Dismiss Notice
Happy Thanksgiving, Guest! If you're not too full after all that turkey, check out our latest ECF giveaway, courtesy of Smok :)

Are e-cig's safe around oxygen tanks?

Discussion in 'Health, Safety and Vaping' started by heather, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. heather

heather Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hello all,

My Grandma will be coming home from the hospital soon with an oxygen tank. She is a light smoker and she was in hospital for heart problems. I know it's best not to smoke anything, but, I think the e-cig might help her with her anxiety issues. So, it wont blow up right?:(
  2. HaploVoss

HaploVoss Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2009
    Rogersville, MO - USA
    Well, it is still and electronic device for 1, it has a coil that gets cherry red hot 2, and nearly pure oxygen is one of the most flammable / atmospheric catalyst gases on the planet.

As long as you turn off the tank, and put the mask down to the side first - I don't see the problem. If she is using the nose tubes and wants/needs to leave the oxygen on at all times, I would be reluctant to vape away.

Even with it cranked up to correct flow, I think the likelyhood is probably infinitely small. Next to no chance anything would happen. However if it were my Granny - that's enough of a chance I wouldn't take it.

My .02

Take care,
    - Hap
  3. LadyPamela

LadyPamela Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 4, 2009
    Bay Area, California
    My mother was at home with Hospice and I taking care of her and she had oxygen. The Hospice nurse warned my father about smoking around oxygen, which my father found to be very insulting. My father was a very, very intelligent man, a genius really, and he was disgusted that a medical professional was furthering the myth that oxygen was a flamable substance and you shouldn't have flame near it.

Oxygen is not flammable. Oxygen WILL cause a flame to burn more, hotter, obviously because the pre-existing flame feeds on the oxygen. It's not going to ignite like gasoline vapor from a spark or heat source.

I can't post an url yet but if you search on "is oxygen flammable" you will probably get an Ask The Scientist link to an explanation.
  4. thewomenfolk

thewomenfolk Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 6, 2009
    Colorado John 3:16
    My mother is on Hospice care now with Oxygen and the technician told me the same thing, that most people are scared to death about smoking around oxygen...but not to worry, that it'd probably just make the end of the cig burn brighter. He said it was best not to smoke in her room, but that Oxygen isn't flammable.
  5. malyden

malyden Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2008
  6. kcr

kcr Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 16, 2009
    Tennessee--tobacco state with a tobacco ban...
    Not sure if this helps, but my dentist wanted a demonstration of a new e-cig in the room where the nitrous is (it is only in one of the rooms) and he wasn't worried that it would cause a problem.

He knew what they were and how they worked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.