CE4 Cartomizer Bad Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_&3

Aug 13, 2012
CA
Hello all,
I purchased the KGO starter kit about 3 weeks ago and I am loving it. I am trying new juices and trying new things and everything is great. That is until I bought a couple of CE4 Cartomizers (figured I would try these next).

I added some juice (70/30 mix) to one today, let it sit for about 5 min, then tried it. OMG I almost barfed it tasted SO bad. I could not taste the juice and all it seemed to be was a nasty burnt taste that actually hurt when I inhaled. Did I do something wrong with this thing? It seems pretty simple to use, just twist the top off and fill it up and connect to the battery. Did I maybe get a bad one? Please help!!!! gahhhhh I still have that nasty taste in my mouth GAHHHHHHH!!!!:mad:

Thanks,
Matt

Ictinike

A Minion of Cthulhu
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
NE Ohio, USA
From what I've been reading you must clean out or burn out the "primer" or solution the manufacturing process uses/creates.

There were many YouTube video's I've seen and posts read here on ECF that explains this and the outcome of not ridding the cart/atty of this primer solution results in much what you've described.

I believe you'll have to either clean it outright again, since you've already added juice, or continue to use the carto and it will eventually burn off any remaining residue and start to wick properly..

Best of luck and hope it turns out well for you. I'm taking note of others responses as well since I was looking at purchasing these as well.

Cheers,
~Ictinike

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
there are several things that could cause that nasty taste.

1) juice didnt wick fast enough even with sitting for a minute or two. I always add a drop or 3 directly to the coil to help it wick a little longer
2) if it wasnt a clean carto, a good cleaning can help tremendously. i usually let mine sit in a bowl of hot water for 10-15 minutes and then dry burn them till the coil is glowing red. then fill and repeat step 1

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
Thanks for the replies. I didn't know that they had to be cleaned before using for the first time. I can just put them in water for a while to clean them out? Also, is the juice I am using too thick? If so, how do you thin it out? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure these things out since they didn't come with instructions :)

i usually dont clean cartos before use, but will put the few drops on the coil to help wicking. now for a 70/30 juice it should be fine in a carto/clearo may not wick very fast but will still work fine. now you could thin the juice with either PG or PGA but when thinning you also risk loosing some flavor and the nic will slightly lower as well.

Chriskarr

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
Oregon, U.S.A
To add to what others have said, if you dry-fire the atomizer before you add fluid to the wick, you can (and will) burn the silica wick which is in the ceramic cup, around the atty coil. There's anecdotal evidence that this can break the wick and cause silica deposition from the vapor, but we all *know* that burning atty wick (except SS, to some degree) will impart bad flavor, long-term. If you think this is the problem, you can always de-wick your atomizers, and this is best done when they are brand new. There are a few tutorials around and a couple youtube videos. This one worked for me on a 510: How to remove your Wick (Mod) - YouTube

Matt_&3

Aug 13, 2012
CA
When I got home last night I cleaned this thing out according to a video I saw on youtube. The juice I was using was just nasty in this thing even though it tastes awesome when I use normal cartridges. Once cleaned I did a dry burn then added a different juice. Let it sit over night and tried it this morning.

I took a couple small drags and it was fine, taste wasn't that strong but it wasn't burnt. Then I took a big draw like I see people on youtube do and the nasty burnt toxic taste came back. After that even small drags were nasty. I had to let it sit for about another 10 min before I could take a small drag without it tasting burnt again, but after 2 drags it was back. I really want this thing to work because I hate adding drops to my cartridges all the time. Am I doing something wrong, is this thing bad, or is that just how they work?

Thanks again for all your help,
Matt

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
There are two diff types of clearo wicking systems- short wick and long wick. The short wick were discontinued because of the wicking issue. To resolve this problem try tilting the clearo so that the wicks get saturated. Also what ohms are you using? I find on my Kgo 1.8 clearos are too low yet when I use 1.7 cartos it's vape heaven. Here's a comparision pic

yKtc9.jpg

Chriskarr

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
Oregon, U.S.A
Well, if it's still atomizing liquid it's still performing its function. If this kind of issue is unacceptable, you should pursue some modded devices. Their atomizers are larger, more easily- and inexpensively-replaceable and quite simple to rebuild.

Of course, you might be able to get the gunk that's causing the flavor out with boiling hot water, perhaps mixed with a bit of alcohol (ethyl or isopropyl) added after heating. I personally don't care for the design of commercial atomizers. There's too much surface area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread