vaping safe around infants

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquirrilahFish

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Honolulu
Im going to say that it is,
I dont want to sound like a bad parent (im not blowing vape in my kids face), but i have vaped in the car, with my child in the back, vaped at home with my child in the same room, and I am compulsive about her health!!!!

I would never consider smoking real cigs aroung her, when I did smoke, I would go outside and then I would change my clothes, brush my teeth, and wash my hands after every one.

Ecig claims there is no 2nd or 3rd hand smoke, and I can say I have to agree. My daughter has not had any health problems since ive switched to vaping, she used to cough sometimes when i someked regualer cigs, but I just wrote it off, Now that I have switched, she hasn't coughed at all, and has gotten a clean bill of health after every doc appointment (3 since i've switched) It amazes me that even after all the precautions i made to protect her from tobacco smoke, it still affected her, gawd those things are nasty.
Smoking outside, changing clothes, brushing teeth, washing hands: my daughter gets sick
vaping, thats it, just vaping, shes been fine, just food for thought

however I do try to get my vapes in when she is not around, out of principal, not concern

Last edited:

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
There was an extensive study on the effects of PG on theater performers who were routinely exposed to PG fog. The study indicated that no problems were to be expected from the exposure. That said, we cannot be 100% certain that there are no possible side effects of 'second-hand vapor' until more studies are done. I would avoid vaping in closed areas around an infant. Just use common sense and you should be alright.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
There was an extensive study on the effects of PG on theater performers who were routinely exposed to PG fog. The study indicated that no problems were to be expected from the exposure. That said, we cannot be 100% certain that there are no possible side effects of 'second-hand vapor' until more studies are done. I would avoid vaping in closed areas around an infant. Just use common sense and you should be alright.

Well, I would say it would be other elements - not PG or VG - where you could express concern. Nicotine or other additives. PG is used in baby skin care and multivitamins. Though, I would be concerned about leaving PG/VG out in the open for baby to drink, because a huge dose of anything is potentially dangerous.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I am afraid I always found it very hard to take the 'don't smoke around your kids' seriously anyway even though I did try never to smoke around my daughter, I was born and raised by two heavy smokers, almost everyone I knew was and I don't actually know of anyone that has suffered or died from it and we are all getting old now...smokers and non-smokers. I don't think I would have worried at all about vaping around her. I would never say it was good to smoke around kids but at the same time I don't think of people who do it as 'baby' killers.

Last edited:

SquirrilahFish

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Honolulu

i totally agree

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
One of the earliest studies done on the safety of inhaling PG and on it's effectiveness as a antimicrobial was done by pumping PG Vapor into a ward in an orphanage. In the 3 years that they did it they found that the kids in that ward suffered less winter colds and such than the kids in the other ward where they didn't use it. Check out vapersclub.com for more info on the study. Other than reassuring me that it is safe to have around my children it also made me realize how different things are in how we test things now :).

Hangtime

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2009
I wouldn't worry about the pg/vg but rather the nicotine. It's got to be in the vapor. Was it the climate or the new-found vapor that stoped my dogs from getting flea's? in my case. I worry about the nicotine in the air after the vapor clears. Can't be good but I bet it is 1200 times safer than going outside for a smoke then hugging shorty.:D

Last edited:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
J nothing on this planet is 100% safe. Is it safer than taking them on a ride in your car? I bet it is....
Chris

Actually that's a brilliant analogy.....imagine just how easy it would be to start making people feel evil for risking their children's lives by taking them for a ride in the car.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
Just because it's safer doesn't mean its safe and just because nothing is 100% safe doesn't mean hellwit everything I am going to do what I want.

It is rarely good to inhale a foreign substance into the lungs, you still can get respiratory problems... I mean people thought smoking cloves was great since it was safer than cigarettes, but they discovered it causes problems.....

With that being said as a Vapor and father of 2 daughters, I do vape around them in conditions I would never do with a cigarette.

IN the same room YES when they are sitting right up on me NO
IN the car YES with the window cracked open....when I am alone I leave closed

I am sure there isn't anything to worry about, but NOONE has been vaping 4-5 carts a day for the past 20 plus years.

Better safe than sorry....

a little side rant... (ONLY INCLUDING SOME NOT WHOLE) it is amazing when something is discovered as a safer alternative i.e. ecigs people think they can do it anywhere and everywhere as often as you want..... With in reason that IS True. With freedoms there are responsibilities and especially with this particular freedom being slowly torn away we don't need to give the opposing side any more ammunition ......

sorry I am not sure if i went far off topic or not hopefully I didn't cause the original post's to be side tracked:oops:

BlueSun

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2008
Canada, brrrr
I still keep to outdoors because I'm a bit paranoid* about the effects of second-hand vapour, but winter's coming, and it would be nice to vape indoors. (Somehow I don't think an e-cig could handle our cold Canadian winters. Maybe I should get someone to knit an e-cig cozy!)

I'm thinking about sticking to the family room in the basement when most of the family is doing their thing upstairs. I know that smoking analogues anywhere in the house still exposes people to smoke, as it circulates around the home. What about vapour? I imagine if I'm using it on a lower level that it should just dissipate fairly quickly and not spread around the house upstairs.

But what do I know...

* I get all OCD about things.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
We always smoked outside and not in the car. We now vape in the house and with the window open in the car.

But I wouldn't blow out a cloud of vapor if my 2 year old was standing right next to me.

Sitting next to me on the couch or in the car, my 16 year old, anti-smoking son says he doesn't even notice it.

I think with an infant under 2, because of SIDS, I wouldn't vape around them. Nicotine has to be in the vapor (I believe) and who knows how it would affect an immature respiratory system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread