anyone recommend an AUTO M40x batt that doesn't activate from loud noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj1100cl

Oct 11, 2010
Atlanta
i am trying to decide on my first e-cig.

i like the following that the M401 has. Many people rave about its flavor being great. the choice of battery lengths is cool too. Now that there's a PCC and cartos, this model seems like the best of the super minis, with its 200mAh battery cap.

But i also like the SmokeStik, which is a 4081/103. It has cartos which are highly recommended for their burn-resistance. the 103 has a PCC available for it. it's a little bigger than the 401, but not by much.

My hang up is that I've read that SS has improved their auto batts so they don't accidentally activate by loud sound. I want auto batts. the button in the center of the cig seems ridiculous to me.

Does anyone have experience with any auto batts that don't activate accidentally by sound?

thanx for all replies!
Tj

Nekoshi

Dec 23, 2010
TN
I purchased an M402 recently, and both my batteries are auto. Had had zero accidental activations from sound, wind or vibration. Admittedly, I haven't put them through the wringer testing them, but if I'm going to have to go out of my way to get them to misfire, then they should hold up fine for normal use. I did test the "wind" problem by blowing into the intake holes and I had to actually put my mouth over it and blow hard enough to feel the pressure in my ears to get it to kick on.

I doubt there is any real difference in the various models (m401,2,3), since they probably use the same components and only a different battery. I'd guess the real trick is to make sure they're from the new product line and not ones that have ben sitting on a vendors storeroom shelf for three years.

Paisley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
Florida
I've had 2 different styles of M series autos.

One has 1 hole on the flat part below the thread post and it would activate when the osscilating fan was on, if it was bumped etc.

One has 2 holes on the thread post just below the threads and it has never activated unintentionally even on the motorcycle.

Not sure if this is due to a manufacturer revision and if so which is the older model.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I've not had any serious issues with this problem using automatic m401 series e-cigarettes, my personal preference being the m402 automatic. In extremely "loud" situations, like in a night club, next to a blasting speaker, you might have a problem. I've experienced that before, but that is about it. Very rare. I've only used Intellicig m402 batteries so far, and they are considered by some to be the best of their type, able to be recharged much more often than other brands before dying out completely. I can't say if that is true or not, not having used any other supplier's batteries yet, but I've used Intellicig m402 batteries for as long as 6-7 months without problem before I finally had one die on me. One other one still going strong, so far.

I have also tried the m601 automatic, which had real problems being oversensitive in all kinds of "loud" noise situations, and even in a few situations where the noise level was fairly low. Even just driving in my car on the freeway, with the windows up, I've had my m601s run almost continuously to the point that I had to keep the atomizers screwed off the batteries when I wasn't immediately using them. I never have had this problem with my m402s. As you can imagine, that happening with the m601s really sucked, and so I only use my m601 gear at home nowadays, typically just using the m402s everywhere else I go. The m601s produce nice vapor, but were not particularly flavorful anyway (at least not compared to the m402), so my not being able to use them everywhere is no big loss (other than the fact I wasted money on 'em in the first place).

Clearly not all automatic e-cigarette models are created equal. The m601 series is manufactured by the same company that typically makes the m401 series, and is a very similar design except for some dimensional differences, so one would think that both should be reliable automatics. Apparently not, which could just mean that the m601s are made at a different factory than most m402s. Intellicig's m401 series batteries are supposedly made elsewhere entirely, which may account partially for their reputation, but other m402s made in mainland China seem to also be quite reliable from what I've heard. I like my m401 series e-cigarette gear, and I would recommend that model series (no matter where it is made) to any e-cigarette newbie, or even to folks that have been using for awhile. Though I like the Intellicig m401 series batteries in particular, I've found that their atomizers are no better or worse than those of any other supplier, and other supplier atomizers are typically a bit cheaper. The same might be the case as regards their batteries, but I don't know yet. I plan to try some LiteCigUSA m402 batteries soon, since they have stainless steel batteries with a blue color LED tip (which Intellicig doesn't have) I want to try out, just for a change of pace. It will be interesting to see how long those batteries last. I hope they do perform well.

tj1100cl

Oct 11, 2010
Atlanta
hey billy!

thanx for chiming in with a great reply. since i opened this thread, i've gotten a KR808 model (V4L) and a 510 model (Joye). the KR8 is meeting my needs so far, but i still would like to get and M402 kit some day, because their size is closest to actual analog, and their PCC is pretty cool looking. the improved performance of the M4 series over the M6 may be because so many more companies are distributing their own branded versions of the 4 vs. the 6, and have demanded more product upgrades.

i've consistently read good things about the M402 system and you've added to that, which should be good information for anyone else tracking down this thread in a search.

peace out
Tj

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I tried both a manual and automatic version of the KR808D-1 several months ago, last year. I was not particularly impressed at the time, as far as vapor production and flavor. But the flavor was from a factory filled atomizer cartridge, and I really didn't give the gear a chance to break in. I tried them briefly much later, because I had run out of e-liquid, using them until their batteries died (took a few days for the two I had left at the time). The atomizer cartridges lasted a great amount of time compared to m401 gear, as did the batteries, but they still didn't have near the same level of flavor delivery and vapor production, even though the m401 series really isn't a vapor bomb by any means compared to what else is available out there. The m401 series is more about having a good balance of several important e-cigarette factors in one very nice and "realistic" sized unit. Vapor production is more than sufficient (especially with better e-liquids, like from Halo or other such manufacturers, and flavor delivery is considered about the best that is out there. Used with a PCC box, length of use out of a single battery charge (1 1/2 hours of constant use) is not really an issue, at least if you have a spare battery, which you should have anyway. Good batteries and atomizers will last for several months, up to half a year or more sometimes, and there are also several refillable cartridge options now available, such as extra length cartridges, PTB modded, and even several different kinds of cartridge/atomizer combos (including some very cool sounding stuff I've just looked up). The available PCC boxes are also really nice.

Anyway, sorry to go on like that about the m401 series. Obviously I like them, but there are a couple of other very good e-cigarette models out there as well. I've only tried about 4 or 5 different ones, finding the m402s to be my favorites thus far, especially for their size. Oh, and did I mention great flavor delivery! Oh yes, I did. Never mind.

Paisley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
Florida
Where did you order the M401/402 autos the don't activate unintentionally?

Do they have the single hole on the flat base or 2 holes on the post under the threads?

I had 4 that I got for $20 each at a local shop when I first started and just cannot bring myself to pay that now to replace the 1 on it's last leg and 1 that just passed away this week. Both have been used daily for over 6 months. I really like the 402 autos and would like to buy a few more.

Last edited:

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Single hole on the flat base under the threads, from Intellicig. They make good m401 series batteries, available in the US online. Good supplier, though they over-hype themselves sometimes, like a lot of suppliers do. Online prices a few dollars more than some, but their equipment is good. Cheaper than $20 a battery, that's highway robbery! Something more like $10 a battery is a more usual online price, maybe even less, but you have to add in a few bucks for shipping. Shipping times from a US supplier within the US, even at their lowest rates, are usually only 2-3 days.

Last edited:

Paisley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
Florida
I had a few of the ones with the single hole on the flat base and they would light up if you even bumped the blue wrapper, sent them back in exchange for manuals. I'm looking for the autos with the two holes on the post at a decent price since I've found they aren't as touchy.

Might just order a couple from Intellicig and check them out, thanks. I take it the EVO is an M-series, are they all autos, I don't see any option to select auto or manual? I have been using EcoPure Rich alot that I got from Cignot, it's actually my favorite retail mix.

Yea, $20 is high for a batty but that was at a local flea market, at least it got me started with ecigs. We were just cruisen' the fleas and Hubby saw it and asked me to try it out, I did and liked it.

Last edited:

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I've never had any problem with the one hole m402 batteries I have from Intellicig, but they are also not made in mainland China. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have 2 LiteCigUSA batteries on way (stainless steel m402s). I'll report on what those look like and how well they work. I'm gonna be using them with new CE2 R4 cartomizers from Vapor Junction, but I'll check them out on regular gear as well.

Hey, whatever it takes to get you started on e-cigs and off of analog smokes is cool with me. Getting started is the most important step. Settling-in to a happy groove you'll stick with, and be happy with, is the next. Looks like you've got it figured out pretty well. Both steps are mostly out of the way, and now your just improving on the details, pretty much like the rest of us. Good luck.

YuHoo

Feb 17, 2010
Madison, WI
I have two m401s and two m402s from multiple venders and all of them activate when I'm running sound at my venue (where I'm just 4 feet away from a pair of 2x15s and a subwoofer). The only way that I've gotten around this is to buy a manual m401, which is really easy to use. If it's only special occasions that you need a less sensitive 401/402, I'd suggest you abandon using only autos and head over to litecig and pick one up, it'll save you a lot of burned out atomizers in the process.

Last edited:

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
My newer one hole stainless steel m402s from LiteCigUSA are running fine. No problem with oversensitivity. Yeah, if I was working with sound in a club, I would use manual batteries for that. No way around it. The manual m602 might also be another option. I'm not a fan of manual batteries, but some situations leave you little choice. An individual manual m40x battery won't cost you much.

Been experimentally using some CE2 R4 cartomizers recently. I use them on my m402 batteries. So far one wasn't that great, but the 2nd one I've tried is working pretty well. The main advantage of them is a big increase in e-liquid capacity. I can so far easily use one for 8 hours of constant vapor, no problem. Maintaining these cartomizers is a bit of a more involved pain though, at least compared to refilling a standard cartridge. It is too soon to tell if these cartomizers will completely replace my atomizers and cartridges, but they might.

Last edited:

SubOnAux24

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2010
Valley of the Sun
I would highly recommend getting a KR8 battery (manual or automatic)with a 901-401 thread adapter from Litecigusa. Your vape experience will double from having those weak 401 batts. The Kanger KR808D-1 Batteries run at a true 3.7volts under load http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/65055-battery-voltages-surprise.html and will last longer between charges at 280ma versus a 180 or 200ma 401 battery. Just sayin' :) I also use a KR808, Elegant 808 and a Riva 901 (all manuals) with my 401 atty (with 901-401 adapter)and LOVE it.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Well, that's certainly an idea. Any experience using an automatic KR808D-1 battery? Just curious about their sensitivity levels. How does hybrid setup you described look? Do you just use a standard KR808D-1 PCC box with that, or at all?

So far my experience with the new CE2 R4 cartomizers is that they are not worth the trouble of maintaining. I cleaned some out recently with an overnight vinegar soak, then boiled them out, refilled, and now they produce slightly better vapor, but still taste slightly like vinegar, yuck! Standard and XL size m401 cartridges still work very well for me. How long would you say m401 atomizers work with that KR808D-1 hybrid setup, compared to usual?

SubOnAux24

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2010
Valley of the Sun
I found that the 401 atties are giving me considerable burn life, maybe 2 or 3 months each, and i use them like a chimney. The intellicig atties lasting longer than any other i have bought. i had one die the other day and it was so old that the white paint was almost completely gone. i am mainly using a 3.3Volt under load battery ( Riva, Elegant) that most likely conserve the atty life span opposed to a higher (3.7V) device like the KR8 Batts. I really enjoy the 401 vapor and especially the flavor compared to my 510, 901 and 808. just a pain to keep filling those XL carts. But totally worth it :)

topchunhua

Moved On
Feb 21, 2011
USA
  • Deleted by spaky
  • Reason: Unregistered supplier

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
You know, I think I'll try out that 901-401 adapter trick, but using an automatic KR808D-1 set of batteries. Liberty Flights has the adapters in-stock, along with a bunch of other adapters. The LiteCigUSA adapters all appear to be black, but the 901-401 model from Liberty Flights is silver. Any suggestions for a good source of quality automatic KR808D-1 batteries? I'm not ready yet to go the fat Elegant or Riva battery route.

As an update, I finally got my m401 series CE2 R4 cartomizers cleaned well enough that I can use them again without experiencing any bad taste. The secret was less soaking time combined with a longer boiling time. The things do work pretty well after you've fiddled with them enough. I just don't like all the fiddling. I wonder if the ones I have would work okay on a KR808D-1 battery when using one of those adapters? Doesn't matter. I'm not sure I'll ever be a die-hard cartomizer guy, not at this rate.

SubOnAux24

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2010
Valley of the Sun
I think i got my adapter from LF but had a couple Kr8 batts already. Maybe if you get the black one from litecig with a black batt from same, you have an all black ecig if you use the black 401XL carts ? Litecig has the black XL carts too. Heck Billy, grab a few atty's while your at it an save on shipping. The KR8 batts are only $9.95, not a bad price compared to V4L or other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread