Status
Not open for further replies.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
any of you vape menthol or mint type juice? I've been a die hard candy cane fan, but when I heard mint is bad for indigestion I forced myself to a different flavor. I didn't notice any difference - or so I thought until I did a day of candy cane....

Not a good thing, spent all day yesterday struggling to breathe :cry: I'm back to my alternative today and will let you know if I feel any relief

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I had an endoscopy done recently and the results showed I had acid re flux. Actually I've had it for quite awhile but it hasn't been bothering me much for the last year or so, but the Dr. gave me some medicine to take for it. I have the list of what to eat, and what not to eat, and basically it's just, if you like it, and it tastes good, you're not supposed to eat it. I've also ordered the wedge to sleep on at nite. I'm also wondering, from you sufferers, how is your nic affecting you, or have you had to give it up?

I don't have Acid Reflux, but I know someone who Does who is a Vaper.

He stopped drinking Sodas completely and eating Anything after 6:00 PM and it dramatically helped. He also put Phone Books under the Bed Post legs at the head of the Bed. That helped also.

He tried Vaping 0mg and said that he Didn't see any real Change. Except yelling at his Wife more than normally.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I haven't had a problem with laying down like I had for awhile, for the last year or so, but I bought a wedge to sleep on anyway. The Pantoprazole I take first thing in the morning seem to keep everything in check. He did prescribe Sucralfate to take 4 times a day for two weeks, but I'm gonna opt out on that one as it's to difficult to work around my other meds. But as it is, I am doing pretty well.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
I rarely do a soda - maybe 1 every 2-3 months and that it's usually a gingerale for indigestion...:facepalm:

I think the culprit is the mint. I've been having to good of a day to
push my luck. Yesterday I was daydreaming on a perfect 70ish day about my new place I'll be moving to shortly. Good thing I didn't have anything planned because even potting up a plant was an all day ordeal and had me gasping for breath.

Reactions: anavidfan

ColdHeartClan

Jul 28, 2017
Madison, Wi
Ive had it for years. Mine comes from the muscle in the top of my stomach will not close all the way. Trust me, I had six holes in my esophagus from the acid. I simply put a block under the top of my bed to elevate it slightly. Vaping has never bothered me. Most foods dont either but milk and bacon are probably the worst.
Whiskey is pretty bad too, at least for me.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Hmmm. I would have a hard time dramatically changing lifestyle when there are no negative symptoms.... Maybe take his advice - but "in moderation"?

I have acid reflux, but only when I "ask for it".
Meaning, it ONLY flares up if I overeat, and then lie down.
Pretty simple, really to not do those 2 things on the same evening, but...well...sometimes I do.
And then I get it pretty bad.

My plan is to basically, do that less often.

So there's not much that gives you relief? Man, I'm glad mine isn't so bad. I rarely feel any discomfort, but the doc says it's there.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I have acid reflux, but only when I "ask for it".
Meaning, it ONLY flares up if I overeat, and then lie down.
Pretty simple, really to not do those 2 things on the same evening, but...well...sometimes I do.
And then I get it pretty bad.

This describes my situation exactly. I was diagnosed with reflux many years ago. The doc put me on 40mg Nexium but after a while the drugstore messed up and didn't get the prescription renewed in time. Prilosec was OTC by then so I bought some and discovered that 40mg of that was just as effective. Been taking it for years and I eat mostly what I want w/o problems but if I overeat I have to sit up half the night. Or sleep sitting up. It's not as restful but I have learned to do it when I have to. I once tried to wean myself off of the Prilosec in favor of Zantac but after about 3 months I had to switch back. Zantac just won't cut it. I have had 3 more endoscopy procedures since my original diagnosis and all were good.

As someone previously mentioned I too have an issue with raw onions. Cooked is fine, but raw will give me instant heartburn.

I also second the recommendation to get anesthesia for the endoscopy (or colonoscopy). It may bother some, but I have had several surgeries during my life and I have to say I have had some of the best rest in my life under general anesthesia. :sleep:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
As someone previously mentioned I too have an issue with raw onions. Cooked is fine, but raw will give me instant heartburn.

Isnt it awful? Its like instant "sick as a dog". Last time I had my favorite onion rings from "The Hat" I got so sick... Except that I didnt puke all over, this was pretty close

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I'll jump in here because I've had some good success, at least when sleeping.

Had bad nighttime experiences since about Thanksgiving. The last one, a few mths ago, was pretty bad. I noticed at that time that I was gassy and thought that maybe the gas is pushing out and the acid is following along.

So in the AM I set to googling about reflux and gas and discovered a few tricks that gave me immediate relief and still does consistently.

After twice a day nightmares previously, now I have zero issues. Pretty much is that I do the quick stretch, rub upper stomach to relieve gas, and try not to lie on my right side much.

Here's some vids to start-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V9utjNWrUs

Vchick

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 18, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Thought I'd post an update - it really did take 3+ weeks for the meds to kick in. But what a difference it has made. Tomato sauce is a big trigger, no issues with raw onions. I stupidly made up 500ml of 50/50 6mg juice the other day :facepalm: big mistake. Back to the 80/20vg and much better. I've got enough supplies to right the wrong so it's all good. How's everyone else doing?

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    Hi Vchick, Im so glad you are feeling better. Once they kick in life is so much more pleasant.

Ive been VERY stressed and Ive been having trouble keeping "things" down. The heat does not help with my stress levels and of course my stomach is letting me know, that I am NOT happy. So its yogurt and really bland foods, cause I cant give up my coffee. Ive given up spicy foods, and so much other favorite things, but coffee I just cant live without. I love coffee, so if its bland baby foods , then so it is....

I hope all of you that suffer from GERD, Acid Reflux or what ever label its been given to us, that you are able to control your environment. Its the biggest factor in your having a comfortable life. Unfortunately I cant change my living situation so Im in agony most of the time, but it is what it is.

Breathe, relax and enjoy...

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    Love to find a low acid coffee or tea. Vchick, 80pg helps? Guess I could go back to that.
    Its not so much that a specific bean is lower in acid, its how you make it. A traditional coffee maker produces a higher acid coffee. I found its a lot more work to make a coffee that is good and lower in acid. I LOVE using the Aeropress, kinda in the spirit of espresso , in that it runs the coffee through fast and right into your cup and less contact with the oils and tannins.

I buy a medium to light roast, but even darker roasts come out easier on the stomach when I use the aeropress. Cons, you can only make one cup at a time, takes more time, but I treat myself at least once a day with that. In the summer, especially with this heat here in S. Calif, I use instant more often lately.

Just thought Id share , a fellow cof-fiend told me about the Aeropress and it has allowed me to enjoy a real cup of coffee without the agony.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hi Vchick, Im so glad you are feeling better. Once they kick in life is so much more pleasant.

Ive been VERY stressed and Ive been having trouble keeping "things" down. The heat does not help with my stress levels and of course my stomach is letting me know, that I am NOT happy. So its yogurt and really bland foods, cause I cant give up my coffee. Ive given up spicy foods, and so much other favorite things, but coffee I just cant live without. I love coffee, so if its bland baby foods , then so it is....

I hope all of you that suffer from GERD, Acid Reflux or what ever label its been given to us, that you are able to control your environment. Its the biggest factor in your having a comfortable life. Unfortunately I cant change my living situation so Im in agony most of the time, but it is what it is.

Breathe, relax and enjoy...
    Just wanted to pop back in here and say that I am sorry that your body and life situation is doing so poorly. Hope that changes for you sooner than later.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread