Status
Not open for further replies.

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
my Doc had heard of vaping, and after checking me over, said it probably was the vaping that caused the bloody phlem. But from my sinus draining into my lungs over night, and not from it doing anything to my lungs. Well it has done something to my lungs, he said my lungs sound better than they ever have. I have copd and can't exhale very well. LOL he was listening to my lungs and started to move the thing to another place, and I was like hey Im not done exhaling yet. He laughed and said that was new.
the pg/vg has dried my sinus tissue , but he said anything that keeps me from smoking more is good at this point. I think now that I know it was drying me out, I can fix it with rinses and drinking a little more water. I have not had any blood since I starting taking care to keep sinuses frokm drying out. I only smoked 10 analogs yesterday and vaped all day. I have smoked zero analogs today, with vaping don't even crave one. Im going to go in in 3 months or so of not smoking, and only vaping, and ask to be put back in the lung booth and see if my lung function improves. I was at 60 % the last time, and I cheated and drank pop with caffein first.

Happy to hear this. Now...

In retrospect, wouldn't this post have been the right one to start the thread with? Lesson learned: talk to a doctor first instead of yelling fire in a movie theater.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
People want guinea pigs, to see what happens. I wouldnt want to be one however lol. I mean, For me personally, if i was coughing up blood, Id be scared to smoke anything really. I mean it could be something very minor. but still. I mean you have COPD? wouldnt it be better to give ur lungs a break completely? Have you ever thought of trying something like snus?

And im surprised all these long term smokers find vaping that satisfying. It does not really kill my urges to smoke. the more i vape the more i feel like im sucking in steam or something.

regards

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Happy to hear this. Now...

In retrospect, wouldn't this post have been the right one to start the thread with? Lesson learned: talk to a doctor first instead of yelling fire in a movie theater.

chad please do not reply to anything i say, you have nothing to say that I want to hear. It was a holiday, and I had the sinus problems with blood before, so I waited untill the next day to call the doc. I always planned on calling the doc. Your input is not needed nor wanted as far as I am concerened. if you were smart enough to read all the posts you might see why i asked, what I aassked and i got several replies of the kind i was looking for. Please spend your time looking for your droopy anus and not bothering me on the forums. If you read my last post entirely, you would see that the coughing up of blood was caused by the pg/vg, you are just happy that the post also says my lungs were fine. You can not have it your way all the time, and lashing out and attacking when you dont like something should have been beaten out of you long ago.

o and yes lesson learned added chad to ignore list

Last edited:

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
chad please do not reply to anything i say, you have nothing to say that I want to hear. It was a holiday, and I had the sinus problems with blood before, so I waited untill the next day to call the doc. I always planned on calling the doc. Your input is not needed nor wanted as far as I am concerened. if you were smart enough to read all the posts you might see why i asked, what I aassked and i got several replies of the kind i was looking for. Please spend your time looking for your droopy anus and not bothering me on the forums. If you read my last post entirely, you would see that the coughing up of blood was caused by the pg/vg, you are just happy that the post also says my lungs were fine. You can not have it your way all the time, and lashing out and attacking when you dont like something should have been beaten out of you long ago.

o and yes lesson learned added chad to ignore list

Look schadoe, relax a bit.

My point is: it's better to exercise a little tact in your posts ( an opinion I enunciated by being completely tactless).

Personal vaporizers are a relatively new technology and many, many folks here are new to vaping as well. People don't realize PVs have been in use in China for at least five years already. Many ex-smokers are very happy to have discovered vaping but are waiting for the other shoe to drop (the proverbial "deal-breaker"). So, you've got new people, with a new thing, who are all frightened there might be something dreadfully wrong with it. Then you've got the overzealous FDA saying how dangerous these things could be (but we don't know - they say - we haven't really tested them enough to be sure). That's a tinder box waiting for a match.

All these new vapers look in the health forum to see if others have reported any issues and instead of seeing the common ones (dry mouth, tickle in the throat, headache, whatever), they see your thread: "coughing up blood." So, this one thread overshcadoes others where people who have been vaping for a year or more report only mild dry skin (or whatever).

Yeah, in the end your issue is from dry sinuses but in the beginning you've already scared the **** out of some people that didn't need the scare. The damage is done. Some of those folks never will read through the whole thread to find out the truth.

I'm just saying, do your forum friends a favor by being considerate to social concerns and the climate we're all in presently.

And relax a bit. (oh, and I did read all the posts).

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
I had the same thing happen to me It turned into a lung abcess that ruptured...put me in the hopital for six weeks. See a pulmanologist pronto!!!!!!!!!!
LOL it was my sinuses draining into my lungs over night, it has happened , mostly during the winter when i get dried out , for years. Once again IT WAS MY SINUSES DRIED OUT FROM VAPING THAT BLED AND RAN INTO MY LUNGS WHILE I SLEPT, It has not happend again since I started using the sinus rinse Im supposed to do everyday anyway.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
here, since you haven't argued with ME yet, let me see if i can explain this, shadoe.

you: hi i'm vaping and there are no studies on PG and VG inhalation and i THINK it could be causing me to cough up blood.

us: hey sorry to hear about the coughing up blood, but in fact there are plenty of studies of inhaling PG and no reports of anyone else coughing up blood. you should really see a doctor.

you: yeah well i'm still coughing up blood and i still think it's the PG because no one has done studies on this.

us: hey yeah, well, we still think you need to go check with your doctor, and YES, there are still plenty of studies done about inhaling PG.

you: why are you all jerks and don't even care or want to help me? i'm just saying it's probably from inhaling PG because no one knows what it does, oh and also the flavorings.

us: um, hey, its the forum again. yeah there are a lot of studies done on inhaling these flavors and PG, and no one is coughing up blood. go see a doctor.

you: you all are idiots and don't even pay attention, i SAID it is from the PG because no one has done studies on inhaling it.

us: sigh.

that's how i read this whole thread.

now.

let me clarify a few points for you.

yes, PG can dry out your throat, so, drink water. there you go. the water will rehydrate your throat from the dryness it is causing. PLENTY of people will back that, and add that they've increased liquid intake (as in, drinking water) about 3x.

so there's one thing. drink more fluid if you're vaping.

second thing. SMOKING ANALOGS will numb the cilia/hairs in your lungs, you know, the ones that make you cough? as you STOP smoking...they start waking up again and will start WORKING properly again, and therefore, they may start making you COUGH a lot more to clear out your lungs. they weren't always doing this because you were SMOKING. also, search around, you'll find this info in the forums as well. some people had an increase in coughing when they stopped smoking and took up vaping, and even started coughing up nasty chunks of tar and other brown disgusting things that were in their lungs...mainly because their lungs started working better due to not SMOKING.

as for inhaling PG and flavorings.

just how much e-juice are you vaping a day? that's another point to take into consideration. some people go through 3ml a day, some 1ml, and either way, these are rather small amounts. when you consider the amount of flavoring that is included in these, again, VERY small. the flavor is often less than 20% of the whole mix, and the flavoring itself is often largely PG, so yeah...not alot of unknowns in that mix, other than probably a 2% amount of real flavoring "chemicals" inside your e-juice mix.

the general consensus of the thread is, hey, you're a newer member, you asked a question, and we answered you to the best of our knowledge.

you started pushing back, insinuating we don't know what we're talking about because obviously if it happened to you, that you MUST be the one unique single instance of someone bleeding from vaping. well, law of averages man. very doubtful. it is though, incredibly likely that another outside stimulus that we were not aware of, is causing the bleeding, and that's why you were told to go see a doctor.

other thing...in this recent post above about your doctor visit (finally) you say you have COPD? also may have been something to mention early on, just sayin. you threw out a small amount of information, and then kept adding more and more as you got answers from everyone, and still acted like we were wrong and you knew what you're talking about.

plus...all the snide insults to everyone that didn't agree with you, and telling them "omg well i don't ever want you commenting to me on the forum again" and also CLEARLY directing a snide comment, getting called out on it, saying you didn't, and then "oh well yeah, i DID direct that at you..."

sigh.

i'm just not understanding your angle here. alas, you do have your answer now, so, good luck with that. hopefully everyone will answer your questions with the information YOU want to hear and in a way YOU want them to answer instead of what we pretty much know to be accurate.

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
If you read my last post entirely, you would see that the coughing up of blood was caused by the pg/vg, you are just happy that the post also says my lungs were fine.

<sigh> No dude, NONE of your symptoms were caused by PG/VG. From your own admission, you have long had problems with your sinuses, dryness, and bleeding:
- I have bad sinus problems
- I just blew my nose and some blood came out. I think it was from drainage over night.
- My coughing has been sever for years, and would see some blood in phlem several times a year for the last 10 years.
- I have coughed up pinkish phlem for a long time and have seen many doctors. It is usually from sinus drainage, but can also happen from coughing violently.
- I had coughed blood before vaping.
- ...have been fine since i started sinus rinse...
- ...cough up pinkish to red tinted phlem in the winter on mornings that my nasal cavities have dried out due to having the heat on during the winter, and bled. That drains down and into my lungs and i wake and cough it up, yes this has been verified with drs. that is why i have been told by several that a little blood is ok.
- I wanted to know if the drying out factor of pg vg could cause the same affects as the heat running in the winter time, and make my nasal cavity bleed.
- LOL it was my sinuses draining into my lungs over night, it has happened , mostly during the winter when i get dried out , for years. Once again IT WAS MY SINUSES DRIED OUT FROM VAPING THAT BLED AND RAN INTO MY LUNGS WHILE I SLEPT, It has not happend again since I started using the sinus rinse Im supposed to do everyday anyway.

Your problem with bleeding nasal membranes is exacerbated ("an existing condition made worse" - if that word is too big for you) by you vaping. Cause and contribution are two very different things.

Once again for the record:

VAPING DID NOT CAUSE SCHADOE TO COUGH UP BLOOD!!

(he had a predisposition to sinus problems that were slightly aggravated by the drying effect of vaping - much like dry air in the winter)

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Ok I give up, You can post all you want, I am not going to argue with you. I wont be reading this thread again, so you will be talking to yourself. thank you to everyone who was worried, and who had similar problems. I was just hoping vaping may have agrivated my sinus, throat or even lungs to cause it, so it didnt mean it had to be something bad. it had never happened this time of year before, and I had to wait to get to the dr. So sorry I asked about problem that was agrivated by vaping. I did not see the "Only positive medical information, or question" sign.

I am going to try to figure all this out on my own from here on out, so I wont bother you anymore.

TheUltimateG

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Colorado
schadoe,

your not alone in this. I have been searching the forums for almost 2 weeks for this exact discussion as i seem to be suffering a similar issue. Mine does not sound as bad as you described though.

Every morning I wake up and can taste blood. On a few occasions i have coughed some up, or at least what would appear to be blood, just ever so slightly spotted mixed in with my phlegm. I have been vaping for over 2 months and it seemed to have started when i got in a new shipment of VG based liquid or the batch of PG RY4 I added a dash of caramel flavor to. I think it may be the caramel flavoring because it has lessend since i discontinued using the caramel mix, but i am not completely sure now after reading this post and hearing the results from your doctor. I have now come to the conclusion I am suffering a drying effect and I don't keep my throat lubricated enough, actually I don't drink extra liquids at all. I have also noticed an increased amount of phlegm in the back of my throat during this period and am now inclined to attribute this to a natural defense my body is creating to try and keep my throat moisturized.

Thanks to your post I now have a few options to help me narrow this down and since i don't currently have health coverage or a primary physician i will be trying to avoid spending a fortune going to see one at this time by tring some home remedies to alleviate the issue. I do not believe i am harming my lungs with vaping as i am able to breathe better but you could imagine my concern when this issue started.

Just an FYI to all whom read this and a little off topic. I did have a major scare when this issue first started where i suddenly tasted blood and spit out mouthfuls. Upon going to the bathroom i realized after looking into the mirror that my gums were bleeding. After a bit of research i found that quitting cigarettes can cause blood to start to flow better to the gum line and that anyone that has even minor onset of gum disease (as is my case) will experience bleeding gums.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
My phlegm in the morning is slightly bloody orange as well. It is a known fact that pg and vg dry out your mouth and everything else, which can cause bloody noses and such. While I won't say there's nothing to worry about, I'm not concerned myself. Just a mixture of dry nose, throat and allergies.
I have children with allergies that cough up bloody phlegm during allergy season as well.

So in short yes, I cough some blood up, but I have 290,000 cigarettes to thank for that.

LABeachBum

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
When I started vaping, I was able to quit analogs cold-turkey the very day my Blu Cigs arrived. However, after a week, I stopped pooping and experienced terrible constipation (I looked like a pregnant man). Anyways, the doctor told me that not everyone can go cold-turkey and any body transition is easier when you wean off something. Nicotine and the 4000+ chemicals in analogs over-excites the colon, and with a sudden reduction of either, I got a "lazy colon" that needed retrained. (Mistake #1: I got the "light" 11mg eliquid because I smoked "light" cigarettes, unaware than the body doesn't absorb vaped nicotine NEARLY as efficiently as analogs.) Odd that a doctor would instruct me to smoke, but he did hit it on the nose and lighting up a cigarette during my normal poop cycle did the trick.

Anyways, I discovered yet another glorious use of Glycerin, aside from our e-cigs, it makes a very effective suppository laxative. HA! Nevertheless, it is an experience to be a-Void-ed. ;)

I only bring this story up because maybe there is a similar sensitivity/adjustment issues with the lungs in doing the cold-turkey route.

---
Research Results from studies on Propylene Glycol: Propylene Glycol Research Study Results

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone. I'm new here and haven't even started vaping yet. Waiting for my very first ecig. Been reading this really long thread and just though I'd give a little comment . From what I read, schadoe has COPD. I myself have Emphasema and use 3 puffers. I do know from experience that these meds do dry you out, causing dry throat, dry mouth and dry nose. My nose occasionally bleeds even when it's humid. Throat is usually fairly dry. If PG & VG dry you out, then it's a double whammy where dryness is concerned. I am really hoping that ecigs will be a good thing for me as I haven't been able to quit a 40 yr. habit. I have however changed the way I smoke. I no longer inhale, but I know the smoke is still bad for me. I am researching and find this forum a great resource. Have learned a lot considering I only heard about ecigs a short time ago. If I find I have any effects from the ecig, I will post it in this forum. At least now I have an idea what to expect. I do not plan to go without the nicotine however. Maybe later I will wean myself off if I find that the ecig can replace my analogs. I'm really hoping.

maryjo

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Columbia, LA
When I started vaping, I was able to quit analogs cold-turkey the very day my Blu Cigs arrived. However, after a week, I stopped pooping and experienced terrible constipation (I looked like a pregnant man). Anyways, the doctor told me that not everyone can go cold-turkey and any body transition is easier when you wean off something. Nicotine and the 4000+ chemicals in analogs over-excites the colon, and with a sudden reduction of either, I got a "lazy colon" that needed retrained. (Mistake #1: I got the "light" 11mg eliquid because I smoked "light" cigarettes, unaware than the body doesn't absorb vaped nicotine NEARLY as efficiently as analogs.) Odd that a doctor would instruct me to smoke, but he did hit it on the nose and lighting up a cigarette during my normal poop cycle did the trick.

Anyways, I discovered yet another glorious use of Glycerin, aside from our e-cigs, it makes a very effective suppository laxative. HA! Nevertheless, it is an experience to be a-Void-ed. ;)

I only bring this story up because maybe there is a similar sensitivity/adjustment issues with the lungs in doing the cold-turkey route.

---
Research Results from studies on Propylene Glycol: Propylene Glycol Research Study Results
I love it beachbum

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
Hi everyone. I'm new here and haven't even started vaping yet. Waiting for my very first ecig. Been reading this really long thread and just though I'd give a little comment . From what I read, schadoe has COPD. I myself have Emphasema and use 3 puffers. I do know from experience that these meds do dry you out, causing dry throat, dry mouth and dry nose. My nose occasionally bleeds even when it's humid. Throat is usually fairly dry. If PG & VG dry you out, then it's a double whammy where dryness is concerned. I am really hoping that ecigs will be a good thing for me as I haven't been able to quit a 40 yr. habit. I have however changed the way I smoke. I no longer inhale, but I know the smoke is still bad for me. I am researching and find this forum a great resource. Have learned a lot considering I only heard about ecigs a short time ago. If I find I have any effects from the ecig, I will post it in this forum. At least now I have an idea what to expect. I do not plan to go without the nicotine however. Maybe later I will wean myself off if I find that the ecig can replace my analogs. I'm really hoping.

best of luck! just remember to stay hydrated. drink more fluids when you start vaping.

sunkissedbeach

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
West Palm Beach Florida
you know what, I am sorry i came here to ask a question. This is the closest i have ever came to quiting smoking, and I just wanted some help. I wont make the mistake of coming here and asking again. I will instead go to my dr and explain that I used a pv and my lungs bled, i didnt use it for 4 days and was fine, I used it again and they bled again. he can then contact the fda and that will help the cause. Chad you banner is great , one of the reasons ecigs are at risk is people like you who just act like nothing bad can happen from vaping, and everyone who thinks it can is ignorant. If they did not try to sell it as a perfectly safe alternative to smoking, some even stated it was healthy and perfectly safe. It may not be facing a ban right now. P.S I hope you find your anus , you will need it the next time someone else asked about vaping, its hard to be a a hole withput the a.

Sorry you didn't get the support you deserved. I just started vaping several days ago.
I am experiencing some heart burn.

I hope you stop coughing up the blood and I hope that it is nothing serious for you. I know sometimes if you cough hard enough to break a blood vessel you can get blood streaks in your phlem.

Please don't stop posting, it is good to see all the various different reactions people are having from the e-cigs.

Our postings are as close to a test group as they have come so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread