Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I've had a few coworkers who had distain for vaping and who said they were going to quit, rather than use a "pacifier".

I suggested that they use vaping as a quit smoking tool, in the same way they think of gum or patches. To their credit, more than half of them did... and all of those people are still vaping up to a year after trying it.

The other half who didn't try vaping? Still smoking to a person. But, and here's the glimmer of hope, they're not making comments any more. I'm just waiting for the opportune moment to approach them again about vaping (or rather, waiting for them to show just a moment of interest, and I'll be in).

It seems to be a very similar phenomenon to suggesting AA to a problem-drinker. Half are afraid it won't really work... and half are afraid it will. :D Either fear seems to provide plenty of reason to those who want to diss either vaping or AA. :D

Andria

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
I'm surprised a smoker can claim to smell anything!

One of the biggest surprises I found after quitting smoking for going on three years - the world smells really different! (I can smell a smoker who's at the front of a large, city bus even when I'm sitting all the way in the back!)

Had ONE co-worker who held my shiny new Blu in contempt back in 2011. You're just replacing one bad habit with another, she said..you should just quit like I did!
Uh-huh.
Three years later, I'm still smoke-free. The co-worker is back to sucking her analogs.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I'm surprised a smoker can claim to smell anything!

One of the biggest surprises I found after quitting smoking for going on three years - the world smells really different! (I can smell a smoker who's at the front of a large, city bus even when I'm sitting all the way in the back!)

Had ONE co-worker who held my shiny new Blu in contempt back in 2011. You're just replacing one bad habit with another, she said..you should just quit like I did!
Uh-huh.
Three years later, I'm still smoke-free. The co-worker is back to sucking her analogs.

We grabbed some Subway sandwiches last night, and on the way out of the store, we walked past someone, maybe 5 ft away from them, who had just come in... and I could smell the lingering stale odor from that distance. I can't believe I ever fooled my ex, who thought I was a non-smoker for probably a year after I actually went back to smoking... but he had a bunch of smokers in his office (it was the mid-80s, the ANTZ hadn't yet taken over America), so I guess his nose just got numb to it, and I took extraordinary precautions to keep him from finding out, (eating, showering and changing clothes along with the tooth-brushing and such) but still... I can't believe that he couldn't smell it on me. It's so lingering and distinctive.

Anytime I hear of some vaper who decides to quit vaping, because hey, he's all done with smoking... I just think, ok, see you when you decide to quit smoking again. :D Smokers who haven't yet ever tried to quit, don't really understand how indomitable the cigarette addiction can be. Once they figure it out, they're ready for the news of this gizmo that replaces it, pretty darn accurately, and even better tasting!

Andria

vapomike

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Hickory, NC (USA)
I think your co-worker is full of it. I've had coworkers comment on the actual vapor smell. The comments have always been positive. Saying that it smelled good and so much better than regular cigarettes. They have never commented on the smell of the juice while it was contained in one of my tanks. Now one time I did have a bottle of juice leak in my pocket and they smelled it. The asked if I was vaping... I was really confused at first because I hadn't vaped recently. Then I reached in my pocket and it was like dang. I had a pocket full of juice :/. The juice contained in a bottle or tank has very little smell and he's bsing you. I'm not one to harp on smokers or complain because of their smell. I was once the smelly smoker and I understand addiction so I usually keep those comments/thoughts to myself. In this case I would break that rule and tell him what he smells like since he smokes. I'd even offer hey you quit coming to work smelling like cigarettes and I'll quit vaping at work. If he doesn't want to take you up on it then tell him to keep his comments to himself.

Johan561

Dec 8, 2014
Boynton Beach Fl
Be grateful it's just your coworker and not someone you are married to. The latter is me. He's a smoker and has said and done everything your co-worker has done. We have come to an agreement where I only use one room of the house to vape as I refuse to go outside to do it in my own home.

He always talks about the additional chemicals, etc. and says he won't switch to vaping because he doesn't want to replace one crutch for another. He says he just wants to quit outright. If that were true, it would be fine, but I know it will never happen - he's been saying that for years.

Lol my mom is like that says it smells in the house i can vape for hours and she sees nothing comes in my room doesnt say a thing but if she sees me take a puff from the vape its the end of the world the whole house smells like it lol

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
If a SMOKER told me that my vape stinks, I'd be FORCED to inform him that his FILTHY ASHTRAY REEK had been bothering me for a long time, but I had been polite enough not to mention it. And then everytime he walked by, I'd very ostentatiously hold my nose and fan the air, while asking him if he had lung cancer yet -- or if he was one of those self-inflicted cue balls, asking him how his chemotherapy was going.

Andria

of all the dirty,rotten low down,awful things to do,
i like yours the best.
:D
mike

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
of all the dirty,rotten low down,awful things to do,
i like yours the best.
:D
mike

:D Everytime I see a guy who has shaved his head voluntarily, I want to ask how his chemo is going. So far I have resisted the urge, on the off-chance that he really is a cancer patient -- if he really is, it would be insensitive and tacky to say something like that. But for a SMOKER to carry on like that about the smell of vaping... he deserves it! :D

Andria

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Yea I tested my theory of him bs'ing as well. I told him i would leave my vape in my locker instead of my pocket to hopefully "correct" the issue. I actually walked to the back, took a nice haul on my vape, and headed back to my desk with it in my pocket. All of a sudden it wasn't an issue when he thought it was out of his proximity. Whiners will be whiners though. I definitely will be using some of the advice given if he bugs me again lol.

Last edited:
Have a friend who was walking with their boss out the door at the end of the night, and without thinking he took a pull from his vape to see if the atty was flooded or not. Halfway through the exhale, he realized he was still in the building, and blurted out "you didnt see that".
Boss-"See what?"
Friend-"Exactly"
Boss- "What smells like cookies?"
Friend- "I dunno gotta go see yaaaaa"

:D Everytime I see a guy who has shaved his head voluntarily, I want to ask how his chemo is going.
My canned response (as a cue ball) is "Terrible waste of time! Turns out it wasnt a 3 pound tumor after all, my $%#@ is just naturally that big".

Steelgirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
I have a really sweet co-worker. But he smokes outside and when he comes back into our shared office it's all I can do to not retch !! I vape just to make the air smell better lol. The only thing he says is "what's the flavor of the day today's?" Or he watches me re-fill a tank, he says "gassing up?" He's an older fella that doesn't want to try to quit via Ecig. But I do let him take a puff off my pv from time to time, when I've created a new recipe.

Sometimes it sucks being a non-smoking nicotine user. It never stank when I smoked ha-ha.

BadTrainDriver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
Dublin, Ohio
:D Everytime I see a guy who has shaved his head voluntarily, I want to ask how his chemo is going. So far I have resisted the urge, on the off-chance that he really is a cancer patient -- if he really is, it would be insensitive and tacky to say something like that. But for a SMOKER to carry on like that about the smell of vaping... he deserves it! :D

Andria

I've had a shaved head for 25 years now. So long as I can shave it, or pay to have it shaved, you'll never see me with hair on my head. I'd be willing to bet if you shaved your head for one month, you'd agree. It would take a month though, to truly get the feeling of scapel freedom. Wanna bet?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Have a friend who was walking with their boss out the door at the end of the night, and without thinking he took a pull from his vape to see if the atty was flooded or not. Halfway through the exhale, he realized he was still in the building, and blurted out "you didnt see that".
Boss-"See what?"
Friend-"Exactly"
Boss- "What smells like cookies?"
Friend- "I dunno gotta go see yaaaaa"

My canned response (as a cue ball) is "Terrible waste of time! Turns out it wasnt a 3 pound tumor after all, my $%#@ is just naturally that big".

ROFLMAO!!! My son has inherited the male-pattern-baldness gene from my dad... I expect to see him sporting a cue ball anytime now. :facepalm: And his hair was so gorgeous! It makes me want to cry, everytime I look at his ever-receding hairline. :cry:

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I've had a shaved head for 25 years now. So long as I can shave it, or pay to have it shaved, you'll never see me with hair on my head. I'd be willing to bet if you shaved your head for one month, you'd agree. It would take a month though, to truly get the feeling of scapel freedom. Wanna bet?

Not on your life. But I *have* threatened many times that when I get old, I'm going to get it all cut very short and wear wigs -- my shoulders can't handle all the up-reaching for many more years, and my hair is so thick, it takes FOREVER to style. It would be so much easier if I could style it right in front of me, then put it on. :D

Andria

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Not on your life. But I *have* threatened many times that when I get old, I'm going to get it all cut very short and wear wigs -- my shoulders can't handle all the up-reaching for many more years, and my hair is so thick, it takes FOREVER to style. It would be so much easier if I could style it right in front of me, then put it on. :D

Andria

My son started shaving his head when he started looking like his father (going bald). From long hair to bald. Quite a shock.

You can always do what I do with my hair. Wash, brush, and braid. That takes enough energy already. Forget styling.

Eh, I've had really short hair since I joined the Army (from long hair that was almost down to my shoulders, Mom didn't know me when she first saw me). As soon as the MPB and early gray started up, I began hitting it with the clippers every day or two. Not quit shaved, but it is only about 1mm. Can't see the grey, can't tell how bald I am, and easy upkeep.

I've let it grow out a couple of times while deployed and I look my actual age. So baby faced that with a hat on I was getting carded for smokes when I was in my 30's.

Oh, and only two weeks after quiting smoking, the smell from smokers is crazy noticeable. I've walked into a room and been like "what burned" and someone will tell me a smoker walked in with a question a half hour before.

Javamon

Verified Member
Nov 29, 2014
Hudson Valley, NY
...Oh, and only two weeks after quiting smoking, the smell from smokers is crazy noticeable. I've walked into a room and been like "what burned" and someone will tell me a smoker walked in with a question a half hour before...

Calling that a burn smell is almost too kind. *Some* things burning actually smell good - like a fireplace, or, like a barbeque.
Cig smell is - nuclear stank. :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
My son started shaving his head when he started looking like his father (going bald). From long hair to bald. Quite a shock.

You can always do what I do with my hair. Wash, brush, and braid. That takes enough energy already. Forget styling.

I'm really embarrassed to admit this, but... I can't braid behind my head -- too uncoordinated. I have to be looking at my hair in order to braid it. Plus, if I put it into one braid, it would be so thick and heavy it would give me headaches, and beat me to death from behind -- my plain-old ponytails are more than 2 inches thick -- but a ponytail is how I usually wear it, because it's just easier, and I'm not vain enough to worry about how I look, when I'm not going anywhere but the mailbox. :D

I used to braid it into 2, at the sides, for the wavy effect it gives, after you take out the braids (my hair is naturally wavy anyway), but I got tired of that; now I use the flat-iron to get rid of the waviness and fuzziness, and that helps a lot too to reduce its thick texture -- it seems more like a normal head of hair than a double head of hair. But, I have to do it in layers, there's just so much of it, and it takes FOREVER, so I'm really starting to think more and more fondly of a very short cut, and wigs. Guess I'll need to wait for the hot flashes to finally go away, or a wig would be much too hot.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I've let it grow out a couple of times while deployed and I look my actual age. So baby faced that with a hat on I was getting carded for smokes when I was in my 30's.

Heh... my son is that way too -- he normally wears one of those "goatee" things, because if he ever shaves it off and goes barefaced, he gets carded, or at least he did at 24, when he still smoked. In his military portrait, bare-faced and almost bare-headed too, he looks about 12. :D

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread