Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
How do you guys keep check of the age of your batteries? I have the date marked of the first charging of each of them, but I heard that 500 charges should be the roundabout maximum. This will not be relative to the date I've written as I use 6 batts if i'm using drippers all day and maybe only 2 when I use rtas like the kayfun. What will be the biggest problem if my batteries get old. They all charge to 4.2 and none of them lose their charge quicker than they used to.

Reactions: jjatl

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
How do you guys keep check of the age of your batteries? I have the date marked of the first charging of each of them, but I heard that 500 charges should be the roundabout maximum. This will not be relative to the date I've written as I use 6 batts if i'm using drippers all day and maybe only 2 when I use rtas like the kayfun. What will be the biggest problem if my batteries get old. They all charge to 4.2 and none of them lose their charge quicker than they used to.

That is a great question, and I am interested in hearing the answer also. I would imagine, that on a regulated device, you would just experience a shorter battery life, but I do not know for sure.

Any battery experts care to chime in? Is an older 18650 any less safe than a new one, assuming the wrap is in good shape, on a regulated mod?

Reactions: Zutankhamun

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
Charge cycles indicate how long a battery will go before it starts to degrade it's performance. How you treat the battery can attribute to how long it will keep holding a full charge. Also even if you just charge it for 5 mins or charge it all the way it's still considered a cycle. I work on cellphones and in my expierence after about 8 to 12 months a battery will only hold about 70% of its original mah. But this all depends on frequency of charging and the amps /heat punishment you put on the nattery. Results will vary. But if your asking if it's safe? I'd say your absolutely safe as long as the battery physically looks ok, just might not last as long as it usually does.
1. I try to only charge the battery when it drains to under 10%.
2. I pair batteries, which everyone should do if your devices use 2+ batteries in series or parallel.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Any battery experts care to chime in? Is an older 18650 any less safe than a new one, assuming the wrap is in good shape, on a regulated mod?
I'm no expert but what I understand is that the mAh and amp rating will degrade over time. I've heard people say the "c-rating" goes down but I don't think that's true. The "c-rating" is just a multiplier, applied to the mAh capacity to find the amp rating. Example: A battery has ratings of 2000mAh and 10C. This battery can safely discharge at a rate of 2000 * 10 = 20,000mA (milliamps) or 20A. However as it ages, the battery gradually loses capacity, so that towards the end of its life maybe it can only hold 1200mAh. The C-rating doesn't change, it's still 10C, but since it's now only 1200mAh then the amp rating (derived from the C-rating) is also lowered to 1200 * 10 = 12,000mA or 12A. So while discharging at 15 amps may have been perfectly safe -- with a full a 25% margin for error, even -- when the battery was new, it's now dangerously beyond the safe limit for continuous discharging now that the battery is worn.

If you have any batteries you're not sure about, I would relegate them to your lower-powered regulated mods, or bring them in to like a Radio Shack or Home Depot for recycling. Or most anywhere, really. Any retailer that sells anything with a lithium battery in it, is supposed to accept old ones for recycling, but I bet you'll have a hard time convincing the guy selling cigalikes at the gas station that he's supposed to know what to do with your old 18650's :)

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Thanx @Hans WermhatI only have 7 batteries atm anyway so they never sit for longer than 2 days if I am vaping mtl etc... But I must say I have safe batteries from a respected reliable source here in the UK, they always show me 4.18V if I make a mistake and put the battery back in the charger (d4) even 15 min later. Is that right? Just assumed it was.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

I marked my batts with date, but that has mostly rubbed out;
now the plan is to mark a ring around the base, and every January, mark another ring, so the oldest batteries are the ones with the most rings.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Most 18650s are good for about 300 charge cycles. If they are pushed on or beyond their CDR, or if they are charged at high amp levels or not allowed to rests after charging, then this may be less. Depending on how many batteries you have in your rotation, 300 cycles may be a year or more.
As bwh79 said, the time taken to charge the battery and how long it will hold a charge for will decrease with age. Most importantly for people using mods with a high amp draw, the CDR will decrease over time making calculating a safe amp draw for a given battery a lottery. Quality batteries are cheap, so it's easy to be conservative, if in doubt recycle it.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I usually use them for about 6 months, after that they get demoted to flashlight batteries and I buy new ones, 20$ every 6 months for 4 batteries isn't that expensive when you think about it, at about the 5 month point I'll order more from fasttech, when six months arrives they should be here. If you don't have a 18650 flashlight get one ^__^

$6.44 UltraFire SH98 LED Flashlight w/ Focus Zoom - 1-LED / 3-Mode / 910LM / 1*18650 / clip at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, your 20A battery may only be a 10A battery.

Rest batteries after charging:

One commonly-reported factor in almost all the incidents we hear of where batteries failed violently while in use is that they were taken directly off the charger and then used immediately, at which point they failed.

Because of this, we think it may be a good idea to rest batteries after charging them. This advice will not be found in the usual 'reference bibles' on batteries, but we see more and different reports than others. Therefore we now advise:

Do not use batteries directly after charging them. Use a battery or batteries you previously charged, and that have rested for several hours. This is especially important if using a stacked pair for higher voltage, as statistically the risk is far higher.​

The benefit to resting is increased battery lifespan & minimize the chance of venting. The better you treat your batteries the better they treat you. I use three batteries in rotation: one in my mod, one on my charger, and one charged and resting.

IMHO, its better to recharge a battery before it drains dead. In other words, recharge it at 3.6 volts instead of waiting until its 3.4 volts or lower. "Topping a battery off" is better than draining it dead. Draining a battery dead is hard on battery life.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Interesting, I was lead to believe that site was well informed.

Baditude and myself are both well informed.

Should either of us never be questioned when giving technical information?

You know the thread about watts law? Almost every detail in that thread is correct.

Much of which is posted by someone with a degree who works with electrical theory professionally.

Yet look how muddy the waters get over minor details.

Imagine a layman trying to interpret written text without someone knowledgeable to converse with and confirm.

Despite seeing some details on the site tested and proven wrong, the above is the real issue with just linking there for info.

The site is more of a course textbook.

It requires a KNOWLEDGEABLE teacher to guide the students through the lessons.

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread