Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I had an endoscopy done recently and the results showed I had acid re flux. Actually I've had it for quite awhile but it hasn't been bothering me much for the last year or so, but the Dr. gave me some medicine to take for it. I have the list of what to eat, and what not to eat, and basically it's just, if you like it, and it tastes good, you're not supposed to eat it. I've also ordered the wedge to sleep on at nite. I'm also wondering, from you sufferers, how is your nic affecting you, or have you had to give it up?

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I was just thinking about this a moment ago. I have acid reflux and its bad.

I never got a list of what to not eat, but Im sure everything I like is on it. I know coffee is one of those "should nots" but I LOVE coffee and I will drink it unless the day comes when I take a sip and I go kaboom. Ive sort of figured out what definitely is not tolerated, and many of those are my favorite things to eat, but I rather give them up than give up my coffee.

I cant eat anything in amounts that are over a bit less than a cup. I cant eat all the spicy foods and cant eat raw onions and if I do eat onions they have to be grilled to death.

I know that vaping affects me, so but since I went down to 3mg and 0 at night its much better. Coffee and vaping are things I will keep doing unless its really , really , really bad.

The wedge does help a LOT, but if youre a side sleeper it will take some getting used to, it took a LONG time for me to get used to sleeping on my back and with the wedge it was a bit easier, especially if I leave the TV on a timer. If I just go to sleep without the TV its really hard to stay on my back and I have horrible nightmares.

Take care of it, and try to keep unstressed. For me that is the part I cant control. I have problems with anxiety and stress hits me like a shot of adrenaline. That is the worst thing for acid reflux.

I hope the meds help and try not to over eat and stay nice and calm and "cool"

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Well, at this point in my life, I don't have any stress, so that's good. There's probably some things I'll cut back on, and some I won't, unless I absolutely have to. Things like onions, raw or cooked, spicy foods, I have learned to avoid over the last few years. I'll just have to see what else I can cut out, or cut back on as I go on from here. I'll mix up some 0 nic to try for the evening hours, and see if it helps any.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Most likely if you dont have stress and youre already controlling your self from known food irritants, you will take the prescription and it will heal and you'll be fine.

I can tell you from experience, that stress is the worst thing. I can be fine and if something stresses me out or upsets me, its like someone shot a bit of pure acid evil straight to the top of my stomach. I will feel the burn, an then its pure sizzle to the throat.

I wont go into the horrible gastric details, but usually ends up with my stomach doing its best to get rid of it.

It has messed up my teeth and I have to take 40mg daily probably for the rest of my life of Omerprazole (Prilosec) If I miss a dose, within a few hours, I start with the pain and nausea.

Only thing that would probably "cure" me of this would be if I left everything and "EVERY ONE" that affects me, and that I just cant do for now.

I hope you start to feel better soon. Anisette tea really helps and so does a big Ol bottle of Sodium Bicarbonate tablets for the instant help.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
Timely topic - I was "diagnosed" with copd 4 years after I stopped smoking and started vaping. I started at 24mg and have been at 6mg for the past 3-4 years.

I was extremely frustrated and questioned the diagnosis, as I wasn't having any lung issues per se, went to the pulmonologist, etc. put on 3 inhalers with no relief.

Fast forward to this year, still unconvinced I have copd, and breathing issues have progressed to the point I don't have a life. Now I find out I have "silent reflux" along with a sliding hiatal hernia.

Here's the kicker - silent reflux happens at night, no other symptoms and it's often misdiagnosed as copd. Noisy breathing, hoarseness, trouble breathing. It also erodes the esophagus and with strictures causes narrowing and inflammation - MAKING IT HARD TO BREATH. The sliding hiatal hernia also pushes against the diaphragm which is next to the lungs.

Doc just prescribed 40mg of omiprezole a day, and to help the throat/esophagus inflammation I picked up some minuka honey.
Should start to see some relief within the next 2-3 weeks and hoping to kick all those inhalers to the curb :grr:

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Ive had it for years. Mine comes from the muscle in the top of my stomach will not close all the way. Trust me, I had six holes in my esophagus from the acid. I simply put a block under the top of my bed to elevate it slightly. Vaping has never bothered me. Most foods dont either but milk and bacon are probably the worst.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
I hope you kick it Vchick. I'm also on the omiprezole, also some liquid that I'm supposed to drink 3-4 times a day for two weeks.

Thank you, you also

Ive had it for years. Mine comes from the muscle in the top of my stomach will not close all the way. Trust me, I had six holes in my esophagus from the acid. I simply put a block under the top of my bed to elevate it slightly. Vaping has never bothered me. Most foods dont either but milk and bacon are probably the worst.

Funny thing is I've always slept propped up. Fat & acids they say are the worst, stands to reason when I couldn't sleep I'd get up and have a piece of cheese :cry:

And if you think e-liquid is expensive, look up the price medical grade manuka honey...:shock:

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
It has messed up my teeth and I have to take 40mg daily probably for the rest of my life of Omerprazole (Prilosec) If I miss a dose, within a few hours, I start with the pain and nausea.

That's the other weird thing, I've had to have 3 root canals & 5 crowns in the past two months, which I thought was extremely weird, normally a filling here and there.....now I understand

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
That's the other weird thing, I've had to have 3 root canals & 5 crowns in the past two months, which I thought was extremely weird, normally a filling here and there.....now I understand

Dont know about you, but I get nauseous a lot. I cant eat any thing in any amount over maybe a cup at a time. Then I have to be careful not to bend over or drink liquids with food etc.

I throw up at a drop of a hat, and that is really bad on the teeth. I just had a sandwich and then dropped something and had to pick it up and now Im struggling

I had to have a root canal and gave up a couple of teeth because I could not afford the crown on 3 teeth. Ive also had 6 cavities filled and still have a couple of fillings to do. I never got cavities when I was young, now just in the last 10 years my teeth have gotten really bad.

You'd think I was thin or skinny, but Im not. Im hungry all the time.

Reactions: Vchick

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
20mg O per day before breakfast here and no more upper bellyache.

Warning - don't get an endoscopy done without anesthesia.
Sober 29 years and I hate anesthesia or anything that alters my consciousness.
I got it done with just the xylocaine spray.
I thought "I should be alright once it's past the gag reflex..."
NOPE. I retched the whole time.
It felt like I was being invaded by an alien facehugger.
One of the worst 10 days (actually less than a minute) of my life.

Actual picture of the procedure below

alienfacehugger2.jpg

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
20mg O per day before breakfast here and no more upper bellyache.

Warning - don't get an endoscopy done without anesthesia.
Sober 29 years and I hate anesthesia or anything that alters my consciousness.
I got it done with just the xylocaine spray.
I thought "I should be alright once it's past the gag reflex..."
NOPE. I retched the whole time.
It felt like I was being invaded by an alien facehugger.
One of the worst 10 days (actually less than a minute) of my life.

Actual picture of the procedure below

View attachment 674921

OM-goodness, that is pretty much spot on.

Some days its all day, anything I eat or drink brings on that horrible sour feeling.

I try to eat, but it all makes me feel just like that still.

Its gonna be bad again, so many things are "freakin be out" right now. Either I have to take lorazapham and feel like Zombie or feel sick, shaky, and CRAZY

ren+stimpy+barf.jpg

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Its psycho-somatic for me, from what I gather and from the doctors tests....

I get anxiety attacks, I get chest pains, my arm goes numb and when I go to Dr or ER, everything is normal.

WHen anxiety hits me I can actually feel the adrenaline go through me as if I just drank 5 shots of espresso. I break out in a sweat, my head starts to pound, all sounds go muffled like in a movie.

If Im aware of something that is stressful I can work through it sometimes, by using mind over matter and trying to think rational. But even when I do well, at getting through the bad symptoms, my stomach is always affected.

Im working on it, but life always gets in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread