The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Extracting Tobacco Flavoring

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Kirbysmusclecar, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Kirbysmusclecar

Kirbysmusclecar Full Member

Nov 26, 2010
    California
    I have done some natural tobacco extracts in the past 6 months, and have found a great recipe for those who DIY and want a cigarette close vape. All my extracts taste like the smell of a freshly opened pack of cigarettes but with hints of ashy, burny and sweet mix to them. Here is the link of my first documentation of my first several extracts.

Extracting flavors naturally - Page 4

The process is simple, easy and a bit time consuming

Take 1 cup of tobacco
    half a cup of alcohol
    1 cup of VG

Place mix in any glass jar (Beaker, Mason Jar or what ever glass that can be capped)
    Let sit for 30 - 45 days (depending on how bad you wanna wait)
    Then sit the mix jar in boiling water for 25 minutes to kill the nicotine
    once cooled to a temperature where you can handle it, filter it through coffee filters or very thin mesh filters made for coffee that I use several times to clean the extract free of tobacco particles.

Once done you will get a clear clean tobacco flavoring easy to use in any atty or carto, and mixes well in any variation of e-juice. I have tried 70/30, 50/50 and 100%VG mixes and vapes fine in each juice.
    Tobacco extract and mix.jpg 5ml bottle.jpg 2012-01-28 12.15.33.jpg

Hope you DIY'ers enjoy this process I took the time coming up with.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Youmadbrah

Youmadbrah Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Cairo,Egypt
    Thank you very much man!!

3. Kirbysmusclecar

Nov 26, 2010
    California
    I wonder how much you noticed Buzz and Woody in the background of the 3rd photo. Haha my office is in the supposedly childs room.

4. vicsan

vicsan Sparky Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    IL
    Why do you kill the nicotine? From what I have read, tobacco extractions give you a miniscule amount of nicotine, so mixed with your nic juice, it won't matter that much. Is there a reason to kill the nicotine other than worrying about too much nicotine in your juice?

5. Kirbysmusclecar

Nov 26, 2010
    California
    I kill the nicotine because im already leaning to vaping no nicotine at all. So in the future i just need the flavoring. out of it.

6. Kurt

Kurt Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I think the ethanol is going to get too much actual plant molecules, like proteins and polysaccharides. Neither ethanol or VG are getting nicotine in any significant quantities. Ethanol might get the tobacco specific nitrosamines (carcinogens), however, and if you are using American tobacco which is likely fermented, those are in elevated amounts.

You might try my tobacco essence, which is a fast cook in hot VG, then straining.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/liquid-extraction-tobacco/99774-vg-pipe-tobacco-essense.html

Yours will probably taste great, but might get hard on attys (the tobacco essence certainly is), and you may be getting some bad compounds too. Just my opinion.

7. Shilo

Shilo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2011
    Here & There
    Thanks for sharing this Kirby :) I don't know that I could wait that long-- you are patient. All extracted tobaccos are hard on cartos etc no matter what method used but so are alot of other flavorings. If it tastes good and keeps you off analogs its worth it. Can I ask what tobacco you are using?

8. Kirbysmusclecar

Nov 26, 2010
    California
    My first couple experiments were done from Bugler rolling Turkish tobacco just to get an idea of how to do it. I later used some moist Kentucky, Virginia and other pipe tobaccos I picked up from a Tobacco shop. My method of extract came from food extracting really, I have done several fruits and plants to use the flavoring in food and eliquid. Waiting so long just allows the alcohol and VG to soak up the flavoring better. It was a long process but honestly when you just put it to the side time goes by pretty fast.

9. pinellaspete

pinellaspete Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Check out the "impatient newbie" thread in the Tobacco Extraction Forum above. I have done considerable research on how to make tinctures and glycerites. I have photos and explanations of my experiments there.

So far everything has turned out great.

Pete

10. Kirbysmusclecar

Nov 26, 2010
    California
    Lol not sure how that was meant to be put out, I may be new to ECF or post little but I have been around lurking the site for over a year and half.

11. Shilo

Shilo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2011
    Here & There
    Kirby thats the name of a thread by the original poster in the tobacco extraction forum-- he wasn't referring to you :)

12. paulyc44

paulyc44 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 8, 2009
    What happens to the alcohol? Does it evaporate when boiling? If not, isn't it now part of the juice? Am I missing something?

13. claud

claud Full Member Verified Member

Dec 20, 2011
    netherlands
    besides nicotine, tobacco has like 400 harmfull ingredients,
    what happens to the tar and all that stuff, are we subtracting that from the tobacco and putting it in our vapes?
    doesnt that make the vape just like a cigarette? (which we wanted to avoid)
    even in tiny amounts, I'm just wondering...

14. Malawi

Malawi Full Member Verified Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Tar is AFAIK a byproduct of smoke. Wit no smouldering, there should be no tar.

15. k3vin

k3vin Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    OK USA
    Excellent I shall try it soon

16. Kirbysmusclecar

Nov 26, 2010
    California
    Alcohol like in foods become non existant since once boiled it has no effect compared if you just drank a beer. Heat kills alcohol also. I do not even have the alcohol smell in the flavorings because of it.

17. suziewright

suziewright Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2012
    Texas
    What type of alcohol?

18. Kirbysmusclecar

Nov 26, 2010
    California
    My first trials were some cheap vodka, but the higher content of alcohol makes it better of an extract. I have been using what ever pure grain alcohol I can find at my local Walmart with the highest alcohol content. A bottle goes a long way since i do not drink it lol.

19. tomzgreat
    This message by tomzgreat has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Oct 31, 2012, Reason: deleted per Poster's Request.
    Aug 28, 2012
  20. Edstasic

Edstasic Full Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Mexico
    Please read Kurt's topic too: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/liquid-extraction-tobacco/99774-vg-pipe-tobacco-essense.html theres some talk about using alcohol WHEN BOILING but it may be different when already boiled and just as an addition to the almost finished mix.

Apparently using alcohol in the first process might give us some very unwanted materials. Im by no means an expert so i might be terribly wrong but my best suggestion is to read that topic a very good read too.

Thank you for all this awesome info guys.

21. tomzgreat
    This message by tomzgreat has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Oct 31, 2012, Reason: deleted per Poster's Request.
    Oct 1, 2012
  22. Spcishs84

Spcishs84 Full Member

I would like to know what "alcohol" you use in the process? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.