• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Age of the Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't

"They say, light from distant galaxies can take millions of year to reach our planet. This is true, but the galaxies haven't always been this far apart. The current distance between galaxies is not an indicator of the age of the universe.

I don't subscribe to the idea that the universe is only 6,000 years old, however, Causal Contact, the speed of light and relative motion bring into question the age of the universe."
    ---------------------------------
    larkstoungeinaspic4 hours ago
    At the time of the big bang, the galaxies weren't formed, so it isn't accurate to say the galaxies have existed from the beginning of time.

ANSWER
    2consider3 hours ago

2consider3 hours ago
    This true, but it doesn't matter. Suppose you and I are standing next to each other. You go east and I go west, as long as the separation is less than the speed og light, and provided our eyes were efficient enough, we would always be visible to each other. Now if several people joined you as you were walking, I would be able to see all the people walking with you. So as it began, you were one particle, and other particles joined uou making one large particle, it wouldn't change the fact that you would still be visible. Not only that, lets say as you were walking away, you exploded into millions of smaller you's, I could see all of the you's. and all of them could see you and me. If you exploded into many smaller you's, some of them would actually move back toward me, which would distort the perception of time and distance.
    ---------------------------------

"Such a theory is predicted by M-Theory, which gives the Multiverse picture of curved Space-Time in 11 Dimensions which, through quantum mechanics, create many scalar fields that couple at different strengths in each universe creating a different set of physical laws in each universe.
    Not all universes could be suitable for life, each universe seems to have the Planck Constant encoded into it, as it is the Uncertainty Principle and the Sum over Histories that lead to the Multiverse picture in the first place, however the coupling strengths of gravity and electromagnetism are completely arbitrary in this view.

In some of these Universes, Electromagnetism could be very strongly coupled in certain schemes meaning that basic chemistry would not arise in some universes. In other Universes the Strong Nuclear force may be too weak to give sufficient binding energy to atomic nuclei, making fusion impossible. In other Universes, Gravity may be coupled far more strongly, creating a Universe of Galaxy Cluster-sized black holes. Other Universes still may be composed of nothing but vacuum energy.

Hence we must be living in a Universe suitable for life as we are here observing it, that is the nature of The Anthropic Principle which is used to answer the question, "why is the universe the way it is?" However, the true meaning of the answer comes from Theoretical Physics and M-Theory: The Universe need not be suitable for life, our one just happens to be."

Last edited:
    Reactions: VapinBill
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread