Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
First... (always wanted to do that)

The add get confusing if trying to trade or sell more than one item, other than that it rocks!

The thought was to have a separate post for each item you selling, trading, or wanting. I can see where it would be confusing having multiple items in one post. I'll have to think on this and see if I can format it better for multiple items.

Suggestions are welcome :D

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
For multiple items, perhaps just multiple instances of the price field? Or even better, just multiple line items within it

Lets say for example that there is a large lot of miscellaneous items, just 2-3 of each of maybe a dozen different items, maybe allowing for a total lot price and then individual fields for each line item in the lot? No need to duplicate all the other info for each item

This point is particularly relevant to me since I have a bunch of miscellaneous stuff I was going to list and the only workaround I can see with the current scheme would be to fill in the form for the lot as a whole and then post a further breakdown of individual prices afterward in the post. That method could still work just fine, though. The only other alternative I can think of would be to make multiple smaller lots and multiple threads (not all at once, of course ;-) )

For the record, I haven't yet made any posts under the new classified system, so my suggestions are made completely blind and may not be relevant. Just voicing them on the off chance that they are, or that they may inspire something that is ;-)

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
maybe mod the layout so when posting an ad make a selector drop down list for how many items and then it breaks down all the different adds below into first second third etc. and the info follows below each item?

The Easy Forms add-on doesn't have conditional input, so that wouldn't work. I wished it did, that would make it much simpler!

Now that all the different countries share a single classifieds forum, is it possible to sort the threads by country?

See here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/member-classifieds-swaps/272397-temporary-search-links.html

For multiple items, perhaps just multiple instances of the price field? Or even better, just multiple line items within it

Lets say for example that there is a large lot of miscellaneous items, just 2-3 of each of maybe a dozen different items, maybe allowing for a total lot price and then individual fields for each line item in the lot? No need to duplicate all the other info for each item

This point is particularly relevant to me since I have a bunch of miscellaneous stuff I was going to list and the only workaround I can see with the current scheme would be to fill in the form for the lot as a whole and then post a further breakdown of individual prices afterward in the post. That method could still work just fine, though. The only other alternative I can think of would be to make multiple smaller lots and multiple threads (not all at once, of course ;-) )

For the record, I haven't yet made any posts under the new classified system, so my suggestions are made completely blind and may not be relevant. Just voicing them on the off chance that they are, or that they may inspire something that is ;-)

Yeah, I'm going to have to think really hard on this because it's definitely a problem. I don't want to add extra fields because if they're unused, there will be gaps in the ad.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi Joker,
With the new feedback score option vs the feedback thread, can we search through the feedback thread to find who posted positive feedback and ask them to re-enter it using the new option? just a thought...thanks

That is a good idea but the thread verification may prevent this option, since the original threads are long gone. I'm also not sure all members would be willing to do this, especially ones that are very active. I will take it under consideration, this may be a last resort if no other options are available.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm more concerned about losing the negative feedback. There were 1 or 2 frequent flyers in there that should be recognized.

Well, the really bad ones have no access to the Classified section any longer and some do not even have access to the entire forum. The others where banning wasn't necessary, they are still accessible from the Negative Feedback thread.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I've spent some tome with the new posting format, and there are two things I find frustrating.

First, the large font size. It takes up a lot of the screen and also creates larger spacing between lines, making it necessary to scroll quite a bit to see the entire ad's text. If the intention is to make the ad stand out from other posts, perhaps just a different font or bold in the form layout would achieve the same result while making more information show on the reader's desktop.

Second, placement of the images in the middle of the ad make it harder to navigate to get the full story about the item and breaks up the reader's focus when they are trying to process the information. I think pictures after the text would flow much better.

So a smaller font and pictures separate from the text are the two things I would really like to see to make it easier to use. Thanks!

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've spent some tome with the new posting format, and there are two things I find frustrating.

First, the large font size. It takes up a lot of the screen and also creates larger spacing between lines, making it necessary to scroll quite a bit to see the entire ad's text. If the intention is to make the ad stand out from other posts, perhaps just a different font or bold in the form layout would achieve the same result while making more information show on the reader's desktop.

Second, placement of the images in the middle of the ad make it harder to navigate to get the full story about the item and breaks up the reader's focus when they are trying to process the information. I think pictures after the text would flow much better.

So a smaller font and pictures separate from the text are the two things I would really like to see to make it easier to use. Thanks!

Font won't be changed to smaller due to the massive differences between users. For instance you say it's too large for you, it's actually perfect for my screen. If I were to reduce the size, it would be practically unreadable. So where would we draw the line? You can read it at the current setting whereas I can't read it at your suggested setting. The font setting is settled into a neutral size where all can at least read it. Some it will be perfect, some it will be large, and it might even be small for some. The ones that see it too small would definitely be unable to read it if we reduce the size.

Picture location is a standard layout, first you see what you are considering, then from there you determine if you want to know more information. So the next natural flow is to have a detailed description. You will find this same flow on most all websites you visit, it's the standard.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Font won't be changed to smaller due to the massive differences between users. For instance you say it's too large for you, it's actually perfect for my screen. If I were to reduce the size, it would be practically unreadable. So where would we draw the line? You can read it at the current setting whereas I can't read it at your suggested setting.

I am not trying to be confrontational, I am not making a suggestion about text size at all. But you keep saying this and I am finally unable to not ask: If this is the case, how can you read normal posts?

I know I am simply missing information, but you have said several times now that you cannot read the text unless it is at "[ size = 5 ]" and yet the posts to which you are replying are not formatted that way. It comes off as basically saying that you cannot read the posts to which you are replying and that may be why people keep asking to have the text sizes reduced to closer to the text of the rest of the board.

As I said, I can easily live with the text the way it is now, but it is confusing to read that you "cannot read it when it is smaller" and yet the rest of the board, including this thread, is much smaller :shrug:

And as an aside, when the changes were first made I found the classifieds unusable. I find them easy to use now. Thank you for the constant work and effort to try to make them as pleasant as possible for as many people as possible :thumb:

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am not trying to be confrontational, I am not making a suggestion about text size at all. But you keep saying this and I am finally unable to not ask: If this is the case, how can you read normal posts?

I know I am simply missing information, but you have said several times now that you cannot read the text unless it is at "[ size = 5 ]" and yet the posts to which you are replying are not formatted that way. It comes off as basically saying that you cannot read the posts to which you are replying and that may be why people keep asking to have the text sizes reduced to closer to the text of the rest of the board.

As I said, I can easily live with the text the way it is now, but it is confusing to read that you "cannot read it when it is smaller" and yet the rest of the board, including this thread, is much smaller :shrug:

And as an aside, when the changes were first made I found the classifieds unusable. I find them easy to use now. Thank you for the constant work and effort to try to make them as pleasant as possible for as many people as possible :thumb:

Ok, not really sure where you get this size 5 because I don't see that anywhere in my previous statements. Here is the copy of the code from a current ad posting, please tell me where you see size 5?

HTML:
[CENTER][SIZE=6][B]For Sell/Trade[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
[SIZE=3]
[B]Sell/Trade:[/B] Special Edition Magenta Lavatube Kit with Extra Batteries + 7ML Tube Tank (Cartos included). Looking for a Bottom Feeder Mod. Never tried them before. Would be interested in a Reo, but I know I might be pushing my luck there.

[B]Condition:[/B] Like New

[B]Known Flaws:[/B] None, Brand New. Used Twice.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][B]IMAGES[/B][/SIZE]
[B]_______________________________________________________________[/B]
[SIZE=3]
[IMG][IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/Cid666/000pink.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

[B]Description:[/B] Special Edition Magenta Lavatube Kit. Includes Case, Trustfire Charger, 3 Batteries, 7ML Volcano Tube Tank and Box of 3.0 Single Coil Cartos (3 are unopened, 2 are opened but unused). Found out this evening that these are no longer available for purchase through Volcano.

[B]Price:[/B] Trade/Sell Asking B.O.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][B]Shipping[/B][/SIZE]
[B]_______________________________________________________________[/B]
[SIZE=3]
[B]I reside in:[/B] United States

[B]Will ship to:[/B] US/US Territories

[B]Shipping add-ons:[/B] Delivery Confirmation

[B]Shipping:[/B] To be determined. by buyer's address

[B]Total Shipping:[/B] I'll Pay Shipping on Trade/Sell

[B]Will ship:[/B] Immediately (within 24 hours)

[B]Payment accepted:[/B] I can only accept Bank or Money Orders at this time. I do not have Paypal.

Accepted terms of use for Classified.
[/SIZE]

As you can see, everything is size 3, with the exception of the main title being size 6 and the headers being size 4. If you can point me to where I said I can only read size 5, I will happily correct the statement.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ok, not really sure where you get this size 5 because I don't see that anywhere in my previous statements. Here is the copy of the code from a current ad posting, please tell me where you see size 5?

As you can see, everything is size 3, with the exception of the main title being size 6 and the headers being size 4. If you can point me to where I said I can only read size 5, I will happily correct the statement.

I saw it the same way--I quoted one of the ads. Can't remember which one, but when I went to quote the same one you did it's got smaller size text than the one I quoted (which was just the one one top at the time) so it was evidently one of the older ones. The size=3 emphasis is still larger than the normal text, but just barely--perhaps the constant influx of "make the text smaller" requests are coming from people who are inadvertently judging older posts, as I did.

Perhaps your biggest "problem" at the moment is that you've been so busy it's difficult to discuss the same iteration of changes as you are constantly looking at the current version but some of us are just seeing what we see. The birthing process is always strenuous, but it's the adolescent and teen phases that are the most frustrating and emotionally draining--and it looks like the new classifieds are just now entering their adolescence. Looking at the ad you quoted as the current version, I don't really see much room for compromise myself considering the vast differences between how people access the classies and the variations possible within those methods.

They're not perfect in my opinion, but I have the advantage that my opinion doesn't take into account anyone else's needs or wants. Kudos to you for not only doing that, but being able to compromise so well considering those vast differences mentioned above :thumb:

Oh yes, and just in case it wasn't obvious, I can see how ensmallerating a size=3 text on a generated form would make it unreadable for you and others...

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I saw it the same way--I quoted one of the ads. Can't remember which one, but when I went to quote the same one you did it's got smaller size text than the one I quoted (which was just the one one top at the time) so it was evidently one of the older ones. The size=3 emphasis is still larger than the normal text, but just barely--perhaps the constant influx of "make the text smaller" requests are coming from people who are inadvertently judging older posts, as I did.

Perhaps your biggest "problem" at the moment is that you've been so busy it's difficult to discuss the same iteration of changes as you are constantly looking at the current version but some of us are just seeing what we see. The birthing process is always strenuous, but it's the adolescent and teen phases that are the most frustrating and emotionally draining--and it looks like the new classifieds are just now entering their adolescence. Looking at the ad you quoted as the current version, I don't really see much room for compromise myself considering the vast differences between how people access the classies and the variations possible within those methods.

They're not perfect in my opinion, but I have the advantage that my opinion doesn't take into account anyone else's needs or wants. Kudos to you for not only doing that, but being able to compromise so well considering those vast differences mentioned above :thumb:

Oh yes, and just in case it wasn't obvious, I can see how ensmallerating a size=3 text on a generated form would make it unreadable for you and others...

I think size 5 was in the initial concept but was never seen by anyone outside the design group. I may have mentioned it during one of my post but we reduced the font before the launch. I think I even reduced it down from 4 to 3 after the launch. Can't really remember, it's all been a blur :)

It is really had to make it usable across the board and you can never get it perfect for everyone, getting a happy medium is the best you can do. Even then there will be a few that aren't happy.

I think where we have it now is where it will stay. I think we have compromised it to the max... :D

firhill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Port Huron MI./Ontario, CA.
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What's the deal with listing classifieds and reserving the right to pick and choose who you want to sell to?

Can I list an item with a [FS] price, sign out, then sign in the next morning and after weeding through all the PM's I received , sell it to the highest bidder?

Or will the moderators be checking with the buyer, to make sure they didn't have to pay more than the original asking price?

Doesn't this just open up the "auction" can of worms again?

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What's the deal with listing classifieds and reserving the right to pick and choose who you want to sell to?

Can I list an item with a [FS] price, sign out, then sign in the next morning and after weeding through all the PM's I received , sell it to the highest bidder?

Or will the moderators be checking with the buyer, to make sure they didn't have to pay more than the original asking price?

Doesn't this just open up the "auction" can of worms again?

Come on now, you know that's not what that means. It means the seller can weigh in any characteristic of the buyer to determine whether they feel it's safe to sell to the member or not. For instance, less than perfect feedback, newness of the member, whether they are verified, or any other factor they deem important. You will also notice this rule:

5. Bidding on items is strictly prohibited you must state the price of the item(s) you are trying to sell. Even if you are willing to accept a best offer, state the maximum price so that other members will have an idea of how much money you are expecting to receive for the item(s).

firhill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Port Huron MI./Ontario, CA.
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Come on now, you know that's not what that means. It means the seller can weigh in any characteristic of the buyer to determine whether they feel it's safe to sell to the member or not. For instance, less than perfect feedback, newness of the member, whether they are verified, or any other factor they deem important. You will also notice this rule:

:danger: I'm losing it...the paranoia has officially set in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread