Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Wow, I got some reading to do. Hmmmm I still do not understand why the car exhaust comparison does not fit with comparing second hand smoking rules in the great outdoors...

One argument against car exhaust is many more people use vehicles than smoke and people need vehicles to work, etc so it's unrealistic to ban cars. Of course, there are groups trying to force you to buy an electric car for the environment. They conveniently forget where electricity comes from, though, lol.

Anyhow, a better argument is other permitted smoke outdoors. None of the people trying to ban smoking in parks and on beaches can explain why short-term grill smoke exposure is safer than cigarette smoke, thereby justifying allowing outdoor public grilling but not smoking a cigarette or even vaping an e-cigarette outside in some cases. They also claim that "there is no safe level" of tobacco smoke exposure, so commercial "smoke-busters" in buildings aren't an acceptable solution, yet they allow smoke in restaurants via wood-fired ovens and grills and bars with open grills because the ventilation is sufficient?? R

They have somehow sold the public on the idea that wood and coal smoke is magically SAFER than tobacco leaf smoke!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You should know that healthnz.co.nz is not an equivalent of the FDA or BMJ. That study was not peer-reviewed. The link you gave just has a table and some unsubstantiated claims. The lone source is the study itself. Again, no peer review. It seems as if you have just found a site that coincides with your beliefs and that is all there is to it.

And, the FDA is our friend? If the FDA had their way, none of us would find a reason to be a member of ECF, except for DIY talk.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
One argument against car exhaust is many more people use vehicles than smoke and people need vehicles to work, etc so it's unrealistic to ban cars. Of course, there are groups trying to force you to buy an electric car for the environment. They conveniently forget where electricity comes from, though, lol.

Anyhow, a better argument is other permitted smoke outdoors. None of the people trying to ban smoking in parks and on beaches can explain why short-term grill smoke exposure is safer than cigarette smoke, thereby justifying allowing outdoor public grilling but not smoking a cigarette or even vaping an e-cigarette outside in some cases. They also claim that "there is no safe level" of tobacco smoke exposure, so commercial "smoke-busters" in buildings aren't an acceptable solution, yet they allow smoke in restaurants via wood-fired ovens and grills and bars with open grills because the ventilation is sufficient?? R

They have somehow sold the public on the idea that wood and coal smoke is magically SAFER than tobacco leaf smoke!

I know what you mean. There is an area that is near us that once you cross onto the property there is no smoking allowed. Common right? This area is a vendor based outdoor restaurant where there are over 100 open fires barbecuing, baking, etc... You walk through tons of smoke as you walk around, but hickory smoke is not harmful - Right???

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
So the bottom line would appear to be that if you could take in enough nicotine merely by breathing in a room where others are using an e-cigarette that contains nicotine, you might find that your ability to concentrate and pay attention is improved, that your visual memory is improved, that your information processing abilities are improved, and that your symptoms of depression are reduced.
If I were an ANTZ in bed with Big Pharma (we need a Code Name for Pharma btw- lol), these facts would scare me so much that I would be afraid that those around vapers might truly smarten up and insist on change, so I would continue to insist on either banning nicotine's unregulated form or continue to "push" the ineffective NRT's , no matter what the price or consequence to those being helped.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
The point I am trying to make is that no matter how big or small the numbers are, it is getting released in the air and we have to be mindful of it as we don't know the full extent of the side effects. However, we do know how nicotine affects us physiologically and neurologically. We know that children and pregnant people are even more susceptible. I was making that point because I see a lot of ecig users blowing it off as if there is definitively no side effects from the vapor to them or others around.

I know that this gentleman is not in this thread anymore and he's a Reo user (good thing!!!), but I want to make a comment. I'm glad he brings this up. I think more than the "effects" of the nicotine, although it is very miniscule and probably not really doing any harm at all, the notion that the vapor is visible and that some of the vapor has an odor is the issue- I know that people have complained of some of my concoctions that I vape. It doesn't harm them- it just annoys them- very similar to someone who walks by who is wearing and especially annoying perfume (also known as fragrance). If I farted in a public place, this would annoy others too....but if I kept quiet, they might not know the source. I'm just happy that if/when I fart, there is no large yellow cloud emitted that can easily lead the offended to the source. So it is w/ vapor- not quite as rancid, but others still may take offense.

On a similar note- I think in consideration for all the small children and pregnant women- if we spot them on the street, we should immediately take a turn at the block before we get to them and "drive around the block" so that they don't ingest the fumes from our automobiles- and we should also encourage others to do the same. If we continue to drive past them and force them to breath in our carcinogenic auto-fume-vapors, surely to goodness, the FDA or some other Gov. organization should begin a crusade to ban all fossil burners. Certainly there might be some who are already addicted to the carbon-emitting vehicles. Big Pharma should then develop a patch, gum and lozenges to help with this! I'm thinking I will opt for the patch as I've already experienced what a tailpipe of a car tastes like and it wasn't pleasant (don't ask).

So in conclusion- I have only 2 words

VAPE ON!!

Oh, and Postscript- A new flavor juice coming your way- "highway vapor!" for those trying to get off of the carbon, auto-emissions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread