ALTUS by GUO — World's first coil-less tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Well not seeing anyone else putting an order in, and having not been active here in a long time, figured I would bite the bullet at 109$ and give it a try and report back as a way to try and get myself back "in to" these discussions. Really lost motivation for a while do to some seriously unfortunate events in life.

This tank was different enough, and having got the vaporesso at Christmas, curiousity got the better of me and I ordered one Altus from vaperoyalty on sunday. According to tracking it should be here tomorrow in the late afternoon.

I just ordered a vaperesso 75 watt tc from fastech-----How do you like yours?

Reactions: AstroTurf

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
curiousity got the better of me and I ordered one

I haven't treated myself to a new tech piece in a while; figured, why not? My Altus should be in the post box tomorrow. I like the idea of this type of technology making its way into the vaping community. Hopefully, in the future, many different types of RDA/RTA setups, such as the Altus, will be available at affordable pricing.

I can't see giving up twisting my own coils quite yet, but I'm glad to see another step being made towards the advancement in vaping devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadtrip635

disley

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
Australia
p.s. a moment of hilarity last night when a vaper friend (disley) who's on here asked me how much VG was at our b&m...i couldnt remember, so i looked up the website and there, on the coming soon page was....anyone?...the bloody Altus. Disley wants one, he likes his gear and new things, has the single biggest collection of Lemo 1's and 2's you'll find anywhere. Of course i told him what i found....
You're too cynical, I'm getting one, and you won't talk me out of it.
Because most things don't live up to their hype, the Altus could be the exception.

KaiChen

Unresolved Status
Mar 29, 2015
Los Angeles
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Got mine today. Initial impressions.

Vaping Rainbow Road by Vapetasia. Sharper flavors and notes. Not a lot of vapor production though. Airflow bit restricted for my tastes. At 50w not much vapor production. At 65w there's a bit of burning. Refilled the tank and it's better. The resistance changes dramatically as it fires, from 0.6 up to 1.0. And there's a change in the vape as you pull, like it changes a gear and not in a good way. Feel like the changing resistance may be an issue in VW but not sure. Really want to get the TCRs so I can check TC. But honestly, I'm not sold on this. Just from experience and performance, it's not worth the price difference between this and say the Griffin.
And that makes the 5th person today who's got theirs and not liked it. Don't waste your money folks.

Reactions: stylemessiah

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
You're too cynical, I'm getting one, and you won't talk me out of it.
Because most things don't live up to their hype, the Altus could be the exception.
My dear fellow, i know its pointless to even try and talk you out of one :)

Skittles :)

Last edited:

Slips

Nov 7, 2014
Bay Area
I really like the vaporesso, mod, ccell coils (kanthal) not so much the nickel coils. Then again I'm not a big fan of any of the prebuilt temp control heads I've tried, but will say that these are imho better than the rest of the nickel pre-builts I've tried.

The biggest issue I have is a screen glitch that has happened twice, when the battery was low. Then I pull the battery and put in a fresh one and screen glitch gone. Gonna have it replaced of course, can't have that keep going on, esp since 1 of the 2 times it happened I didn't catch it right away and the whole mod got pretty warm.

That being said, I like everything about this mod/tank/coil combo, even with the "glitch" which Im sure will get sorted out, it was worth the 60$ and I will be getting another as soon as this first one gets fixed, replaced, whatever...

disley

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
Australia
OK it's beginning to look like you're right stylemessiah and others.
The youtube reviews I've watched, and the posts I've read don't gush about the Altus.
That's to be expected with a new device, and first impressions of most vape things don't amaze us.
We need time to mess about with things, to adjust temps and watts, get the wicking right, find the best airflow position etc.
After a few more days or a week, and if there's no improvement then I'll admit it was hype.
There are too many cons, starting with the price, it would have to be better than good to sell for $120. As it stands it's a $20 tank, we won't know about the year long limited guaranteed heat pad, until it's still working in a year, and by the level of enthusiasm I doubt most people will still be using it in a week.
The clouds were underwhelming, so most reviewers said, although I don't chase clouds, so they looked big enough for me.
Bottom fill for that price is out of the question, if the heating pad lasts for a year, they should have put it in the latest designed, easy to fill, leak proof tank, that will still be desirable this time next year.
Hank Vapes did a good youtube video review, and didn't mess up the wicking.
it's a bit long but he covers everything.
He had a similar view as the other first reviewers, poor tank design, not enough clouds produced, the taste wasn't outstanding.

Xexist

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2013
Fort Saskatchewan
This tank was different enough, and having got the vaporesso at Christmas, curiousity got the better of me and I ordered one Altus from vaperoyalty on sunday. According to tracking it should be here tomorrow in the late afternoon.

How did you like the vaporesso? Considering buying one despite controversy.

*edit* *facepalm* then I read your vry next post and see you answered it :p

KaiChen

Unresolved Status
Mar 29, 2015
Los Angeles
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Slips

Nov 7, 2014
Bay Area
Copied from my post yesterday in the RTA section.:

Well got it today, ordered on Sunday from vaperoyalty.
So 3 days to my California address.

Packaging was fine, nothing special, just like seen in the video from the "creator" , extra o-rings, and cotton but no spare glass. Instructions were good, maybe I got to take a second look but I didn't see any info on what wattages it could handle, or temp control settings. The tank was clean, free of oils, funky smells etc...it was pre built, pulled it apart just to see the guts and everything looked ok...keyword being "ok".

So with a hand full of mods, temp control and VW, I primed the build that it came with.
Started in wattage mode, 30w, after 5-7 pulls the "coilless" coil started producing some vapor....some
Bumped it to 50w while it was still warm, and started to get ok size clouds, and the flavor was there.
Still not what I was expecting, and not satisfying.

Went to temp control next, starting in Ni mode at 350f, nothing, nothing until around 420f, and at its best around 450f. But flavor was off, in fairness this could have been the juice though as I havent used that flavor in a long time.

Fiddled a bit in SS mode and Ti mode, but time has not allowed for me to do much yet, the results I got so far though lead me back to using Ni mode or more likely wattage mode at 60+ watts for first few puffs till its warmed up and then go from there. First Im gonna change juices to one that is fresher in my rotation.

Still to soon to say if it will be a tank I use everyday, to soon say much really.
I can say that the ramp up time is a major part of that decision, but if its always gonna take adjusting up, down, modes, etc...then it will be in the drawer rather quick. Its not what I expected from what is shown in the video by the "inventor". And I have a feeling I just gotta throw more power at it, but as of now I paid 109 for it, and at that price I am thinking ........well let me give it some more time, do want to be hasty just because it didnt perform like my tafun gt ii or squapes or even my kanger subtank or lemo2.

Someone mentioned the threading and finish, this I will comment on.
Its not up to 109$ standards, my squapes and taifuns are much better, my aromamizer is better, its on par with a goblin, lemo, billow ...etc maybe a bit better just because the seal on the glass section is damn good, everything else works, smooth-ish, but not what I was expecting.

Maybe Im spoiled and my expectations to high, and if Im wrong I'll be back to admit it, for now there is still a big question mark on this one and thus wont reccomend it till I figure it out or dump it in a drawer.
But I will be back tomorrow or Friday with more experiences.
Good luck to anyone else who is in the same boat as me.

Peace

Last edited:

Slips

Nov 7, 2014
Bay Area

pluviose

Oct 30, 2015
Ireland / UK
Ive got my own tank coming out, its called

The Hype Tank by Inflated Claims LLC

Ha! You totally sold me on it! :w00t:

* One of a kind airflow system, designed to suit neither MTL or LH vapers, we spent thousands of hours in R&D to design our aiflow system with the specific intention of requiring the user to learn a completely new way of inhaling.
We'll have a competition shortly to give away units for the best names people can come up with for the new inhalation technique.

My entry is: .... Purge™

I must win one of the giveaways, so then I can start manufacturing the must-have third-party accessory for it, the Colostomy Bag™! You Just Know You Will Need One! With swanky splatter pattern, in earthy colours!

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Ha! You totally sold me on it! :w00t:

My entry is: .... Purge™

I must win one of the giveaways, so then I can start manufacturing the must-have third-party accessory for it, the Colostomy Bag™! You Just Know You Will Need One! With swanky splatter pattern, in earthy colours!
You have one entry in the competition, to get more entries please dont share it on your FB or Twitter :)

Reactions: Tol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread