My review of the Sidesho

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyhash

Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
www.jayhash.com
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I did in the newbie forum yesterday, but I figured some people might come here to read the review, so I'll re post it here. Just pretend it is yesterday...

I just ordered a Sidesho on Sunday, which arrived today, and I want to compare notes through a review.

I heard about the Sidesho by doing some research after hearing about the MyLuci cigarette about a year ago. I was going to buy a Luci around Christmas time, when I approached my wife about my switch from Djarum Black Analogs (due to health reasons, and the fact that the price of my cloves has skyrocketed: when I first started they were $4.75, now they were getting up to $7.19...but the point is moot now as they're now banned in the US...). Problem was back then that the startup cost was going to be about $150, and to do something like that for something I couldn't get in clove flavor, was out of the question.

Anyway, wanting to get on the eCig bandwagon, I researched the possibility of the Luci having a clove flavor, but they didn't offer anything outside the basic 4 flavors. I then found that there were more out there beyond that brand that actually looked like analogs. Blu cig, Vapor King, and Green Cig came highly recommended but there were certain attributes that I didn't like (the VK's whereas they had clove carts, looked riDONKulous to me with their faux Louis Vouitton branding all over the battery; Blu Cig looked like my Djarums, but didn't have blank carts; etc.).

At that point, I was trying to make a final decision, when the Sidesho was proffered. The price was reasonable, they had blank carts, as well as Clove e-liquid! Deal was sealed, wife was stoked that I was going to quit/cut down on analogs. I ordered the Black cart/atomizer/battery combo kit (as they looked just like my old Djarum Blacks) with a blue LED (apparently they were out of the white). It looks classy, and very sleek. I don't care what the top stickied forum post says about the black and blue units and how they look like a weird gadget. I hate the White and Brown/Orange look, and it doesn't draw attention. Whereas with this I'll have people asking me about it all the time and I might be able to get more people in on vaping, thus making it a more respected alternative. It's a wonderful cycle, word of mouth.

I received it today, after shooting back a few e-mails back and forth with Tony (nice guy, by the way). Getting the actual product was quite fantastic. It was not at all cheap looking in packaging, not in build quality. The eCig was fantastic looking, had a bit of heft, and looks like it'll last a long time. The atomizer was smaller than I thought it would be and did not seem at all flimsy either. The carts also were the right length. They might be better if they were a bit shorter with a larger reservoir inside, but again I'm new to this. The extra accessories were also very welcome: a spare battery, a spare atomizer, and the 4 tobacco flavored carts stored in the PCC. I also received the clove eliquid in it's own package, and something that I didn't realize when I ordered it, it came with 5 blank carts, so the EXTRA 5 blank carts I ordered were a bit pointless. All in all the packaging was very professional and very impressive.

The PCC is a brilliant idea. being able to charge the batteries in your pocket while on the go was a masterstroke, and makes these things quality products rather than a flawed design that doesn't work very well. My only complaint is the placement of the charge cradle within the PCC: there's a plastic lip that prevents the battery from being easily screwed into the connector sometimes making it difficult to insert or remove the battery from charging.

The blank carts with the bottled eJuice or eLiquid (depending on your favored lexicon) seems like it takes some getting used to. After watching a few YouTube videos from links that Tony provided to me, I felt comfortable enough to do the task myself. Soon I had properly filled up a blank cart with my clove ejuice and I hit my patio to do my first bit of vaping.

The general mechanism of the Sidesho works very, very well: I had no eliquid blowback (apparently I filled it properly), the battery switches on and allows you to pull it whenever you draw in not just whenever anything happens around you (like I've heard about certain automatics), and I got a moderate to heavy throat hit depending on how hard I pulled on the eCig.

My only qualm are these two things:

1) I must be too used the the Djarums, or this ecig has a long breaking in period, because the vapor I was pulling in was harsh, and didn't taste like cloves. It tasted more like how the Glycerin smells. Not very appealing, when you first start out. I hope that it improves over the period of the weekend, because if it sustains itself in this fashion, I'll have to look elsewhere for my eliquid than ModernVapor. The main reason why I wanted to get their eliquid was because I figured that their liquid would be the best for their product. But if it continues along this path, I'll have no choice but to switch to something else (I've seen that Runyan Direct has actual Djarum Black ejuice, but I have yet to see anyone post an actual review of the stuff. I won't buy it without at least 1 review, especially if I have to wait a long time + pay for overseas charges).

2) The battery life falls of nearly completely when it goes dead. There's no real wearing down of the process letting you get lighter and lighter draws until you need to recharge. The atomizer just stops producing vapor it seems when you no longer have enough charge to run the atomizer and the LED at the same time. I almost thought there was something wrong with the unit, or that I had used up all the ejuice in the cart, but lo and behold when I popped in my backup battery, I was able to vape again unhindered. I know that there is apparently a low power warning on the battery using the LED, but if you miss it once, I don't know if it presents itself before it can no longer power the atomizer.

All in all I'm pleased with my purchase. As time goes on I may look into other eCigs that have less harsher draws, or have a smaller form factor, or superb design quality but for the $79.95 I paid, I am quite pleased with not having to continue buying analogs, especially when they are going to be import only for me now on.

I'll post more on this once I become a full member.

Thanks for reading!

~JYH

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Great Reviews Guys!

& to think I was starting to get worried about my choice to order the Sidesho- I have not been able to find much info on it at all- Tony, U need exposure! Hopefully bewteen all of us who are going to be users we can help! This forum is awesome as I can find info on about any of the models where, as I google, there are still not many sites that come up about these for sale- (ecigs in general) - so much more on the laws... I am getting a headache- LOL
Okay, I appreciate the reviews- Just getting ready to order and, again- stopped to still try and find more info first... this did it for me!

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
I have a question for Bandit. First you start this thread by giving a very positive review of the Sidesho, and now I just noticed you have all your Sidesho stuff for sale in the classified section. What gives?

Nothing against the Sidesho, it still rocks. I have just evolved away from e-cigs to high performance PV's is all. Once I got my Prodigy it was all over for e-cigs. Now I have that plus the Silver Bullet and Protege... I don't touch any of my e-cigs anymore.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
..................................... Once I got my Prodigy it was all over for e-cigs.....................................

That made me laugh, pretty funny. I thought it might be something like that though. I guess if you vape long enough, some type of battery mod is the likely eventual outcome. Either buying one, or building it yourself, but it makes sense.

Luke V

Oct 19, 2009
Cleveland, TN
Total e-cig noob here, so I wanted to ask a question or two about the Sidesho before I make the leap to my analogue-free lifestyle.

Firstly, thanks Bandit for doing such a thorough review of this one. I'm 99.9999% sold on the Sidesho after reading this thread.

The main thing I'm wondering about is the battery. Did the manual batteries for it come out yet? I've been looking at them on MV, but they only say that they come with 2 rechargeable batteries and nothing as to if they're automatic or manual. I've been reading about e-cigs enough to know that I'm pretty sure I would rather have a manual battery, so if the manual batts come with them now, I'll be making my order for 2 kits in the next day or so.

If they have not come out yet, does anyone know how long before they'll be available with the kits?

Thanks in advance!

kaeo773

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Chicago USA
www.modernvapor.com
I have manuals for the Sidesho right now, I have a big order that will be coming in all this week. I will be offering a hybrid kit ( 1auto & 1 manual) once I get all of the shipment, my bulk order of manuals for the kits will not be here for about a week later than everything else. I had to get a new batch of PCC's that can fit charge the manuals, so this is why there is a delay on the hybrid kits.

So,this week I will be selling just the regular kits until the bulk manuals get here. I have manuals for sale now under the parts section, but not a for sale in any kit as of yet.

Luke V

Oct 19, 2009
Cleveland, TN
Sorry about the double post, but I see no edit button...

I just noticed that the manual batteries are in the parts section at MV, but the kits still do not specify which battery comes with the kit. If there's an option to get manual or automatic, that's awesome -- I'll go manual. But if the only way I can get manuals is to buy them separately, I'll be spending alot of extra cash on buying 4 manual batteries (2 for each kit) just so I can have the battery option that I prefer.

So I guess my original question holds true...Are the manual batteries an option on the kits?

I sent Tony an email about this as well. If he gets back to me before anyone answers, I'll update with what his reply was.

Luke V

Oct 19, 2009
Cleveland, TN
Hah!

I got ninja'd.

That's good that the option is coming soon, but kind of a bummer too as I'm itching to buy something in the next day or so. I'm tired of throwing away money on analogs. And I never even thought about the PCC needing to be redesigned to accommodate the manual battery, but it totally makes sense now.

So, I suppose I'll be holding off on my order for now. Just gotta convince the wife that we dont need to shop around to avoid the wait. I told her that Bandit stated that smoking the red Sidesho would get me laid so I've gotta hold off for that one for sure.

haha

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Are you Tony?

GS850GX

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
I have been vaping on the sidesho for a couple of weeks now and have to say it just gets better and better. I had a little trouble with flavor at first but after some break in of the atty the flavor is great. A slow smooth drag produces loads of vapor and even subtle flavors come through clean and refreshing. Tony's service is great and with the discount he is giving members you can't beat it. I am not surprised he keeps selling out. The whole thing is a class act too. Great color selection, fit and finish, gift grade packaging. Recommended!

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Kaeo,

Does the sidesho kit come with the manual battery?
Read somewhere that when it comes in then it will be available.went to the site but only auto batts seem to be included in the kit.
let me know. If it does im a customer today..:)

Some of us have been waiting over a month for the manual kits. Get in line Rob. :D

Dolly

Oct 24, 2009
New Jersey
Sidesho and Blu work as completely interchangeable systems, but please note the atty difference I listed above in my preliminary review.

Thanks for the great review Bandit! One of the reasons I decided to purchase mine. ;)

For clarity, you mentioned you can put the Sidesho atty on the Blu, AND you can also put the Blu atty on the Sidesho? With Sidesho carts if they're the same size? =P

kaeo773

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Chicago USA
www.modernvapor.com
I have a volcano and I'm also interested in the compatibility of the sidesho and blu/volcano parts. Do the sidesho carts fit the blu atty? What about atty batt combonations?

Thanks for the review BTW!

The outer cart is the same, but the inner cart is much bigger than the BLU/Volcano inner cart. So, the Sidesho cart will not work with BLU/Volcano atty. You can use your Blu/Volcano battery on the Sideho atty & cart.

I think Bandit pretty much explained all of this in his comparison review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread