Battery charging question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamarahvt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Springfield, VT
I looked everywhere and couldn't find an answer to this and I'm feeling kinda foolish.
I use a 510-T with an automatic battery. The directions say that they take 3-3 1/2 hours to charge. This is fine during the day as I am a SaHM but what if I need to charge one overnight? Is there an automatic shut off? I think nothing of leaving my cell phone charging overnight but the whole "exploding batteries" thing has me kinda paranoid.

So...what do you think? Do you leave one charging overnight or play it safe?

Calypso53

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2012
NJ
The advice throughout this forum is do NOT leave any battery charging overnight. I admit I do charge my cell phone overnight and when I first got the e-cigs, I did the same. But since reading all of the posts about battery safety, I don't any more. It's just a tiny bit more of a pain, but it's better to do the charging when you're awake and can periodically check to see if it's done so you can remove from the charger.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
Good question - definately play it safe!

Best to be super vigilant when charging any batteries and only use the charger that comes with your battery.

Most do take a few hours to re-charge and best to do that away from anything flammable and when you are nearby so that you can monitor them.

You can use a pyrex bowl, dish or measuring cup to put the battery in while charging. There have been a few reports (some, but not all have been user error) of melt downs and that in turn has caused problems for items nearby.

hth ;)

Benalron

Dec 5, 2011
Columbus, OH
Most batteries out there have a protection circuit to prevent to much electricity from entering the battery when its full. This is also how the charging light goes green from red when something is full. This is true of the KGO's also kidbeaster... I leave mine charging overnight every night. I am sure the 510 automatic battery has a circuit to prevent this also, the light turning green on the charger means it's recognized as being full. Its relatively safe to just leave them plugged in overnight but there is always a small chance something could go wrong (protection circuit failing). If you like to be super cautious I wouldn't leave it in over night or if you do I would put it in a pyrex bowl so if something goes wrong its not a huge deal.

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
I have only heard of one battery on this forum which exploded while the woman was charging it via usb. She had it on top of her computer and the thing shot like a rocket and hit her door some 20 feet away and dented it. The flames from the battery also caught everything on her desk on fire. If you are scared, and you have every right to be, try this item right here and if you really want to double up then put it in a metal index card box like I do.

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 18x22cm Sack

Fireproof bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread