it represents. Cake batter definitely came to mind as something my mother would never let me eat as a kid for fear of salmonella lol. I also saw a random post somewhere else that with FA Vienna Cream and FA Caramel, it's a spot on mixture for egg nog without the spices.

Cake Batter Custard (my own name)
CAP Cake Batter 5%
CAP Vanilla Custard 6%
FA Cream Fresh 1%
FA Vienna Cream 3%
FA Catalan Cream 1%
FA Caramel 3%

notes: i am VERY impressed with the initial drip of this one. I can't wait to see where it goes with some steep time. I would immediately go make another 120ml batch, but alas, I don't think i have enough of any of the ingredients.

The other one i mixed is something I've done before and really enjoyed. It's supposed to be a clone of Breakfast at Teleos The Milk. Never had it before, but loved the recipe.

Crunch Berry Custard
TFA Berry Crunch 8%
CAP Vanilla Custard 7%
FW Capt Crunch Berries 2%
TFA Brown Sugar 2%
TFA Sweet Cream 2%
TFA Cheesecake 2%

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
That Cakebatter recipe looks great! I don't know if it your unicorn, but it looks really delicious, will be mixing it up this weekend. I don't have the FA Fresh Cream, but I will just add some extra Catalan as I love it. Also will add some butter, because I always do. Thanks for sharing this!

I pulled out my Oreo's mix today, it isn't what I am looking for at all! and I didn't get the notes I think you are looking for either. But I did add another juice that I make for my dripper to it, a honey cinnamon, and it is really good! Also thought I would try a few drops of FA Tiramisu just to see what happens.

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
I like to mix up a 60ml of just my base custard flavor with a few other flavors that has worked for me over the past year. No vg/pg no nicotine. I let that sit for a couple of weeks. I know just flavoring will not be a good steep but they do kinda meld together even if it is in my head. I then use that to make a 120 ml bottle with my vg/pg and nicotine and let that sit for a couple of weeks. Here comes the fun part. I fill my sub tank with about 5ml of that and add like a drop or 2 of something else cake batter or yellow cake or meringue or a couple of different flavors. What ever you think will take your custard and bring it up the next level of goose bumps toe curling holly grail vape. "Still working on that part." Sometimes I just like to add a drop or two or strawberry or blueberry or key lime etc just for a change. I know this is a lot of waiting which is the hard part. I always have 120 ml ready to vape and 120 ml steeping. I am from the old school of time is the best steeping method. Sorry have not found the eggy trick yet maybe a drop or less of eggnog maybe not. As always taste is subjective and your mileage may vary

Last edited:

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
I like to mix up a 60ml of just my base custard flavor with a few other flavors that has worked for me over the past year. No vg/pg no nicotine. I let that sit for a couple of weeks. I know just flavoring will not be a good steep but they do kinda meld together even if it is in my head. I then use that to make a 120 ml bottle with my vg/pg and nicotine and let that sit for a couple of weeks. Here comes the fun part. I fill my sub tank with about 5ml of that and add like a drop or 2 of something else cake batter or yellow cake or meringue or a couple of different flavors. What ever you think will take your custard and bring it up the next level of goose bumps toe curling holly grail vape. "Still working on that part." Sometimes I just like to add a drop or two or strawberry or blueberry or key lime etc just for a change. I know this is a lot of waiting which is the hard part. I always have 120 ml ready to vape and 120 ml steeping. I am from the old school of time is the best steeping method. Sorry have not found the eggy trick yet maybe a drop or less of eggnog maybe not. As always taste is subjective and your mileage may vary
This is a GREAAAAT idea! Though, honestly I am not sure I have a favorite base type recipe yet. I did make 120ml of a recipe I thought had potential with something like this in mind. It isn't that perfect color yet, but my plan was to do 10mls or so of just messing around with stuff, but to add a few drops to the tank to get a general feeling is BRILLIANT! I am going to snatch this idea and run gleefully to the mixing table!

Do you think that maybe an ultrasound run, or a hot water bath would help the flavoring only base to develop? I am not asking because I am in a hurry, just that heat does seem to help meld flavors, as well as bumping around in a US. Though personally I think the heat method works best for custards, just my opinion though. When I want to really bring out seasonings flavors when cooking, I heat them slowly in butter to "bloom" the flavor... I don't really know if it works for these flavorings.... its just a bakers instinct jumping out.

Thank you so much for this idea!

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
That one is really good, too. But that bourbon & oak barrel steeping...[emoji8] . Gentlemans Reserve is another oak barrel & boubon I'm after.
Hey Kenna, if your still around... I just bought some charred oak chips from the home brew store. The guy there said to soak them in Makers 46 for a few days, and I would have a spot on replacement for old oak bourbon cask. Then, place a few of said chips into my VCT for 2 weeks, the hopeful result? Ripe Vapes VCT Private Reserve!! Might work for that Gentlemans Reserve you are after?

My chips are still soaking, but I did place some un-bourbon soaked chips into a bottle of Claim Your Throne clone, and Boss Reserve Clone. I have never had the originals, but the clone recipes I followed all said the same thing, that the cask aging was missing. I will get a bottle of each of these in a few weeks to compare, but I am hopeful that this $4.29 for the chips, and the free bourbon will do the trick!

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
This is a GREAAAAT idea! Though, honestly I am not sure I have a favorite base type recipe yet. I did make 120ml of a recipe I thought had potential with something like this in mind. It isn't that perfect color yet, but my plan was to do 10mls or so of just messing around with stuff, but to add a few drops to the tank to get a general feeling is BRILLIANT! I am going to snatch this idea and run gleefully to the mixing table!

Do you think that maybe an ultrasound run, or a hot water bath would help the flavoring only base to develop? I am not asking because I am in a hurry, just that heat does seem to help meld flavors, as well as bumping around in a US. Though personally I think the heat method works best for custards, just my opinion though. When I want to really bring out seasonings flavors when cooking, I heat them slowly in butter to "bloom" the flavor... I don't really know if it works for these flavorings.... its just a bakers instinct jumping out.

Thank you so much for this idea!

I say it is worth a try some in the hot bath and some naturally and tell us if there is a difference. What I like about it is you only have to dig out your flavors once in a while because 60 of flavoring last a long time. Another good thing is say you like your custard at 17% but wonder what would 12% taste like. instead of figuring out the separate % for your 5 flavors it is all in one bottle. If 12 is too week you can and more right away.

Last edited:

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Hey Kenna, if your still around... I just bought some charred oak chips from the home brew store. The guy there said to soak them in Makers 46 for a few days, and I would have a spot on replacement for old oak bourbon cask. Then, place a few of said chips into my VCT for 2 weeks, the hopeful result? Ripe Vapes VCT Private Reserve!! Might work for that Gentlemans Reserve you are after?

My chips are still soaking, but I did place some un-bourbon soaked chips into a bottle of Claim Your Throne clone, and Boss Reserve Clone. I have never had the originals, but the clone recipes I followed all said the same thing, that the cask aging was missing. I will get a bottle of each of these in a few weeks to compare, but I am hopeful that this $4.29 for the chips, and the free bourbon will do the trick!
Oh! Oh! Oh! I'd thought of doing that, too! Let me know how it goes, I sooooo want a bourbon custard, too. My adv's have been Cotto's Revenge Bourbon Custard & Sophisticated, & Steam Co's Gentleman's Reserve. There is a company near me in Pearland that makes charred oak barrel's, according to my online research, & I was thinking of seeing if they sold bags of chips. What is your source?

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
I say it is worth a try some in the hot bath and some naturally and tell us if there is a difference. What I like about it is you only have to dig out your flavors once in a while because 60 of flavoring last a long time. Another good thing is say you like your custard at 17% but wonder what would 12% taste like. instead of figuring out the separate % for your 5 flavors it is all in one bottle. If 12 is too week you can and more right away.
You are right! it is worth an experiment! Just don't have a recipe that I am super confident in yet.... maybe a basic VC 12% , DLC 2%, and a bit of Butter as those ratios are so basic they could easily be changed.... I will do it tonight!! Will report back in 2 weeks!

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
Oh! Oh! Oh! I'd thought of doing that, too! Let me know how it goes, I sooooo want a bourbon custard, too. My adv's have been Cotto's Revenge Bourbon Custard & Sophisticated, & Steam Co's Gentleman's Reserve. There is a company near me in Pearland that makes charred oak barrel's, according to my online research, & I was thinking of seeing if they sold bags of chips. What is your source?
Just my local home brew store... Seems to be a fairly common practice in the wine/beer making community. When I came across this idea, my thinking was kind of.. it can't hurt. So I went and talked to the beer store guy and gave him a hit off of Private Reserve. He honed right in on all the cask curing flavors, and said definitely the soaked chips would produce those flavors, and if I get the recipe correct then I have a clone! I haven't seen a creditable recipe online yet, but I have a few in steep that might be close. I recently got a honey tobacco flavor that I think might fill the missing tobacco profile, it has been the most elusive of the flavors, well and the oak cure!
Man o man you got some expensive taste!! I love all of those juices, but no way I can afford them as an ADV!!
My chips seems suitably soggy to me, I just put some in the VCT. Just 2 more weeks. (it has been steeping for a month already) My pathetic little $4.29 bag of chips is going to last forever! It says it is enough to do 6 GALLONS!

As a by note: The whiskey I soaked these chips in is noticeably darker and more aromatic, but the wood sucked up a lot of the whiskey! The brew guy explained it would do that because more of the bourbon is in contact with the wood surface, but I really didn't expect this much of a change! I have high hopes for this method! The brew guy also said, not to put in too many of the chips, but just a few and a good 2 weeks steep, slow and long. if you do this, be sure to check your chips that you are soaking every once in a while, I didn't put in enough bourbon to begin with, also used too tiny of a bowl for the whiskey/chips ratio.

Kind of which I was a drinking woman... this whiskey smells divine! Course that's why I don't get to be a drinking woman anymore.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Just my local home brew store... Seems to be a fairly common practice in the wine/beer making community. When I came across this idea, my thinking was kind of.. it can't hurt. So I went and talked to the beer store guy and gave him a hit off of Private Reserve. He honed right in on all the cask curing flavors, and said definitely the soaked chips would produce those flavors, and if I get the recipe correct then I have a clone! I haven't seen a creditable recipe online yet, but I have a few in steep that might be close. I recently got a honey tobacco flavor that I think might fill the missing tobacco profile, it has been the most elusive of the flavors, well and the oak cure!
Man o man you got some expensive taste!! I love all of those juices, but no way I can afford them as an ADV!!
My chips seems suitably soggy to me, I just put some in the VCT. Just 2 more weeks. (it has been steeping for a month already) My pathetic little $4.29 bag of chips is going to last forever! It says it is enough to do 6 GALLONS!

As a by note: The whiskey I soaked these chips in is noticeably darker and more aromatic, but the wood sucked up a lot of the whiskey! The brew guy explained it would do that because more of the bourbon is in contact with the wood surface, but I really didn't expect this much of a change! I have high hopes for this method! The brew guy also said, not to put in too many of the chips, but just a few and a good 2 weeks steep, slow and long. if you do this, be sure to check your chips that you are soaking every once in a while, I didn't put in enough bourbon to begin with, also used too tiny of a bowl for the whiskey/chips ratio.

Kind of which I was a drinking woman... this whiskey smells divine! Course that's why I don't get to be a drinking woman anymore.
This sounds great! I have a vanilla custard with some vanilla cupcake in it that is steeping. I've pulled about 15 - 20 ml off of it to use since I made it 2 weeks ago. I made 120 ml because my test batch was so good after just a 1 hr hot bath, & good shakes several times, d sitting overnight. I used the frother, & hot water bath on the big batch & it was good immediately, too. Better after a few days, with shaking. This is the one I'll try the wood chips on. Can't wait to hear how yours goes!
Those have been the three I could stand the taste of. I've recently had another palate change & found I can use blueberry creams now, but that's the only fruit so far. I guess custards & creams are my thing, & few of those at that. CLR was the first flavored juice I found outside of the peppermint ice I started on, & that kinda spoiled me to bourbon custards. Cognac is good, too. Lazarus Vintage does some of those. But yes, they are expensive, but no where near what I spent on analogs. DIY is bringing the figure down even more now. My major expense at this point is flavorings & I should have that down ths month, other than restocking as I find the ones I'll need all the time. I do need 3 or 4 juices to swap around all the time. But i'll get my 4 & that.ll be it. Unless I see something interesting yummy wise.

Last edited:

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
This sounds great! I have a vanilla custard with some vanilla cupcake in it that is steeping. I've pulled about 15 - 20 ml off of it to use since I made it 2 weeks ago. I made 120 ml because my test batch was so good after just a 1 hr hot bath, & good shakes several times, d sitting overnight. I used the frother, & hot water bath on the big batch & it was good immediately, too. Better after a few days, with shaking. This is the one I'll try the wood chips on. Can't wait to hear how yours goes!
Those have been the three I could stand the taste of. I've recently had another palate change & found I can use blueberry creams now, but that's the only fruit so far. I guess custards & creams are my thing, & few of those at that. CLR was the first flavored juice I found outside of the peppermint ice I started on, & that kinda spoiled me to bourbon custards. Cognac is good, too. Lazarus Vintage does some of those. But yes, they are expensive, but no where near what I spent on analogs. DIY is bringing the figure down even more now. My major expense at this point is flavorings & I should have that down ths month, other than restocking as I find the ones I'll need all the time. I do need 3 or 4 juices to swap around all the time. But i'll get my 4 & that.ll be it. Unless I see something interesting yummy wise.
OMG!!! COGNAC!! I can't believe I hadn't thought of this myself. I have never had a Cognac steeped juice, it sounds divine! Also... Ameretto! I think that would add just a fabulous undertone. Maybe RUM! Then put those Rum soaked chips in a pina colada mix! OMG...This is looking bad, real bad. I see a lot of little jars with wood floating around in them, in my future. Just wish I had a custard recipe I really like already....I will go get those little airline bottles tonight and get those chips to soaking! What do you think.... let the chips steep with the juice the whole time, or presteep the juice for a couple of weeks before adding the chips? or... just try it both and see which works out the best?... like I don't know the answer to that already!

It will be my luck to get this entire process down and creating lovely oaken gold, and I'll have a palate shift.

Heads up, the larger you keep the pieces of wood, the easier it will be to filter afterwards, so be sure to get some wide mouth little jars to do the steeping in. The chips you soak in alcohol will already have the small debris removed, in the alcohol. I found some of those little mason jars that they use to make salt an pepper shakers, at Michaels on the clearance section, four for $2. They are pretty much perfect for 100-120 ml batch. Wish I would have gotten all of them now.... I think the Dollar Tree might carry them as salt shakers. I will use the 4oz little jelly jars for the alcohol soaking and would work for the juice steep too, as long as you don't do over 100ml and loads cheaper! If you can thinking of anything better, do let me know. I am not sure as to whether to put the lids back on or not, but as it is spider season, I covered everything with a tea towel and rubber banded it all down... hopefully that will keep the insects out! as well as dust. But I don't really know if that is best for the steep??? Input/feedback would be appreciated.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I got these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSR0TL8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 to freeze my nic in. 12 for about 1.00 each. I broke down a liter into 120ml in each jar. I had 2 jars left, & I'm using those to mix juices in. They are wide mouth , & are great for the frother, & for using a syringe to pull some out & put into a plastic bottle to fill my tanks. At 120 ml there's room to produce lots of bubbles easily when shaking during steeping. The wide mouth gives the syringe room to wobble around without tipping the bottle over, too. I think there would be plenty of room to add wood chips to, at 120ml per bottle. Are your chips toasted? I know oak barrels that are used for alcohol are. There are like 3 levels or char that are used.
This is the place near me that I found to check out.
http://www.deepsouthbarrels.com/create/Whiskey-Essences?c=237153&c_p=2&page=1
And looky what they sell!
http://www.deepsouthbarrels.com/create_products/Kentucky-Bourbon-Whiskey?c=237153&c_p=1&n=1464818
Wood chips might not be needed with that, just steeping.

We might need to take this off thread to a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread