CDC Survey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KathyD26

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Calif.
About 5 weeks ago our household received a letter from the CDC saying we had been selected to participate in one of their surveys. I chose to ignore it. I have since received 2 postcards and a phone call urging me to participate. Well, last night I looked up what kind of panel this was and guess what? It's about smoking-knpanel. Hmmm, I suspect we were not "randomly" selected. Do you think those of us who signed the White House petition might be targeted? This is creepy to me, or am I overreacting?

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Kathy, I don't think you're being targeted and I wouldn't worry. Probably the CDC sends out thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of those "invitations." And I know they do all kinds of surveys regularly.

If you have the time, though, I'd love to have more information. Who in the CDC is sending it? Did they give you any idea of what kind of info they're looking for? Do you have a link to the panel website? Anything you'd care to post here would be appreciated!

KathyD26

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Calif.
Thanks Agent for responding. It's knpanel.com/CDC and Robert Alexander Jr. PhD.MPH is the person conducting it. (there is a www. in front of it) When I googled "knpanel CDC survey" it came up as a panel on smoking with some guidelines for those conducting it. I thought this was more than a coincidence! Even though my letter and post cards are addressed "current resident" I sort of freaked out when I got that phone call.

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Here's a link to the "general info" page on the National Health Interview Survey that the Census Bureau conducts every year. NHIS - National Health Interview Survey Homepage

On that page there's a link to a pdf brochure about the NHIS that you may want to look at (if you haven't already). It describes the survey and what kinds of data are collected. Seems they have core questions that are asked every year, and then supplemental questions that may change over time. I remember seeing some statistics on smoking that came from this survey, so no doubt they do ask questions relating to that.

The phone call is kind of puzzling, but I guess even our dear federal government has heard of reverse lookup phone directories, lol!

I don't think anyone is targeted, probably just names picked from the census rolls, and certainly if they were targeting signers of the petition, we'd have heard about it on ECF.

KathyD26

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Calif.
Google "cdc knpanel survey" then click on the document "Center for Disease Control and Prevention and-Reginfo.gov. Has the date of Jan. 6,2012. (Sorry, I don't know how to link it here) Anyway, what comes up are 12 pages titled "Evaluation of the National tobacco Prevention and Control Public Education Campaign" I think they might be in the 2nd phase of this, needing more people to participate.

Anyway, I was just surprised when I saw the contents of the document as I was expecting anything but that one. :unsure:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
No indeed, don't be surprised! The CDC (along with FDA and NIH) has a very pro-active anti-tobacco effort in place, and has been participating in the NHIS for some time.

It occurs to me that you may get a better response if you post a query in the General E-Smoking forum, as there may be other ECFers who've participated in the survey in past years... Have you definitely decided not to take part?

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
In the future, if you want the most readers and replies, I'd be inclined to post in the General forum if your topic doesn't precisely fit one of the others. If the moderators think otherwise, they'll move it.

(Note to moderators: I'm not in any way implying we should rely on you to do our job of posting in the correct forum; nor do I want to add to your workload! It's just that it's sometimes hard for us to determine exactly where a thread belongs. I've seen many instances where a thread posted to one of the "smaller" forums would have generated much more interest and useful discussion in, i.e., the General E-Smoking forum. As I think Kathy's would have.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread