Express Method vs Slow Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsetter

Dec 30, 2014
Ive done my first extraction today and am very pleasantly surprised at the outcome...using rolling tobacco

I loaded a mason jar halfway with tobacco and filled it with 75/25 pg/vg just enough to cover it, then closed the lid and placed it in boiling water and turned off the heat. When the water got cool enough to submerge my finger, id take the jar out and boil the water again, turn it off and place the jar back in..did this 3 times. The water level is the same level as the tobacco mix in the jar.

So, im just wondering how the flavor by using this method compares to the 3 day slow cooker method...the flavor using this method is already quite strong and it taste just like the tobacco when smoked, but even smoother.

Has someone done a comparison?

Final ratio im using for vaping is 25% extract , but havent tried it after steeping yet (hoping i can go down to 10% after steeping to reduce coil gunk)....i just finished boiling like 2 hours ago ...LOL

Last edited:

Jetsetter

Dec 30, 2014
a few hours later and im now down to 10% extract, 25% is clogging my coils....10% seems to be a good compromise in flavor and coil life without any steeping yet.

photo0013.jpg

Attachments

• photo0013.jpg
    photo0013.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

dodari

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2011
New Mexico
Ive done my first extraction today and am very pleasantly surprised at the outcome...using rolling tobacco

I loaded a mason jar halfway with tobacco and filled it with 75/25 pg/vg just enough to cover it, then closed the lid and placed it in boiling water and turned off the heat. When the water got cool enough to submerge my finger, id take the jar out and boil the water again, turn it off and place the jar back in..did this 3 times. The water level is the same level as the tobacco mix in the jar.

So, im just wondering how the flavor by using this method compares to the 3 day slow cooker method...the flavor using this method is already quite strong and it taste just like the tobacco when smoked, but even smoother.

Final ratio im using for vaping is 25% extract , but havent tried it after steeping yet (hoping i can go down to 10% after steeping to reduce coil gunk)....i just finished boiling like 2 hours ago ...LOL

Very interesting indeed. I have some questions if you would not mind.

What rolling tobacco did you use? I've got some Prince Albert, Velvet and American Spirit on hand.

After extracting did you filter it and if so maybe through a coffee filter? I don't have anything else right now to use for that.

Thanks for the help. Interesting.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

Congratulations on your first tobacco extraction! When it comes to juice (including NET), everyone's taste preference is different. I would suggest trying several extraction methods and compare the results to see which you prefer. Personally, when it comes to heat assisted extractions, I like to "cook" my sealed macerations in 140 - 150F water for 80 hours. I've tried high temperature short duration extractions but found the flavor to be somewhat muddled, however others have reported liking the results.

I use PG, PGA and purified water for extraction solvents, makes filtering a breeze. VG makes filtering too difficult.

Filtering is an important step. Some people use cotton balls stuffed in a syringe to filter their extracts, others use 5 micron filter felt. I use a three step filtering process starting with a common unbleached coffee filter for separating the tobacco from the solvent. I then pour the solvent through filter felt before proceeding to the final 2 micron (lab paper), filtration. Without filtration, coils and wicks suffer a quick, gunky death.

Most people mix their extracts at 15 - 30% but again, it depends on individual taste preference and strength of the extract used. I currently mix at 5 - 9% but am using condensed extract.

Jetsetter

Dec 30, 2014
Very interesting indeed. I have some questions if you would not mind.

What rolling tobacco did you use? I've got some Prince Albert, Velvet and American Spirit on hand.

After extracting did you filter it and if so maybe through a coffee filter? I don't have anything else right now to use for that.

Thanks for the help. Interesting.

Hi Dodari,

im living in asia at the moment and used a local rolling tobacco about the same grade as Golden Virginia.

The first filter was through an old t-shirt, second and third filter was through a 20ml syringe with a cotton ball inside.

But i have to step up the filtering as this was just a preliminary trial.

Last edited:

Jetsetter

Dec 30, 2014
Congratulations on your first tobacco extraction! When it comes to juice (including NET), everyone's taste preference is different. I would suggest trying several extraction methods and compare the results to see which you prefer. Personally, when it comes to heat assisted extractions, I like to "cook" my sealed macerations in 140 - 150F water for 80 hours. I've tried high temperature short duration extractions but found the flavor to be somewhat muddled, however others have reported liking the results.

I use PG, PGA and purified water for extraction solvents, makes filtering a breeze. VG makes filtering too difficult.

Filtering is an important step. Some people use cotton balls stuffed in a syringe to filter their extracts, others use 5 micron filter felt. I use a three step filtering process starting with a common unbleached coffee filter for separating the tobacco from the solvent. I then pour the solvent through filter felt before proceeding to the final 2 micron (lab paper), filtration. Without filtration, coils and wicks suffer a quick, gunky death.

Most people mix their extracts at 15 - 30% but again, it depends on individual taste preference and strength of the extract used. I currently mix at 5 - 9% but am using condensed extract.

The extract was crazy strong when i drained it. I filtered when the extract was still hot to get a lower viscosity. Was going to filter cold, but noticed it was way thicker compared to hot....and figured it would be easier to squeeze the juice out of the tobacco when hot as well...and im not sure, but i have a suspicion that when it cools some of the flavor and whatever else is in the extract, retreats back into the tobacco when it cools down, do to contraction.

yes, i used a 20ml syringe and a cotton ball to filter, it was kinda fun :)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
3 days steeping and its getting smoother with fruity notes coming through now, starting to taste like chocolate plums and a bit nutty. Man this stuff is good.

maybe its time for some Borkum Riff Cherry?

Some people catch "shiny-itus" and buy every shiny new piece of gear that becomes available, others become "juice junkies" buying a never ending stream of new flavors to try and ending up with gallons of juice they will likely never actually finish. For me and many other home extractors (you know who you are), it's the variety of tobaccos available with each new blend offering the hope of being the "holy grail" of extracted tobacco flavors. Get Borkum Riff's Cherry, but I must warn you, extracting tobacco can easily become an addictive yet rewarding hobby.....
:toast:

Hafaza

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2015
WA State, USA
After only a little time vaping I became unsatisfied with the search for flavor process. Nothing worked. I decided that I was trying to reinvent the wheel and thought I would go back to what my mouth was accustomed to for 30 years, tobacco. So yesterday I took some (found in my old hunting jacket pocket, :?:) Natural American Spirit Organic (red pouch) and put in a jar. Covered it with PG and dropped it in the slow cooker thinking that what was good for steeping was probably good for this too.

This morning I had a panic attack that it was probably all wrong, that it surely could not be that simple. I dashed to my computer, entered “American Spirit” and ended up here, amazed that there was an entire sub-forum dedicated to this. I cannot possibly cover all the several thousand posts in order to get up to speed on a batch already cooking, but it appears that I did not error by much.

- About 5-10 grams of loose tobacco.
- About 30-40 ml of PG
- Slow cooker (~150°F) 12 hours on 12 hours off, two cycles so far, planning on three
- Filter 3 or 4 times through unbleached coffee filters
- Sample then bottle for sitting on shelf for a few weeks of steeping

I am not horribly off track am I? :unsure:

Thanks, reading, reading, reading…..

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
..........................................I am not horribly off track am I? :unsure:

Thanks, reading, reading, reading…..

Adequate PG to completely cover the tobacco, three 12 hour on-off cycles processed @ ~150F, as long as the tobacco was still viable everything looks/sounds ok to me. One problem, coffee filters likely won't provide adequate filtration no matter how many times you filter with them, your coil/wick may gunk up pretty quickly. If you end up liking the flavor and decide to continue extracting you might consider additional filtration. Let us know how it turns out.

While I've been extracting tobacco for two years I only stumbled upon this sub-forum about a year ago. Since then, and with the help of this forum and its many contributors, the quality of my NET has greatly increased. The difference between what I was producing a year ago and what I make now is like night and day. Lots of information here and some great people too.

Reactions: Devilstompa

Hafaza

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2015
WA State, USA
Thanks for the confirm. Tobacco was from last fall, in original pouch and then wrapped in zip lock baggie. It was still moist and smelled good (way to good to be honest :mad:). I will take your advice and see if the pet store has some polyester filter media available. I read in a few other threads that 5 micron was the size to shoot for.

Thank you

erwincl56

Verified Member
Jan 25, 2015
Hot Springs, SD, USA
Some people catch "shiny-itus" and buy every shiny new piece of gear that becomes available, others become "juice junkies" buying a never ending stream of new flavors to try and ending up with gallons of juice they will likely never actually finish. For me and many other home extractors (you know who you are), it's the variety of tobaccos available with each new blend offering the hope of being the "holy grail" of extracted tobacco flavors. Get Borkum Riff's Cherry, but I must warn you, extracting tobacco can easily become an addictive yet rewarding hobby.....
:toast:
You can say that again. I started DIY NETS when I couldn't find a Clove Cigar NET. I now have 2 different clove NETs and a Ashton cigar NET. Next is some English pipe tobacco NETs. OMG! I'm addicted! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread