cotton question

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Porkchop081, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkchop081

Porkchop081 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have been getting "sterile" medical cotton from a local drugstore, should i still be boiling it? I was under the impression that the boiling was to remove chemicals and detergents, so "sterile" cotton should be good right?

2. pinkythereddog

pinkythereddog Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I think it's really a personal preference. I've been using the same as you without boiling and it's been working fine; it is sterile. I think others boil it just for their own piece of mine in my opinion.

3. MotherNatural

MotherNatural Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Germ free is not the same as chemical free.

4. volume control

volume control Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Boiling is for the paranoid

5. Porkchop081

Havent had any issues and have been using it for a couple of months now. Just curious

6. ScottP

ScottP Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I use cotton yarn which I boil to remove sizing, dust from sitting open on shelves, etc.

7. roadie

roadie Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I go for the organic rather than sterile cotton balls. I never boil it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

8. Porkchop081

I have not been able to find cotton that i was sure was organic, and walking into a drugstore and asking if they have organic cotton balls gets you some blank looks like "why does it matter". Then you try to explain what your doing and quickly realize that you are wasting your time. And this is how i ended up with the sterile cotton. Ask if for organic and get pointed to the bags of cotton that in no way say anything about being organic. Now for the kicker, the response to me stating that what they showed me was not organic, "well its cotton so of course its organic, it's natural, not man made" And this is the person who is in the back putting prescriptions together. Think about that next time you are at the drugstore picking up your meds

9. roadie

roadie Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Lol. CVS or other drugstores should carry organic near the makeup section.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

10. Txaggiesaunt

Txaggiesaunt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I use CVS Sterile cotton balls. Never boil them. Good luck & VAPE ON:vapor:

11. Flt Simulation

Flt Simulation Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I just use the cotton balls my wife has in the bathroom she uses for makeup or something. She has a big bag of them, so what the heck ... They are your standard cheap "sterile" cotton balls she bought at Walgreens or someplace like that.

I don't waste my time boiling them. Taste ok to me.

12. emus

emus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I boiled my cotton in tap water 3 times until the steam was near odorless. The first steam from boil had strongest cotton smell. Smelled same as unboiled virgin cotton wick vapor tastes. My new builds have no initial cotton undertones lately.

13. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran
    1. The HHV Army

I dont boil my cotton, but I do boil my kanthal.... its loaded with machine oil from the extruding process

14. Nataani

Nataani Moved On

Have never boiled cotton, ever.

15. wllmc

wllmc Moved On Verified Member

i use sterile and organic. i cant decided whats better. the sterile do have a funky taste at first for the first few drags but it goes away. the thing about boiling in water is now you have all the chemicals in your tap water and coming off the pot your boiling them in lol. catch 22 lol

16. rioteer

rioteer Full Member

i always use organic.

17. Dconnor

Dconnor Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I never used to boil, but was bored one night and boiled a bag of organic cotton balls in distilled water. For me, after boiling and drying out, it seems like the cotton absorbs better. Also, as mentioned before no break in period. Clean taste right away.
    Also, did about a third of the bag in 15 mins about 4 months ago. I think I have used about a half dozen or so, and won't need to do it for a while again.

Vape on, folks!

18. emus

emus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

The smoggy air we breath is loaded with fun chemicals. That's a real catch 22 for ya.

19. Lolli

Lolli Senior Member ECF Veteran

In my thought process, "sterile" will mean chemically treated. Sterile is for wounds and will have some chemicals on it to treat wounds.
    I have found organic cotton from Rite Aid. There was a whole entire section in the isle for "organic" products. This was separate from the make up and baby section (where other cotton balls could be found)

20. crxess

crxess ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Time to say it, and someone needs to:

All this debate about Sterile vs. organic and Boiling vs. not is ALL a matter of Personal Preference and much due to poor information.
    Water - Even if micro filtered still has some contamination. 99% Pure is still 1% who knows what.
    Most Distilled water is BLEACHED and filtered for mineral removal.
    Spring water may as well be from your well. Naturally filtered by the earth(Same principal)

Sterile cotton may have been decontaminated with Hydrogen Peroxide, but it is then flushed/rinsed and specially dried before being shaped and packaged.

Organic cotton cannot really be much, if any safer/cleaner as Cotton grows on the top side of the plant, exposed to ANY airborne pollutants as well as roots being subjected to any water born pollutants carried into any given field. (no? check out the Chesapeake Bay initiatives for clean water)

That said, cotton products are treated as personal use items and care is taken in preparation and packaging.
    Once open, the choices you make may or may not help or hinder cotton condition.

We are all experts in our own minds - just remember, even experts disagree.:ohmy:

Sterile or Organic - Boil or Don't. It simply comes down to choice until someone publishes scientific evidence.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.