Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
It's up to every individual to set their own safety limits. I advise people not to leave any charging battery unattended, as in leaving the house. Charging them when you are sleeping in that same house ramps up the potential for disaster considerably.

Last edited:

Fajar

Mar 27, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
Speaking of charging batteries, I know that charging via USB is not recommended for any device, especially double or triple battery devices because the charing of the batteries are not equally spread. But what about single battery devices like the evic mini and pico? Would it be okay just to rely on USB charging..for the time being of course,, (sorry if off topic)

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Speaking of charging batteries, I know that charging via USB is not recommended for any device, especially double or triple battery devices because the charing of the batteries are not equally spread. But what about single battery devices like the evic mini and pico? Would it be okay just to rely on USB charging..for the time being of course,, (sorry if off topic)
There are some that you can safely charge via USB with double and triple cells like with the Evolv DNA200.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
I know its frowned upon, but I quite often leave my batteries in the Xtar / nitecore charger overnight. I also tend to leave my DNA200 mods plugged in charging overnight as well.

Like mentioned its up to the end user to decide what their safety tolerance is. If you do decide to leave them in the charger / plugged in overnight, just make sure there isn't anything thats highly flammable around them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This has always been a controversial subject.

Statistically, 80% of battery incidents occur while the battery is being charged. E-Cigarette Explosions: Comprehensive List

There is evidence that say's that you shouldn't leave batteries in a charger overnight. Doing so allows the charger's "trickle" charging stage to kick in to keep the battery's charge at 4.2 volts. This leaves a battery at its most excited and vulnerable state, and if you put your battery into your mod directly from the charger, you could be at an additional safety risk.

Once a battery receives a full charge (4.2 volts), it will naturally start to slowly lose some of that charge, even when not in use. Manufacturers want their customers to be happy with fully charged batteries when they need them, so they design algorhythms which keeps the battery's charge "topped off" while sitting in the charger waiting to be used. Sounds like a great idea, but its not so great for the battery's health.

Trickle charging leaves a battery in a highly excitable and vulnerable state. This is why we tell people to remove their batteries from the charger as soon as they are fully charged, to not leave batteries in a charger overnight while sleeping, and to "rest" batteries before putting them in a mod.

"Rest batteries after charging--
One commonly-reported factor in almost all the incidents we hear of where batteries failed violently while in use is that they were taken directly off the charger and then used immediately, at which point they failed.

Because of this, we think it may be a good idea to rest batteries after charging them. This advice will not be found in the usual 'reference bibles' on batteries, but we see more and different reports than others. Therefore we now advise:

Do not use batteries directly after charging them. Use a battery or batteries you previously charged, and that have rested for several hours. This is especially important if using a stacked pair for higher voltage, as statistically the risk is far higher." --Rolygate, ECF Forum administrator

The benefit to resting is increased battery lifespan & minimize the chance of venting."

Additional info from resident battery expert Mooch:

• Make sure the charger you use turns off once the charge is complete. Check the instructions for the charger you want to use.
  • Never use a trickle charger with Li-Ion batteries! The continuous holding of the battery at the trickle charge voltage damages it.
Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

Last edited:

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Not a good idea to charge batteries while you sleep. Some lower watt single built in batteries like the isticks have to be USB recharged.
Oh you just reminded me. thanks. I just woke up and made coffee. Last night, I pulled my charging batteries from the charger and unplugged the charger. Time to continue charging since I am now awake.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
I read that you shouldn't leave them charging unattended thus sleeping/all day may possibly explode or catch fire not sure if that is true but I assume leaving them charging for a long period can damage batteries over time if doing it long enough. I also assume there are chargers that stop charging once batteries are fully charged so you might want to look into those

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread