Building a "hana" style mod with the fasttech enclosure: looking for tips, tricks, and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Do you have any place that can powder coat near you? You could have a clear powder coat put on it or maybe a ceracoat clear if they make it.
I don't know. It's not exactly common thing here in the south as far as I know. What type of shops usually do powder coating?
A coat of clear matte polyurethane (water based, non stinky) would be easy and durable. If it hold up on a floor it should last on a mod. Just put it on with a foam paint brush to avoid brush marks.
Let's say my 4 year old kid's painting skills are more advanced than mine. If there is a way to screw it up, I will find it :(

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

Blackl1sted

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
I don't know. It's not exactly common thing here in the south as far as I know. What type of shops usually do powder coating?

Let's say my 4 year old kid's painting skills are more advanced than mine. If there is a way to screw it up, I will find it :(

Regards
Tony

Not sure what type of shop would do it over there, in the states they are Powder Coat shops. It is a small item so you could get a kit to do it but I don't think it would be worth the effort unless you have other small things you want to coat also. Just throwing ideas out.

Reactions: tchavei

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Not sure what type of shop would do it over there, in the states they are Powder Coat shops. It is a small item so you could get a kit to do it but I don't think it would be worth the effort unless you have other small things you want to coat also. Just throwing ideas out.
And I appreciate it. Powder coat shops around here, I don't think so but I will see what's around. :)

Regards
Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Let your 4 year old cover it with stickers. When the stickers get worn, just have your child put on new ones. You can show off your child's artistic ability to the world.
Not a bad idea lol. It would probably look better than me doing it :)

Regards
Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Just leave it raw and polish it every once and a while. There are a ton of aluminum polishes like never dull, it will shine up like chrome :)
I considered that and that's why I mentioned the wax to at least seal off the surface from normal oxidation

First I need to finish polishing it. A lot of elbow grease but heck, at least it's fun and not costing me anything ;)

Regards
Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I wonder if you can use epoxy to gelcoat aluminium? Could look nice like colored glass.

BTW why protect the aluminium from oxidation? Isn't that basically what anodizing does?
I'm very sorry. I somehow missed this post.

I ended giving up on the enclosure. I did polished it almost to a mirror like finish but without access to anodizing or cerakote, it's not worth it. Some tolerances around the cover also creeped in so I decided to call it off.

On another note, I modified my mini: installed a mitek 1202 switch and retapped the 510 connector for a FD V4 low profile.

All in all it was worth it although spending 45 minutes wiggling the board into place wasn't fun at all. This mod gives a whole new meaning to 'zero tolerance'. Even the connector had to be soldered outside and pulled assembled through the hole and the button had to have leads soldered before hand before stuffing the board inside.

17f910ddb8063d3acde219e6b0b9c879.jpg

addc3b492102e71c4fa7ed7fd305ef4e.jpg

Just so you guys get an idea of the tolerance, here a pic of a 'test run' done on the other, sanded mod:

8e31f4b192c1eabaa6da2deda2743ceb.jpg

A nightmare if you think that the nut isn't even in place, not mentioning the board.

Regards
Tony

Spiceman1967

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Lompoc, CA, USA
Yes but is it really worth the trouble dealing with bases and other hazardous materials to end up with a crappy job? Don't know...

Regards
Tony

I don't know. I think you should give it a shot. Then tell us all how you did it and what not to do :thumbs:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Ok guys. My dna 40 screen just garbled permanently. :(

I was debating a subject at work and wanted to point on a ceiling projector when somehow my mini hana that I was holding in my hand, shot out, flew 9 feets across the room, hit a metal table leg, bounced and hit twice the floor before coming to rest...

Board works perfectly but the screen has two areas with vertical stripes.

My favourite mod... And I can't even blame someone besides me :(

Regards
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread