Condensation in lungs?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by lemongrass, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. lemongrass

lemongrass Full Member

I started vaping about a month ago and have found it life-changing. I love it! After 40 years of heavy smoking I virtually quit tobacco overnight and find vaping just as satisfying as the real thing minus the coughing and chronic shortness of breath. Not to mention the daily expense.

My question is this: I keep thinking it kind of makes sense logically that if you are chronically inhaling vapor into your lungs there have got to be some side effects. If water vapor is entering your lungs in regular amounts wouldn't that eventually start to "pickle" your lungs? Like staying too long in the shower and pruning your fingertips, only in this case from the inside out? There is really no information out there on this specific subject and I'd be very interested to hear other vapors' points of view or thoughts on this. Perhaps it's an ignorant question, but I keep wondering about it.

2. WomanOfHeart

WomanOfHeart Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Most of the vapor is going to be exhaled and the rest is going to be absorbed by the body. It's not going to build up in your lungs or give you pneumonia or "pickle" them. If it was capable of doing that, we'd have long term vapers telling us about it by now.

3. Rosa

Rosa Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Plus, it's not water vapor that's going in (though likely water vapor coming out). What you are inhaling is a humectant, so it'll suck all the moisture out of you, not the other way around, that's why it's important to keep drinking water all day when you vape. Some have even theorized that the vapor that you see when you exhale is made partially from the moisture in your lungs (as your lungs are naturally wet like a wet sponge, not dry like balloons).

4. lemongrass

lemongrass Full Member

Thank you, ladies. I can put that one to bed. It will be interesting to see what surfaces a few years from now on the effects of vaping. In any event, it's far better than tobacco, but still, so little is really known about the long term that, again, it will be fascinating to see what transpires. Thank you for your replies.

5. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Senior Member ECF Veteran

Heck, it can't be any worse than trying to breathe in southern Florida in August, right?

6. crazyodaz

crazyodaz Full Member

live in texas -- i can almost relate to that comment -- but florida has far worse humidity

7. Rosa

IMO, I don't think anything will transpire (maybe INspire though, LOL!) but I've done a bunch of research to ease my fears. Did you know that all three of the ingredients that we use are already present in tobacco cigarettes. The FDA makes it sound like we are vaping this crazy chemical concoction, but we aren't vaping anything that we haven't been inhaling with our tobacco smokes for years already.
    http://www.casaa.org/files/CASAA-Ecig-TriFold-Brochure.pdf
    599 Ingredients added to Cigarettes

8. ctourtelot

ctourtelot Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

coming close to my 2 year mark of vaping...chain vaping actually and I've had no problems in the lung department. The only issue I deal with is dehydration or headaches when I vape too much and don't drink enough water.

9. TeeFour

TeeFour Senior Member ECF Veteran

I was worried about PG/VG buildup as well. Then I did some research through PubMed and Web of Science and found out that inhalation studies on rats and monkeys were performed in the 40's, and no ill effects or buildup were found. I described the articles here.

10. Rosa

I love this, everybody should click the link provided immediately :)

11. closetsmokr

closetsmokr Super Member ECF Veteran

Vaping reminds me of breathing in VA in August... :p

12. Kate51

Kate51 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I know I have far fewer colds and my sinuses for the first time in my life perform normally, and it's alomost 2 years of vaping for me as well! This Winter Air in the house really is starting to annoy me though, time for some heat and humidity. PLEASE!!
    Excellent thread.

13. WomanOfHeart

WomanOfHeart Vaping Master ECF Veteran

VG was the one I had to look up. I wasn't so worried about PG because I know it's used in asthma inhalers and nebulizer treatments.

14. timato

timato Senior Member ECF Veteran

I'm dehydrated rather than saturated........need to drink more water!

15. Keiff

Keiff Senior Member ECF Veteran

Yea... It can get brutal here in Houston in the late spring and summer. This is the first place I've lived where it can be 100% humidity and not be raining.

16. Arsenic

Arsenic Full Member

Well then, that solves another one of my concerns :2cool:

PG being the base ingredient in my deodorant (Tom's of Maine), i was a little hesitant to try inhaling it.... (consider that i don't even smoke now) :laugh:

Thanks

-[Arsenic]

17. Kolie

Kolie Senior Member ECF Veteran

The only thing that I noticed was a difference when I inhale as I am drawing in the vapor (simultaneously), rather than puffing the vapor into my mouth first then breathing it in. When I was breathing it into my lungs directly it seemed be more of a wet draw and cause me to cough.

18. Wesleyn

Wesleyn Full Member

Drinking a lot of water is important. It will help flush all the cig toxins out of your body too!

19. starsgo

starsgo Full Member

either way you look at it, its better than analogues.

20. lemongrass

lemongrass Full Member

T4 - thank you for the wealth of information! Also, to the reader who mentioned that asthma inhalers use a vapor delivery sytem. This is true of course and kind of punctuates the end of the discussion. Also, to Iggy - Iggy, dear, you really should consider taking some course work in sarcasm and irony. I think you'd find life a lot more entertaining. All the best..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.