Analog Smoker Ready to Take the Plunge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camel Crush

ECF Veteran
[I just prepared this long post based on one of your earlier ones about the 901, but I just noticed you have ordered the 510. So some of the following is a "never mind," but I like the appearance of my own words:D, so I'll let it stand.]

First, I am honored. Thank you!

Second, what gave you the idea that I am fond of the 901? I certainly didn't poo poo it. I tried to point out the pros and cons of each model. However, my personal comments (injected here and there throughout the guide) tended to favor those models that I have used; the 901 is not one of them.

Leaford recommends the 901 for the first-time user and it might be right for you. But if you watched his two videos that I inserted in the guide, you saw that the 901 does not make his top 5 ... and (from what I've read) it doesn't make mine.

And notice the model I chose for my "Quick and Dirty Approach" - the 510 (and I hadn't even used it at that point). Since then I have and it now is one of my two favorites along with the penstyle: they're very different PVs and different vaping experiences, but I appreciate each. However, that is me. [Gramatically that 'me' should be 'I' ... but it sounds stilted.:rolleyes:]

It seems to me that you're overwhelming yourself (and your bank account) with too much information, too many decisions, and too much in purchases all at once. Take it slow and don't expect to arrive at the be all and end all on your first try. buy sampler liquids to find out what flavors you like.

And thanks again for that plug of my WWV guide!

I'm getting a little bit of "celeb shock" by seeing a reply from you! 8-o

...LOL. :p

Okay, maybe I did mince your words a little to make it SEEM like you favored the 901, but you did make sure to point out Leaford's comments.

Regardless, after finding out my 901 supplier was out of commission for the rest of the week, I sprung into action to order YOUR pick for the "executive," the 510.

I was very overwhelmed when I made my initial post, I admit. I didn't end up ordering even half of the stuff I mentioned in my first post... simply the kit and a sampler pack of juice. I decided I was jumping in a little bit headfirst after a few repliers warned me I should try the 901 before loading up on accessories and spare parts for it, which I appreciate highly.

I plan on scouring the web (and the forums) for suppliers offering sampler packs of juice. I'm very excited about trying many different flavors from many different places. The more I try, the more I'll end up liking!

You're welcome for the plug... I read your entire guide and found it VERY informative! I recommend it to all beginners!

I'll probably be looking into something with a bit longer battery life after I get started, as far as I can tell from reading others experiences. When I start my new job, I'll need something that can last me 8 hours plus, possibly even up to 16 (overtime... yay)! I've been looking at the Bartleby, and I'm intrigued. It looks kinda weird, but oh well. Function over style.

Camel Crush

ECF Veteran
Just got my 510 on Monday and it is much better with the blue foam mod. I am curious to hear what you have to say when you have a chance to play with the new toys.

I was surprised I prefer both coffee and brandy flavors over the tobacco flavors I bought.

Nice to hear that you like it (and nice Sims avatar :p). I've got a pack of the blue foam sitting right here in front of me, just waiting to be chopped up and soaked in e-juice. :D

Wow, Brandy flavor, huh? I bet that one has a nice kick to it. I ordered some Mocha Coffee flavor with my 510, since I like chocolate creamer in coffee, so... I'm sure I'll enjoy that as a non-tobacco vape.

I'll definitely be updating this post once I get the 510, which I hope is tomorrow afternoon!

Camel Crush

ECF Veteran
Hey there -- I am new, just like you are.

I had the Health E-Cigs from amazon a few months ago ... it was definetly hit or miss .. some carts were full, some were empty almost it seemed... one thing for certain .. the battery did suck.

I ordred the Joye 510 from Cignot.com along with some 'juice' thanks to the suggestions of others on this forum... it seems to be the best one for me anyhow.

I note you ordred the same model and also another.. I would really like to hear your thoughts on which is better...

I am a light smoker -- maybe 2 - 5 Marb Lights a day...

I will share my experiences when my order arrives tomorrow, as I hope you will share yours.

All the best!

Indeed. I replied to you in your post. :p

Best of luck to you with your 510. I hope we're both happily vaping a Joye this time tomorrow night. :D

Camel Crush

ECF Veteran
Hey have you read about TastyVapors juices? You can customize the flavor you want, though i did read you werent sure about the sweetness factor, the guy who runs the busines Geoffrey custom makes all his ejuice so if you want it less sweet but with flavor you can just ask him. He's also super super super nice, and very helpful. Its tastyvapor . com i think. might have a - between the words. I dont remember right off the top of my head.

I'm a beginer as well and I'm ordering 3 starter packs in the 510 for myself, my brother and his girl. Each of us will get a different color to avoid mixups. Pete i think i'm picking copper for him, his girls getting blue cause its her fav color and i picked the red for myself. I havent placed the order yet, but i have been putting everything in my basket - its their christmas presents for thsi year. I'ma lso planning on buying the nic juice from tastyvapor who has gotten nothing but rav reviews. he's really kind, apparently adds goodies or freebies in with most orders, and is CHEAP way cheaper then other places. If you havent ordered nic juice yet i'd go talk to Geoffrey.

the one thought i had was about buying different models for the three cigs i'm buying. Deffinately an idea i had. But if one works better then the other for some reason then one of us is stuck with a less then exciting cig. Eh. Anyhoot.

I ramble.

Do you know if TastyVapor offers a sampler pack?

(Geez, I'm gonna end up having like 500 3ml bottles strewn about my house before this is over). :D

Kudos on getting three of the same model. At least it was the 510 (apparently one of the best).

Camel Crush

ECF Veteran
Yeah, I, and others, have noticed a real decline in quality of the 901s lately. It's getting harder to find a good one. Soon, I'm going to be evaluating several different manufacturer's versions and try to find the best, and I'll be sure to post what I learn. But really, I've gotten enough bad ones from enough different retailers over the past couple of months, that I can't really reccomend it ove the 510 anymore.

OTOH, the 510s are pretty consistently good quality. But there are more and more clones available, so I'd advise making sure you are getting the actual Joyetech 510. I'll be trying some of the 510 clones soon, also.

*faint*

I just can't take it. Two ECF celebs in one post... 8-o

Sorry to hear that about the 901, though. "Clones" tend to dilute the quality down a bit, unfortunately.

I ordered my 510 from nHaler, after recommendations from repliers above. It is listed as "Joye Tech 510," so hopefully it'll pull through.

My 901 was purchased from Vapor Country. It comes with a letter of authenticity, so that eases my mind a bit.

I really enjoy your videos/site, but I do have a recommendation for you. It would be much easier on the eyes if you had a database listing all your scores for reviews. Much faster to read through a list and pick the highest in a certain category (or overall) rather than watching ALL your videos (not that you mind that, I'm sure). :p

Mike rules, BTW... even though he makes my ears bleed...

Kidding. ;)

gooney0

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Falls Church, VA
Camel Crush,

For the batteries don't bother getting fancy with the charging. When the light turns green you're done. Just screw the battery into the charger and come back latter.

As for the primer I'd just try it and see. When I start a new atomizer it tastes a little different at first but its not bad to me. It goes away as you use it anyway. If you don't like it you can blow it out.

If you use the 510 heavily keep the charger busy. I change out batteries whenever I notice the charger turned green. It is possible to kill a battery faster than you can charge the next one. The PCC also acts as a charger.

I bought an extra $35 "no-box" 510 kit from cignot. That way I get an extra charger + extra parts.

I hope you get it tomorrow and like it. Almost everyone who has an interest in e-cigs winds up liking them. I think the only people who dislike them just didn't want to give up smoking.

-Gooney0

Camel Crush

ECF Veteran
Camel Crush,

For the batteries don't bother getting fancy with the charging. When the light turns green you're done. Just screw the battery into the charger and come back latter.

As for the primer I'd just try it and see. When I start a new atomizer it tastes a little different at first but its not bad to me. It goes away as you use it anyway. If you don't like it you can blow it out.

If you use the 510 heavily keep the charger busy. I change out batteries whenever I notice the charger turned green. It is possible to kill a battery faster than you can charge the next one. The PCC also acts as a charger.

I bought an extra $35 "no-box" 510 kit from cignot. That way I get an extra charger + extra parts.

I hope you get it tomorrow and like it. Almost everyone who has an interest in e-cigs winds up liking them. I think the only people who dislike them just didn't want to give up smoking.

-Gooney0

Thanks for answering some of my questions! :D

It seems they kinda got lost in the shuffle. I think I'll bump them to see if anyone else has any input.

It's a shame the batteries are so weak on the 510. I'm sure I'll have them both dead within a day of having them. LOL.

That's when I'll be ready to look into a battery mod... haha.

Camel Crush

ECF Veteran
Reposting these questions, as they have been lost in the shuffle of replies after the move to the general board:

1) I've seen a few arguments about how long to charge the new batteries out of the box. I plan on fully charging prior to using, but I've seen some say leave it on for 8 hours and others say to leave it just until the light turns green. The 8-hour folk speak of "trickle charging," but the 8-hour dissenters talk about this being a "holdover from the nickel battery days." Any ideas?

Note: gooney0 says "green light means go." I can hang with that.

2) I've seen things about new atomizers having the need to be prepared prior to vaping. Some say blow off the (nasty?) primer juice into a paper towel prior to vaping. Some say not to. What should a fella do?

Note: gooney0 say "smoke that cig, young grasshopper, unless it taste foul." Sure thing.

3) I've read about getting a syringe to (I assume) place the batting inside in order to get all excess juice out of a used cart. Is this only useful when switching flavors? Or should I do that each time I refill? Also, do you think I could buy a syringe at Walgreen's? Does it necessarily require a needle (I'm bad with sharp, pointy objects)?

4) I've read about folks using unflavored PG for DIY juice, and it being available at "farm supply stores." I do have a Tractor Supply Co. store here in my town. Think they would know what I was talking about if I asked them about it? LOL. Trying to get as few funny looks as possible. People in southeastern KY aren't exactly known for their open mind. They'll probably think I'm trying to make a bomb with it or something...

Ok, I guess that's all the questions I have. I did pick up a 3-pack of "Bonded Foam Sleeves" by Marineland yesteday at Petsmart. Like $9, but I would say this will last me... like... forever? These things are huge!

BONUS #5) Has anyone tried both the pyramid tea bag mod AND the blue foam mod? Which seems to be more effective in a 510 and/or 901?

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Reposting these questions, as they have been lost in the shuffle of replies after the move to the general board:

1) I've seen a few arguments about how long to charge the new batteries out of the box. I plan on fully charging prior to using, but I've seen some say leave it on for 8 hours and others say to leave it just until the light turns green. The 8-hour folk speak of "trickle charging," but the 8-hour dissenters talk about this being a "holdover from the nickel battery days." Any ideas?

Note: gooney0 says "green light means go." I can hang with that.
I've tested it before, and got fewer puffs from a brand new out of the box battery after giving it a couple hours, until the light turned green, than I got after an 8-hour charge. I also get more puffs in regular use if I give it 3-4 hours, instead of the 1 1/2 - 2 hours until the green light comes on.

Basically, as I undrstand it, the batteries charge up the first 70% fairly quickly, then slowly tops off hte last 30%. The green light is supposed to come on when it's fully charged, but in most cases, it seems to come on at the 70% mark. That's only 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

I'm not totally sure if 8 hours is necessary for the initial charge, but definitly longer than it takes for the light to come on. And in regular use you should give it at least 3-4 hours to get a full charge, not just until the green light comes on.

The green light should have a note on it saying "The light on this charger is not as green as it may appear." :D

Camel Crush

ECF Veteran
I've tested it before, and got fewer puffs from a brand new out of the box battery after giving it a couple hours, until the light turned green, than I got after an 8-hour charge. I also get more puffs in regular use if I give it 3-4 hours, instead of the 1 1/2 - 2 hours until the green light comes on.

Basically, as I undrstand it, the batteries charge up the first 70% fairly quickly, then slowly tops off hte last 30%. The green light is supposed to come on when it's fully charged, but in most cases, it seems to come on at the 70% mark. That's only 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

I'm not totally sure if 8 hours is necessary for the initial charge, but definitly longer than it takes for the light to come on. And in regular use you should give it at least 3-4 hours to get a full charge, not just until the green light comes on.

The green light should have a note on it saying "The light on this charger is not as green as it may appear." :D

Thanks for your advice and experience with bats.

I'll try my best to let them charge for as long as possible before I use them. I'm so excited about trying it! I don't know how long I can be patient with it! LOL.

Halcyon

Unregistered Supplier
Nov 5, 2009
Winchester, VA
Congratulations on making a great decision! I did the same thing myself almost 3 weeks ago, and I haven't looked back! I was a Camel Crush/Camel Menthol with the flavor pill smoker since they came out, and I honestly don't like menthol vapor as much as regular tobacco vapor. To be honest the regular tobacco, cherry, or chocolate have become my favorites. I used to only smoke non-menthol in the tightest spots with no option, and still hated them. Because there is NO harsh flavor with vapor, I found I do not have to cover anything with menthol. Try a bunch of different flavors, you never know what works for you! I just got a bottle of Clove from ModernVapor last night, which was my FAVORITE tobacco before I switched to vaping (Djarum Clove Blacks). Now I find that because the vapor inherently tastes sweet by itself, the extra flavor that goes with bitter tobacco is not as satisfying with vapor to me.

Halcyon

Unregistered Supplier
Nov 5, 2009
Winchester, VA
Thanks for your advice and experience with bats.

I'll try my best to let them charge for as long as possible before I use them. I'm so excited about trying it! I don't know how long I can be patient with it! LOL.

Read this:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cig-technical-issues/8852-li-ion-batteries-truth.html

My friend vaped his SideSho right out of the box til it died (maybe 30-40 puffs), recharged, and has no negative effects on battery life or recharging. Not saying that every manufacturer's e-cig will have the same tolerance, however they're not nickel-based and are not as sensitive to charging cycles as the batteries I grew up with.

MitchellBeans

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
well, my 510 kit just arrived! Woooooooooo!

(No I am not hijacking CamelCrush's thread, but since we got the same thing, I might as well post it here!)

I am confused as to the battery charging. The manual actually says to 'Charge for 8 hours, then use it for 20 minutes, then charge another hour' .... that seems odd to me, considering I have been around a rechargeable battery or two in my years.

I plugged it into the wall charger, it was red for about 10 minutes and now its green. I think I will just leave it there for an hour or so anyhow...

Will report back on how it works.

Thanks to cignot for ultra fast shipping!

MitchellBeans

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
Well, my initial impression of what was in the bag (if they are consistent, you will get it in a letter-sized bubble bag) was definetly a kit. Its not anything fancy, just a lot of parts.

I opened the bag, everything was there that I ordered, so no complaints there.

Charged one of the batteries for about an hour -- interesting note as I posted before, green light was on in 10 minutes, yet the manual says wait 8 hours... no clue what the hell is right about these things anymore --

Plugged on the cart and atomizer. Mine is a manual version ,so I pushed the button and let er rip.

Very very nice. The flavor is mild but it is enough flavor for me ... lots of vapor. Seems to have nicotine levels around where I expect them cause I am not going for regular cigs as I type this.

Time will tell of course about the juice I ordered, the logentivity of the items as a whole. For example, I am a light smoker and if a cart lasts me a day that *should* be 8 smokes .. or 3 .. or 14 .. everyone says something different. Guess I will find out.

At this time I am pretty happy with the order. The people at Cignot are pretty awesome, they responded to email fast and shipped fast. Also, altho BluCig is a much slicker package, I am certainly glad I did not wait the 5 -7 month ship time..

Hope you get yours soon sir!

Camel Crush

ECF Veteran
Well, my initial impression of what was in the bag (if they are consistent, you will get it in a letter-sized bubble bag) was definetly a kit. Its not anything fancy, just a lot of parts.

I opened the bag, everything was there that I ordered, so no complaints there.

Charged one of the batteries for about an hour -- interesting note as I posted before, green light was on in 10 minutes, yet the manual says wait 8 hours... no clue what the hell is right about these things anymore --

Plugged on the cart and atomizer. Mine is a manual version ,so I pushed the button and let er rip.

Very very nice. The flavor is mild but it is enough flavor for me ... lots of vapor. Seems to have nicotine levels around where I expect them cause I am not going for regular cigs as I type this.

Time will tell of course about the juice I ordered, the logentivity of the items as a whole. For example, I am a light smoker and if a cart lasts me a day that *should* be 8 smokes .. or 3 .. or 14 .. everyone says something different. Guess I will find out.

At this time I am pretty happy with the order. The people at Cignot are pretty awesome, they responded to email fast and shipped fast. Also, altho BluCig is a much slicker package, I am certainly glad I did not wait the 5 -7 month ship time..

Hope you get yours soon sir!

Cool. I ordered mine from nHaler, so it should come in a box. Guess I paid about $10 extra for a box, but oh well. :p

Glad you're liking it so far. I am NOT a light smoker, so I wonder how our experiences will differ? Heheh.

Monday can't come soon enough. :cry:

MitchellBeans

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
wow, sucks for you! ahhhhahahaha!!!

Serious, I think you will be pleased. I went thru one cart in about 4 hours, and then dripped about 5 drops total on it for the rest of the night. I can definetly do this instead of cigs.

Only problem, which is probably pretty widely documented -- batteries. I hope you got two or 7 if you are a heavy smoker.

Let us know when yours arrives!

Camel Crush

ECF Veteran
Well, got the 510 this evening. Charged both batteries only until they turned green, then left for the evening to go watch a college basketball game. Batteries held up fine (I did change them back and forth several times, though).

I've only tried one of the atties, but it seems to taste a little... burnt. Or something. Doesn't really taste good, but I don't really care. Haven't smoked an analog in 8 hours, and, yes, that's a record. Have no interest in smoking one.

Got my nHaler juice along with the 510. Like I said, it kinda tastes burnt... or something... so it might affect what I think of them. I don't really know what it's SUPPOSED to taste like, ya know?

Regardless, Cafe Mocha Tobacco is the bomb. I could smoke it constantly. Very nice flaor.

Menthale is not my thing. Tastes like Wrigley's Spearmint Gum. Way off on that flavor.

Camule tastes like... liquor. Or something.

I think I've ruined this atty because I dripped some menthale on it the first time I even used it. Now, everything I vape is minty.

I've not even been able to taste the Marlboro carts that came with the thing. All I can taste is mint... and "burnt taste."

OH well. I'll be charging one battery overnight and charging the other one tomorrow at work. As far as the batts go, I noticed I wasn't really vaping a lot compared to how much I usually smoke. I guess that's always a good thing.

Anxious to get my 901, probably Wed. or Thurs., along with my sample kit of juice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread