Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I'll admit, I'm new to Clapton coils and I wasn't able to post in the new members area. I've only used pre made CCs twice and I just got my first spool today of 36k/28s. This may be a no-brainer but I have a question about how to achieve a nice coil, as this is not a nice coil. Can I or should I anneal the wire to straighten it out and should I be going for a tighter or more spaced coil? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!
f9d12d142fe0e8ef10e9723ff6879295.jpg

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
I'll admit, I'm new to Clapton coils and I wasn't able to post in the new members area. I've only used pre made CCs twice and I just got my first spool today of 36k/28s. This may be a no-brainer but I have a question about how to achieve a nice coil, as this is not a nice coil. Can I or should I anneal the wire to straighten it out and should I be going for a tighter or more spaced coil? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!
2c2e82665046450061fcb66c1abc3e9f.jpg

Hi
I love claptons myself..like these two in my Griffin.. not as small as yours looks like, but they vape great...
Its 24/32g kanthel (no annealing or beating with a hammer needed, lol) with about 7 wraps on 3mm bit and wicked with cotton bacon..pic was taken prior to new cotton for a flavor change after vaping about 150mls of juice..
You didn't say what atty your trying to build for...wish I could help more, :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
I use a drill to straighten it. How to is on Youtube. Learnt it from Rip Trippers. Good quality swivels and a drill makes making claptons easy.

Sorry, a bit tired I guess. Didn't get at first that it was a pre made clapton.
Not a premade clapton, just premade clapton wire, I think..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: xXxelis_prxXx

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I use a drill to straighten it. How to is on Youtube. Learnt it from Rip Trippers. Good quality swivels and a drill makes making claptons easy.

Add: Sorry, a bit tired I guess. Didn't get at first that it was a pre made clapton.

It wasn't pre made. I only said that I have tried pre made before. Thanks for the response![emoji4]

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I don't think that Looks that Bad. Not that Bad at All.

And when you put it in a Deck give it a Little Nudging, I think it will look like a Pro Made it.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Coil looks good. Put mandrel back inside coil and hole one leg and with a pair of plyers pull on other leg. Then do same on other end. Put it in a tank and clip the ends. Dryburn coil and while coil is hot gently sqeeze it and hold till it cools. That will tighten it up. if not glowing from centre to outside of coil use one of the tattoo bars and lightly rake the coil with it. Repeat this step till it glows evenly from centre of coil out to the ends. Vape a quarter tank of juice and write everything down for next round if you want higher or lowerr ohms you will know more or less wraps, Want to change coil size you will know if you want to repeat. I write details of all coils I make or pre spooled wire for future reference.Good job as you are doing well. CHEERS!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
What tank are you building for?

:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Dusting off the Kayfun 5[emoji4]
Wondering if that type of coil is too wide to fit under those screws?
I think the coil looks just fine. I would not worry about the legs at this point, you end up cutting those off anyway. Before wicking it do you test it for ohms and hot spots?

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Wondering if that type of coil is too wide to fit under those screws?
I think the coil looks just fine. I would not worry about the legs at this point, you end up cutting those off anyway. Before wicking it do you test it for ohms and hot spots?

Always, sugar, always![emoji4]

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Land of Oz
If I hadn't bought the $33 drill a while back I would have bought the Avid Artisan Daedalus even though it's $73, then I wouldn't have had to drill holes in my table, but it works fine with the new swivels I got from Asia off Ebay, called "Owner P-17", size 2. The Berkley swivels I used before weren't that good. The Zivipf spools fit the Daedalus as they have an inner diameter a bit more than 10mm, that is required.

The Prospin 2 I was recommended by Skeintastic looks great, but the import tax for me on it is too much.

USA OHM METERS

jig.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ChelsB

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Avid Artisan Daedalus Works well. I got mine from Canvape for $49.99. I have enough coils to last two lifetimes. Bought a couple hundred from FastTech of the prebuilt ones because they were cheap. Have about 6 spools of different prebuilt Clapton wire. Some day you will see me on that hoarders show on TV. Oh well wife, family and friends like it, free vape stuff. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread