Charging issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi, and welcome. Are you using a different charging cable with your computer? I was told not to use a wall wart, (I think some of them output too much power) and typically, unless it's an internal battery, you want an external charger (you can pick one up for about $30--40 or less and it's well worth the investment) as it's easier on the batteries, the mod, and you do run the risk of your USB port breaking, which, unless you know how to replace it, will ruin the mod. It's my understanding that some of the smok products don't do so well with USB charging the batteries evenly either (I can't remember where I heard that but I did).

Can you say more about your make/model setup, how long have you had it, how long have you been charging via passthrough and how old your batteries (or battery) are/is? That would be helpful in directing you to the safest method of charging. I don't use any wall warts unless they come specifically with the mod, as many of the high speed chargers these days are drawing way too much current from the wall to safely charge your mod, so unless it was specifically for THAT device, I'm not exactly surprised it stopped charging.

It may end up being worthwhile to replace your batteries in any case, since you may have overstressed them already (what once was working now is not, and etc.)

Best of luck, do provide a bit more information if you can. If you want more info on batteries generally, here is a great place to start: Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Best of luck and welcome to ECF! :)

Anna

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Defiantly want a external charger. Alot of mods with usb will pulse charge your batteries which wears out your cells faster. Anyways look on your wall chargers output if it's to low it won't charge. Try a different charger with a higher amp output. Or the usb on the mod is worn out or the cable.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Agree 100% on the external charger. The only mods I have ever charged via USB were my DNA mods and that's only if I get caught away from home w/o a spare battery. I wouldn't trust any board other than Evolve to do USB charging, especially balanced charging on multiple batteries.

Also agree that it sounds like the wall wart is the problem. It probably only puts out 0.5-1.0 amps and the mod is trying to charge at a full 1 amp. I once fried a cheap wall wart with an old Puresmoker pass through (I'm really dating myself here;)).

Anna, that's not exactly how the charging works. The output power of the charger shouldn't matter unless it is too low. While it is possible to damage the mod by supplying too much voltage, USB adapters all supply 5 volts so that shouldn't be an issue. It is the amps that matter, but even if you had a 100 amp supply the mod would only pull as much as it needs to charge. The power supply doesn't push power to the mod, rather the mod pulls only what it needs and no more. In this case I think the mod is trying to pull more amps than the wall wart can supply and it either shut down or completely fizzled.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Sounds like your wall adapter is bad, buy a new one or best bet is to get a dedicated charger for removable batteries. I don't recommend using your computer, if something goes wonky your computer is at risk.

A wall adapter is a power source not a charger, the charger is in the mod. A wall adapter output needs to be rated at or above what the charger input is. If the charger in the mod needs a 1 amp input your wall adapter needs to be at least 1 amp output, higher would be safer. Just like a battery (another power source) you don't want to push it to or past its limit.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thanks you guys, that was really informative. I don't want to harm my computer, so for any internal battery mods that I have, I think I will just buy a 1 amp wall wart and dedicate it to any internal mods that need charging (ahem, including my new Radius that arrived yesterday that I have not been talking about as I'm a little ashamed of myself for the purchase, though I did find it at a really great price and it indeed looks barely used.)

I don't have the brainpower to read through the entire manual today yet, it's Sunday and I like doing Not Much but hanging with my kiddo for dinner on Sundays. Yes, I am dying to have at it.... I also want to have at it correctly, given the fact that I was shocked to find it at all.... :D. Technically, I should wrap it and put it under the tree but the likelihood of that happening is LOW, LOL.

Anna

Reactions: tokarev

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
If you're using the same cable to charge both from the wall wart and the computer, the wall wart is bad. If you have a removable battery mod, get a stand=alone charger. Also get a spare battery or two so you can swap batteries and vape one while the other is charging. Welcome to the board.

Sounds like the usb adaptor in the wall is bad.

I agree though that you are better of using an external charger for all batts as you do not get an even charge from inside the mod and the battery's life time will be less.

And also its just safer in my opinion.

Hope you get it sorted.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Hi, and welcome. Are you using a different charging cable with your computer? I was told not to use a wall wart, (I think some of them output too much power) and typically, unless it's an internal battery, you want an external charger (you can pick one up for about $30--40 or less and it's well worth the investment) as it's easier on the batteries, the mod, and you do run the risk of your USB port breaking, which, unless you know how to replace it, will ruin the mod. It's my understanding that some of the smok products don't do so well with USB charging the batteries evenly either (I can't remember where I heard that but I did).

Can you say more about your make/model setup, how long have you had it, how long have you been charging via passthrough and how old your batteries (or battery) are/is? That would be helpful in directing you to the safest method of charging. I don't use any wall warts unless they come specifically with the mod, as many of the high speed chargers these days are drawing way too much current from the wall to safely charge your mod, so unless it was specifically for THAT device, I'm not exactly surprised it stopped charging.

It may end up being worthwhile to replace your batteries in any case, since you may have overstressed them already (what once was working now is not, and etc.)

Best of luck, do provide a bit more information if you can. If you want more info on batteries generally, here is a great place to start: Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Best of luck and welcome to ECF! :)

Anna
Sorry, but wall warts down push amps, the charger in the mod pulls them. A higher rated wall wart is actually a good idea as it won't heat up as much as a lower rated one.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Sorry, but wall warts down push amps, the charger in the mod pulls them. A higher rated wall wart is actually a good idea as it won't heat up as much as a lower rated one.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
Essentially correct, but I don't like to use the word push. It's more like the wall wart offers a certain amount of amps and the charger takes what it needs.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Sounds like your wall adapter is bad, buy a new one or best bet is to get a dedicated charger for removable batteries. I don't recommend using your computer, if something goes wonky your computer is at risk.

A wall adapter is a power source not a charger, the charger is in the mod. A wall adapter output needs to be rated at or above what the charger input is. If the charger in the mod needs a 1 amp input your wall adapter needs to be at least 1 amp output, higher would be safer. Just like a battery (another power source) you don't want to push it to or past its limit.

Good catch. Yes, I misspoke there. I used the word "charger" where I should have said "power supply".

Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey, guys. I'm new here. I have an Alien vape and recently, it has stopped charging with a wall charger and will only charge in a computer. Can anyone tell me why? Thanks in advance!
Welcome and glad you joined.
If your wall charger is the one you are using that came with your Alien, hard to know what your problem is without hands on eval. If you are using any cell phone wall charger, that may be the cause of your problem. It's best to use only the manufacturer's spec wall charters. If this is not the case, could take mod, cable and wall charter to a B&M vape shop for an eval.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread