Advice Please! DIY Flavor Extraction - Glycerite Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian_Miller

Unregistered Supplier
Mar 25, 2016
Atlanta, GA
www.mcpeliquids.com
I'm new to DIY e-liquid - have had simple success using premade flavorings and all of that, but wanted to get into making my own flavors, naturally, from real ingredients. I started off simply:

12 Mason Jars
1 Gallon USP Food Grade VG
Lemons
Cucumbers
Coffee
Chai Tea (loose leaf)
Hibiscus Lemongrass Tea (loose leaf)

Having done a bit of research, I found that pure VG can be used to extract flavors from raw plant material, so I tried this (as I have no desire to use alcohol in this process whatsoever). For the lemons and cucumber I peeled off enough rind to nearly fill 6 mason jars (2 cucumber, 4 lemon) and for the other ingredients I just nearly filled 2 mason jars, and then poured VG into all of them, filling them almost to the top. The jars have been sitting in a closet, no sunlight, a little below room temperature, and have been agitated almost daily for over a month.

Here is the problem.

Today I decided to do a taste test and see how the extractions were coming along. When the jar of lemon rinds and VG was opened, it smelled fantastic, but when I dripped a bit of the now-yellow VG onto my H-Atty and vaped it, it tasted awful. Like old, rotting plant matter.

The hibiscus lemongrass tasted the same way. As did the chai tea, though I could actually tast the chai a bit.

I don't know why this is - The liquid in the mason jars smells wonderful! Do I need to restart this whole process replacing the VG with PG? Do I need to ad PG such that the flavor will be carried into the vapor?

I really hope I don't have to start from scratch. Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this process or any suggestions.

Bootiewootsy

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2014
Port Orange, Florida, USA
I have never used vg to get my flavors. I always use Pg and heat the for about 5 seconds in the microwave, but never made as much as you do in one batch. I usually make 30 mil.. I have never had bad results.. Of course before vaping I add my vg,nic and sweetness to taste.. Different flavors will need different steeping time. Most I usually can vape right away. Before adding the nic or sweetness if desired, I add the vg to the flavor after filtering and once again I micro wave for 5 seconds and shake to get them mixing. Then I add the rest.. Good luck

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I think bunnykiller is correct. You have no way of separating the oils and no way of preserving the extract. You are dealing with real fruit and such. You can extract things like tobacco because there are no oils to deal with. I extract my tobacco with VG. It does have to cook longer than PG but I prefer the flavor.

ufosnowcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Aalst, Belgium
thats actually on my to do list of things to try next (making my own flavours) bu there is not that much info to be found (not where i was looking)

most seem to be using alcohol or pg to extract the flavours

its the oils.... when heated, they release the yuck... :)

thats why alcohol and freezing is used to separate the oils from the extract...

do tell me more :smokie:

Brian_Miller

Unregistered Supplier
Mar 25, 2016
Atlanta, GA
www.mcpeliquids.com
its the oils.... when heated, they release the yuck... :)

thats why alcohol and freezing is used to separate the oils from the extract...

Please elaborate. Are you saying that the oil in the lemons and the cucumbers is what is causing the problem? By that logic, the coffee and chai should be okay at least....and there shouldn't be any oil in the hibiscus lemongrass tea, it was bone dry.

What is the process to separate the oils from the extracts by freezing?

when experimenting.... use small quantities :)
if you fail, fail cheaply

All in all I'll be out about $15 for the lemons, cucumbers, tea and VG. I figure I can wash the mason jars thoroughly enough to be able to reuse them.

Brian_Miller

Unregistered Supplier
Mar 25, 2016
Atlanta, GA
www.mcpeliquids.com
It's definitely the oils, oil generally being combustible will burn at a lower temperature, the flash point of lemon oil is 48 degrees Celsius, generally we're vaping at 100+ degrees Celsius....

While the VG/PG evaporates at higher temperature you are basically burning the oil...

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Is there any way that I can extract a natural lemon flavor then? It's one of my favorite flavors....

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
when extracting coffie, I found higher temps work best ( 180-190F)

I made a rather mean juice once from habenero and wasabi... it was called wasabenero... basically unvapable :)

Wasabi? Brings to mind my eyes watering, sinuses cleared in a flash and reaching for a glass of milk to cool the burn! I like Wasabi on Japanese food or Sushi but vaping it? Daring aren't you?
Must have been one heck of a throat hit............. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread