"Cleaning" a Mechanical Mod and Hot Button Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
With a few rare exceptions (like the GGTS), most all mechanical negative ground bottom button mods use the same basic switch design we pioneered over 5 years ago now, where the button (usually with a replaceable contact of some sort screwed in it), makes direct contact with the battery negative end to complete the circuit.

The returning negative current on all of these mods completes the ground when it touches the negative end of the battery via two electrical paths (so called "dual" grounding):

(1) through friction between the button and the walls of the supporting cylinder/bore it slides up and down in when depressed (Where the name "Mechanical" mod originates from, they operate by metal to metal contact, no wires) and

( 2) through the spring which contacts the body and the button simultaneously. The exception to this is when the spring is replaced with magnets, it then becomes a single ground, via friction only.

If you are having weak performance, it is 9 out of 10 times due to oxidation interfering with the electrical path. Stainless steel oxidizes too, albeit it a much slower rate then raw brass or copper and is invisible.

Things to consider when "cleaning" a mod.

1. Looking clean doesn't mean its free of oxidation. Stainless oxidizes too and is invisible to the eye. There needs to be some mild abrasive to literally remove the oxidation build up, this is what we mean when we say "clean". Soap won't do it, some polishes wont do it, despite them looking all shiny afterwards(some polishes even leave a layer which further reduces contact). Try a pencil eraser on the contact surfaces or some very fine steel wool.

2. An often overlooked part is not just the button, but where the button rides up and down in the bore. The electricity passes from this bore wall to the button so clean it.

3. Clean the ends of the spring with the same abrasive as well as clean the body and switch area where the spring contacts.

4. If you have a telescoping mod, be sure to "clean" the brass compression band inside the lock ring.

5. Be sure to clean out the juice well in the positive pin area (this is an area where just soap, hot water and a toothbrush comes in handy) juice and gunk buildup in the positive pin area can effect connection dramatically.

6. If you have a "hot button" (do a youtube/internet search and you'll see no negative ground mod is immune) and have determined there are not any shorts in the battery or atomizer, your problem may be increased resistance due to oxidation build up or the build of the coil is too low of ohm and drawing to many amps for the switch to carry. Thoroughly clean the mod and if it persists, replace the spring with an HD version if one is available for your mod(contact your mod manufacturer) or intertwine two OEM springs or an HD and OEM spring, it will increase the amp carrying limit of your switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kemosabe

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sometimes alcohol isn't enough to get off stubborn oxidization, it'll clean off gunk and grime, but leave invisible oxidization. A very fine abrasive may be needed in these cases. Pencil eraser, fine steel wool, very fine sand paper etc for stubborn cases of oxidization. Keep in mind, on aluminum and Stainless steel, it may appear clean, but still have a layer of oxidization effecting current flow. In a best case scenario, we'd plate all parts of the mod with non-oxidizing precious metals, but it's too cost prohibitive.

quendelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
Clovis, CA
Sometimes alcohol isn't enough to get off stubborn oxidization, it'll clean off gunk and grime, but leave invisible oxidization. A very fine abrasive may be needed in these cases. Pencil eraser, fine steel wool, very fine sand paper etc for stubborn cases of oxidization. Keep in mind, on aluminum and Stainless steel, it may appear clean, but still have a layer of oxidization effecting current flow. In a best case scenario, we'd plate all parts of the mod with non-oxidizing precious metals, but it's too cost prohibitive.

So, what is a good abrasive cleaner?

Draconian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
San Antonio
Steel wool works - but is a really good source of problems if not completely removed. Use a magnet to sweep out the rest of the metal bits - handy little things, magnets.

I've used toothpaste before. +1

My preferred is 0000 steel wool or a 4000grit automotive buffing pad.

If you use the steel wool just be absolutely sure you get it all out when you're done. It can break down and gum up the works if you're not careful. :)

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Thanks for the great post and responses. Got out my pencil eraser, rubbing alcohol (not in that order) on the threads and coil. Geez, there was a bunch of thread powder on those threads (even though I have wiped the inside of the threads before). Also gave the pin a good bath.

BTW, I am still in love with my WH350!

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I have some pics i'll post up of typical hot button causes and where to clean tomorrow. I often get emails that read something to the extent "it happens on my PrecisePlus, but not my other mods". Trust me, just a quick search of "hot button" and you'll see no mod is immune to hot buttons. There is a simple reason for this. Most All bottom button mechanical mods use the design we pioneered (with the exception of the GGTS and a few others where the button doesn't make direct contact with the bottom of the battery when depressed ) over 5 years ago where the button (usually with some sort of screw in contact) makes direct contact with the bottom of the battery when depressed. The button grounds through two paths, one, friction between the button and the bore/sleeve/cap it rides up and down in and through the spring.

What is happening is very simple. Coil resistances keep creeping lower and lower. It is not uncommon to see .25 ohm builds, remember when 1.5 was low?! So low are the builds, they are simulating a short due to the high amperages they are drawing. This can cause arcing which builds up and interferes with your connection. It's a snowball effect. Clean often when you are running these ultra low resistances. Build up just snowballs the effect.

Just a quick search of hot button issues:

About 5,200 results (0.49 seconds)

Nemesis hot button
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../600550-nemesis-hot-button.html
Nemesis hot button. Anyone have any suggestions on why this is happening ? I purchased this nemmy from a local vape shop and addressed ...

Maraxus hot button and misfire fix.
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../560496-maraxus-hot-button-misfire-fix.html
Maraxus clone owners, here's an easy fix for hot button and misfires; add a thin o- ring here. It will extend the button throw a few millimeters, but.

Nemesis Clone Hot button Fix
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../548698-nemesis-clone-hot-button-fix.html
So I laid a layer of tin foil around the body threads....pressed it in....and carefully screwed the button on. It is a tight fit and no more hot button.

Hot button on GGTS
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/263613-hot-button-ggts.html
You think my coil is shorting? It vapes good,but 5-6 vapes in a row and it gets uncomfy hot.

Hot Button... King Mod.
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../491072-hot-button-king-mod.html
Recently, the button on my Knurled King Mod has been getting hot.. I've been using the same build on it for a bit over a week, and just recently ...

Stingray Hot Button Issue
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../616554-stingray-hot-button-issue.html
So last night while watching tv and dripping, I started getting what I felt was a warm to hot button on my stingray. Took a few more pulls and on ...

"Cleaning" a Mechanical Mod and Hot Button Issues.
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../620676-cleaning-mechanical-mod-hot-button -issues.html

iTEO Hot Button Fix using silicone sleeve as spring
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../609733-iteo-hot-button-fix-using-silicone- sleeve-spring.html
Hot button is a common problem for some mechanical mods using springs. Springs are resistive and conductive meaning current will flow to ...

MOD Help: Kylin Clone with a hot button
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../540305-mod-help-kylin-clone-hot-button. html
Recently got a Kylin Mod Clone and after 4 days the button started getting hot when pressed. Using a SonyVTC4 on a .28build in a Raiju RDA ...

Help! Hot Button Issue
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../379788-help-hot-button-issue.html
I can switch three different known working gennies, ...

EHpro EA/Quad Coil and Hot Button ?
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../520648-ehpro-ea-quad-coil-hot-button.html
I have an EHpro EA mod, cleaned thoroughly and greased all necessary areas with dielectric grease, an IGO-W, and Sony VTC4's. I built up a ...

Hot button!!
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new.../586149-hot-button.html
I have a silver dragon mod by j2p and I keep getting a hot button. I have tried every trick I have read about to fix this but nothing has worked. I.

sentinal m16 hot button
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../607878-sentinal-m16-hot-button.html
Hi i just recently bought a sentinal m16 mechanical mod and i bought a sony 18650 vtc4 but for some reason the button keeps getting hot i ...

modded pisces switch. fixing the hot button
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../534449-modded-pisces-switch-fixing-hot- button.html
wasn't sure where exactly to post this but mods feel free to put in proper section if I goofed it. I have seen a lot of people complaining about ...

Mech Button/Switch Issue - Hot Button
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../580410-mech-button-switch-issue-hot-button. html
I have a quick question. What would be causing my button to heat up? I'm finding threads on a short in the build and then found some possibly.

Hot button on the Elite Hybrid Mod. Fix?
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/.../521025-hot-button-elite-hybrid-mod-fix.html
But now I get a very hot button 30% of the time. Is there any fix for this? Or does anyone have an idea of why this is happening? My Coil doesn't ...

etc etc etc..........

Heres are a couple of pics from a unit we got in recently that wasn't firing well. As you can see, the arcing is severe on the button and the inside of the bore/cap where it rides up and down. This condition leads to very poor performance.

Be sure to clean (with a mild abrasive) both the button but also don't forget that the bore/cap/cylinder it rides up and down in is just a critical to clean:

You can see the black arcing marks around the button here:
button1.jpg

And the corresponding black arcing marks inside the cap/bore the button rides up and down in:
horn2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread