Prue Talbot conducts study on ECF posts, grossly misrepresents facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
At next week's Society of Toxicology national meeting in San Antonio, e-cigarette prohibitionist and junk scientist Prue Talbot (and/or her research colleagues) will be presenting the following. Highlighted in red is her assertion that a "significant proportion of the data (from ECF) showed . . . adverse health effects."

A second study to be presented by Talbot et al claims that particles of several metals were found in at least one unspecified e-cigarette sample measuring several microns and several hundred nanometers, that she claims "are often above minimal risk levels".

Health-Related Effects Reported by Electronic Cigarette Users in Online Forums. M. Hua, M. Alfi and P. Talbot. Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of California. Riverside, Riverside, CA. Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) are battery-operated devices that deliver aerosolized nicotine to users without burning tobacco. Because little data exists on their health effects, we explored the symptoms that e-cigarette use has on humans by analyzing online user posts from three e-cigarette forums with “health and safety” sections. Basic information (location, age, and gender) and health (symptoms and doctor diagnosed signs) information were collected. A total of 405 symptoms (78 positive, 326 negative and 1 neutral) were reported in three forums. Most data analysis was performed on Electronic Cigarette Forum (ECF) posts. A total of 12 systems/anatomical regions were affected in e-cigarette users. Systems most often affected include: mouth and throat, respiratory, neurological, sensory, and digestive. The majority of negative health effects occurred in the respiratory system. We further consolidated reported symptoms into categories to determine which anatomical regions/physiological processes were most affected for each system. For consolidated data, symptoms were most frequently reported for: bronchi/lungs (e.g., wheezing, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing), throat; neurological (headaches), intestine/digestion, and sight. To analyze interactions between systems, interactions were created with Cytoscape software. Interactions were most frequently seen between circulatory/neurological; respiratory/mouth and throat; respiratory/chest, and digestive/neurological systems. Increased blood pressure was the most frequently reported sign diagnosed by physicians treating e-cigarette users. While some positive health effects were reported, a significant proportion of the data showed a correlation with e-cigarette use and onset of adverse health effects. This study is the first to compile and quantitatively assess health data associated with e-cigarette use from online forums.

Identification of Metal and Silicate Particles Including Nanoparticles in Electronic Cigarette Fluid and Aerosol. M. T. Williams1, A. Villarreal1, K. Bozhilov2, S. Lin1 and P. Talbot1. 1Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of California, Riverside, Riverside, CA; 2Central Facility for Advanced Microscopy, University of California Riverside, Riverside, CA. Electronic cigarettes (EC) deliver aerosol by heating fluid containing nicotine, flavorings, and a humectant. EC cartomizers combine the fluid chamber and heating element in a single unit. Because EC do not burn tobacco, they may be safer than conventional cigarettes. Their use is rapidly increasing worldwide with little prior testing of their aerosol. We hypothesized that EC aerosol contains metals derived from the various components. Cartomizer contents and aerosols were analyzed using microscopy, cytotoxicity testing, x-ray microanalysis, particle counting, and inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry. A nickel-chromium filament was coupled to a thicker silver coated copper wire. The silver coating was sometimes missing. Four tin solder joints attached the wires to each other and coupled the copper/silver wire to the air tube and mouthpiece. All cartomizers had evidence of use before packaging (burn spots on the fibers and electrophoretic movement of fluid in the fibers). Fibers in two cartomizers had green deposits that contained copper. Centrifugation of the fibers produced large pellets containing tin. Tin particles and tin whiskers were identified in cartridge fluid and outer fibers. Cartomizer fluid with tin particles was cytotoxic in assays using human pulmonary fibroblasts. The aerosol contained particles >1μm comprised of tin, silver, iron, nickel, aluminum, and silicate and nanoparticles (< 100 nm) of tin, chromium, and nickel. Of 22 elements identified, 12 were present in concentrations higher than the minimum risk level. Many of the elements identified in EC aerosol are known to cause respiratory distress and disease. The presence of metal and silicate particles in cartomizer aerosol, often above minimal risk levels, demonstrates the need for improved quality control in EC design and manufacture and studies on how EC aerosol impacts the health of users and bystanders.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Are they basing the information people post where they blame everything that happens to them on vaping? Not a controlled study in my opinion. For heaven's sake!

I always wondered if there were lurkers from the antiz in the forum to distort what people say. Vaping is much, much better than the mind altering Chantix!!!

I wonder if they noted there's a correlation between complaining and something not going right?

I never commented on half the positive "symptoms" I have because, let's face it, I kind of expect that they'll happen. I did comment on the two negative symptoms I temporarily had because they bothered me and I wanted advice.

The metals bit I can't comment on, but I'm sure others can.

Are they basing the information people post where they blame everything that happens to them on vaping? Not a controlled study in my opinion. For heaven's sake!

I always wondered if there were lurkers from the antiz in the forum to distort what people say. Vaping is much, much better than the mind altering Chantix!!!

Got that right. I never almost committed murder while vaping. Chantix, not so much.

Even my doctor was shocked it took four months to control my moderate depression again after that stuff. I was all over the map for rather longer than I care to remember. That doesn't even include the nausea, headaches, and generally feeling awful.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
While there are probably several hundred postings on ECF that mention a minor adverse health effect they experienced from an e-cigarette,
there are several million postings on ECF (i.e. virtually all other postings on ECF) by folks who experienced positive health outcomes from using e-cigarettes (as that's the only reason they visited or posted on ECF).

In other words, <1% of postings on ECF mention an adverse health outcome from using an e-cigarette.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
That is an awesome way to do a study, ignore the thousands of posts of people quitting smoking and reporting significant health gains while using ones that people confuse withdrawal symptoms with side effects due to lack of knowledge. Sometimes I wonder why people don't lose their license to speak based on some of the things they come up with.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dear Dr. Talbot:

Since you are monitoring this forum, I strongly recommend that you read every post in this thread: E-Cigarette Success Stories

You only went looking for negatives, and were able to find them. Now go look for the positives and publish the other side of the coin.

You can read in my signature the success I have had with switching from 45 years of smoking to use of an e-cigarette.

Reactions: zapped

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The part that drives me insane about her "study" of the posts is... it doesn't mean anything!!! :shock: There are so many posts on here with people questioning if vaping is somehow connected to a sore throat (No, I came down with the flu), to a runny nose (No, I came down with a cold), to purple eyelids, .... warts and changes in the interest rate on their summer home. Sheesh! What empirical medical conclusions could any real scientist draw from text posts on a message board?

Methinks Prue has been chomping on too much Chantix in the back room. Perhaps it's time to rename Chantix "Prue's little helper."

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Imagine doing a study without ever actually seeing the subject. The people doing the study NEED to be researched!! And of course look in the health and safety section and most likely disregard the rest of the forum. I hope credible scientists have something to say about this diluted research.

Last edited:

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Imagine doing a study without ever actually seeing the subject. The people doing the study NEED to be researched!! And of course look in the health and safety section and most likely disregard the rest of the forum. I hope credible scientists have something to say about this diluted research.

I would hope UC Riverside has something to say on it. She is listed on their staff, and I'm guessing she was doing this supposed research on their dime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread