Brass Screen Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Nope, after the second day using this mod I won't be using it again. It is way too hard on my attys and they are just too precious to me. I'm disappointed

I like it but im afraid to swap attys with it. I think I will crush down the bridge that will make it hard to use with anything else when I stop using the brass.

Hangtime

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2009
Seems like lots of progress :)

I would vote for stainless steel over brass.

Now, the problem here is the contact between the two metals - the cart screen material and the nickel bridge. That contact might not be good (the weak-point), and I suspect the nickel bridge may get damaged quite easily over time.

So how about developing a new atty specially for dripping by using this material in the atty rather than in the cart (lots of space in there) ...

And (I may have missed this) has anyone tried incorporating the 'straw mod' (a short length of cotton bud tube at the inner side of the cart)?
I put the straw in to help with the refill(mine was pooling a bit) and it works great for me, 1 fine mesh screen with the straw, no leakage and it vapes well.

To the OP, great mod and thanks for sharing!!

smc

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
California

I tried both techniques by rhoneil. I think I may be doing it wrong, or I am using smaller screens. in both cases they leaked pretty bad. I will try using 4 screens in the future.

Tried the original and it works quite well. The only draw back is I can not fill the cart by simply dripping. The screens will take around 6 drops and then it will pool. Basically the screen is not releasing the fluid into the bottom of the cart. I removed the screen and filled the cart with about 12 drops, and then placed the screen back in. This is working quite well.

Thanks to the OP. I found the PTB mod OK, but I still had to top off with this mod.

Stric9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Fort Mill, SC
Tried the original and it works quite well. The only draw back is I can not fill the cart by simply dripping. The screens will take around 6 drops and then it will pool. Basically the screen is not releasing the fluid into the bottom of the cart. I removed the screen and filled the cart with about 12 drops, and then placed the screen back in.

On refilling the original.... Have you tried tilting the cart at a 45 degree angle and droping the nic juice in the lower corner? This works for me.

Respects

Texas Rover

Aug 14, 2009
Hello all,

On the Light green build up on your screens. I would suggest that you check to make sure you got Brass screens, Not copper wire screen. Copper will oxidize to a light green color.

I’m sure smoke shops carry varying “grades” of “brass” screen. If you want to be sure though head down to the local hard ware store. Get the brass faucet screens. I’m sure they are more expensive than $0.10 for five. I’ll find out tomorrow. But it will be a much better grade of brass.

Stric9 thanks for sharing the mod. I’m looking forward to trying it.:lol:

Sorry folks but as a 22yr vet I have to pass this on to all who will read and truly see our world for what it is.:mad:

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his own web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00 hrs, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?":evil:

-NousDefionsDoc

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
I have noticed that green color when cleaning the threads where the atty meets the battery. There, it's kind of powdery. Reminds me of dry toothpaste. I don't know if it is some type of corrosion or if the juice just does that on its own after a while. Wasn't there something on juice turning green in the bottle a while back? JC juice? Point is, it's hard to say exactly.

Why can't any cart mod just work and leave absolutely no doubt as to its safety? Argh.

Last edited:

xpetechp

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
schadoe - I've been using this for approx 1 month (+- a coupla days). It seems to me the screen makes the atty run cooler. I haven't take any temperature measurements but it feels cooler to the touch. Not sure why

Respects

I just found this thread and thought I'd let you know that the copper you are using is a better heat sink than the polyfill that was in the cart. You are spreading the same heat load over a wider surface area - so the atty will feel cooler.

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
I just found this thread and thought I'd let you know that the copper you are using is a better heat sink than the polyfill that was in the cart. You are spreading the same heat load over a wider surface area - so the atty will feel cooler.

I noticed the temperature difference as well. It was also a good indicator for me that the atty bridge may not be touching the brass when it got warm.

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
I noticed the temperature difference as well. It was also a good indicator for me that the atty bridge may not be touching the brass when it got warm.

This is so odd because a few people have said the atty feels cooler, yet mine doesn't. (If it is, it is not obvious). And the brass must be touching the atty because it seems to wick just fine. I also pull the brass up when I refill and let the atty bridge seat it when I put the cart back on.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I have noticed that green color when cleaning the threads where the atty meets the battery. There, it's kind of powdery. Reminds me of dry toothpaste. I don't know if it is some type of corrosion or if the juice just does that on its own after a while. Wasn't there something on juice turning green in the bottle a while back? JC juice? Point is, it's hard to say exactly.

Why can't any cart mod just work and leave absolutely no doubt as to its safety? Argh.
I'm wondering if a stainless screen might be better?

Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc. The 'green' you see is corrosion from the metals (called verdigris). This is going into your liquid, and you are bringing it into your lungs. Personally, I have worries about toxicity of these metals. Would we get that much from brass screen? I don't know (but I don't think I want to risk that).

Another thing to consider is that cooks know that copper pans are lined with lead because the copper can potentially interact with acidic ingredients to be toxic. It is my understanding that many of these e-liquids have citric acid in them. I'd think there could be a possible interaction with the juice and the brass?

Perhaps it might be a better idea to find a fine stainless steel (food or medical grade?) screen to try since the idea in general seems to be a winner?

Vape safely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread