coughing up blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkissedbeach

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
West Palm Beach Florida
you know what, I am sorry i came here to ask a question. This is the closest i have ever came to quiting smoking, and I just wanted some help. I wont make the mistake of coming here and asking again. I will instead go to my dr and explain that I used a pv and my lungs bled, i didnt use it for 4 days and was fine, I used it again and they bled again. he can then contact the fda and that will help the cause. Chad you banner is great , one of the reasons ecigs are at risk is people like you who just act like nothing bad can happen from vaping, and everyone who thinks it can is ignorant. If they did not try to sell it as a perfectly safe alternative to smoking, some even stated it was healthy and perfectly safe. It may not be facing a ban right now. P.S I hope you find your anus , you will need it the next time someone else asked about vaping, its hard to be a a hole withput the a.

Sorry you didn't get the support you deserved. I just started vaping several days ago.
I am experiencing some heart burn.

I hope you stop coughing up the blood and I hope that it is nothing serious for you. I know sometimes if you cough hard enough to break a blood vessel you can get blood streaks in your phlem.

Please don't stop posting, it is good to see all the various different reactions people are having from the e-cigs.

Our postings are as close to a test group as they have come so far.

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
Hi really don't want to start the fight all over again, but I just have one simple question. The second post says the OP had this problem for many years prior to vaping. Why was this symptom attributed to vaping? I am confused :(

I have spent hours reading threads only to find out that the OP has had the problems prior to use of a PV and, quite frankly, it is very time consuming for those of us who are genuinely concerned about getting as much information as possible to read through page after page of possible problems from vaping only to find out that the OP already had the symptom! I would think if you have had the problem for many years before vaping, vaping didn't cause the problem :) But I could be wrong.

JMHO but we have (mostly) smoked for years and years and knew without a doubt that it was toxic, so why the obsession with putting GRAS things in our lungs now?

I will say, however, that I don't care for the candy flavorings (Loranns) because they do seem to give me a slight headache...with coffee (dark?) seemingly the worst offender. Maybe the flavored juice from JC, etc are flavoured with something other than candy flavourings? IDK, just curious....or maybe I am just putting in too much?

OK back to my corner now...just rambling LOL

Last edited:

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
best of luck! just remember to stay hydrated. drink more fluids when you start vaping.

Thanks. Appreciate that. I already drink a lot of water. Don't know if vaping will dry me out more. Will keep you all posted. My ecig has been shipped yesterday. Hoping it will make it through Customs OK.

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
Sam: Best of luck with this! I too have a 40 year addiction and I have been vaping for about six weeks. I have reduced my cigarette intake down to 2-3 per day...down from 1 1/2 to 2 packs per day.

I have experienced tremendous lung improvement and that was verified by my doc. I also have normal blood work now..not so 3 months ago.

That being said, I have not been diagnosed with COPD, asthma etc. I believe this product will help a lot of people, but I also know we do not know the long term effect. My rationalization is that we do know the long term effects of cigarettes!

I am new to vaping as well as many on this forum.

I did quit smoking one time before this for about 2 months, during this time of not smoking, I coughed much more than usual, and when I went back to smoking cigarettes my coughing decreased significantly.

Now that I have started using the PV my lungs feel much more healthy. I will admit that I do cough more duing the day than when smoking cigarettes, but from past experience I have realized that when stopping inhaling SMOKE i normally do cough more.

I only use Vegetable Glycerin and Distilled water with flavoring... I Can NOT see this being worse for me than all the nasty chemicals in Cigarettes.

However I do feel that it is the Lesser of 2 evils!!

Much Much Much Lesser.

Inhaling anything that is not The normal mix of Atmospheric air (21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen, 1% trace gases) Can NOT be good for you.

Please understand that coughing up blood is never a good thing. I hope everything is alright. Keep us all updated on this situation! Please

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
Please don't stop posting, it is good to see all the various different reactions people are having from the e-cigs.

sunkissed, it was an existing problem. He stopped using the nasal spray he was told to use by his doctor, which caused his sinuses to dry out.

He attributed this to his PV.

Once he began using the nasal spray again, it went away.

This is not a PV issue, this is his existing condition.

damunster

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Just a note from an ex smoker of over 40 years who smoked 2 + packs a day when I started vaping. I have diabities so I go in for blood work often and of course the Dr HAS to listen to my lungs and lecture me of the evils of smoking. I had to go in for a very sore throat (NOT RELATED TO VAPING) and when he listened to my lungs he went hmmmm, sounds good in there. lol. I showed him my pv and explained it to him. He had never heard of it so I told him to go online and check them out. He told me he would tell his other smokers about them and my lungs sounded better than they have in years. I have been vaping for about 3 months now and haven't touched an analog since day 1 of vaping. He did say to try and get off the nic though. lol

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
LOL here we go again, it was only an existing condition in the winter, it is not winter. I have never had it happen this time of year. It happened only when I vaped, then 4 days I smoked analogs and did not use the PV, and it did not happen. I vaped on the 5th day after the first time, and it happened again. It was vaping that dried my sinus out. It never happened in the summer before vaping. yes I have bad sinus problems, yes it had drained into lungs before, but only in the winter when the heat from the furnace would dry out my sinus tissue. No heat this time of year, only vaping. That said I am still vaping, I juist drink extra water and use the saline sinus rinse that I usually use in the winter time.

A doctor confirmed that the vaping dried out my sinus tissue, yes he said the vaping caused the tissue to dry out and that caused the bleed. He knew about PV, did not ask me to stop, he thought it was a good idea. he just said to use the sinus rinse to keep tissue moist. I am supposed to use the sinus rinse everyday, but I never have, it only gets bad in the winter and that is when I would use it.

Some people will have reactions to pg or vg, or the flavorings used. Just because the majority doesn't does not mean that some can't have vastly differing reactions, as with everything else, food included. Food allergies do not even affect all people the same way, one may swell up , one may go horse and lose voice, one may get hives, one may die, it can differ greatly from person to person, with an allergy to the same food.

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
now the most impressive information i have seen so far is the tests done in 2007 for hospital, and food establishments. A small part is listed below. I worked for a pest control company for 11 years, and the worst thing we could come across was a house that needed treatment that had caged birds as pets. Almost anything will affect a caged bird and most times cause death, the 2nd is cats , they have such a sensitive system that a lot of care had to used when a house had house cats. listed below is info on pg being used as a pesticide from the 2007 epa study. It lists caged birds, and cats as treatable with pg. to me that says everything about its general safety

1. Propylene Glycol
The following is information on the currently registered uses of propylene glycol products and an overview of use sites and application methods. A detailed table of the uses of propylene glycol eligible for reregistration is contained in Appendix A.
Type of Pesticide: Bacteriostat, Fungistat
Summary of Use Sites:
Indoor Non-Food: Propylene glycol is used on the following use sites: air treatment (eating establishments, hospital, commercial, institutional, household, bathroom, transportational facilities); medical premises and equipment, commercial, institutional and industrial premises and equipment; laundry equipment; hard non-porous surface treatments (bathroom facilities); automobiles; air conditioning filters; pet treatment, including cats, dogs, and caged birds; environmental inanimate hard surfaces; garbage containers/storage.

So please do not take it wrong when i say that it can cause problems, they will probably be rare, and differing from each person, for the majority it looks to be pretty safe. I started vaping thinking it just had to be safer than analogs, but it looks like it even has unexpected benifits. the target pests it is approved for treating is listed below. This does not change the fact that it did cause my sinuses to dry out and bleed. heated air in the winter time does this also though, and I think air is ok to breath, even if its heated.

Target Pests: Odor-causing bacteria, Fleas, Mites, Red lice, Animal pathogenic bacteria (G- and G+ vegetative), Shigella bacteria, Pasteurella bacteria, Listeria bacteria, Herpes Simplex I and II, Animal viruses, Influenza Virus A2, Aspergillus Niger Fungus, Mold/Mildew, Pseudomonas SPP., Shigella Flexneri, Shigella Sonnei.

Last edited:

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Sam: Best of luck with this! I too have a 40 year addiction and I have been vaping for about six weeks. I have reduced my cigarette intake down to 2-3 per day...down from 1 1/2 to 2 packs per day.

I have experienced tremendous lung improvement and that was verified by my doc. I also have normal blood work now..not so 3 months ago.

That being said, I have not been diagnosed with COPD, asthma etc. I believe this product will help a lot of people, but I also know we do not know the long term effect. My rationalization is that we do know the long term effects of cigarettes!

Hi frankie. Sorry to hear you have all that. :oops: I myself have Emphazema. 2 packs a day basically. Don't inhale anymore, but know I still get some smoke in there plus the second hand smoke. Not good. I'm really glad you posted this. It gives me hope. Still waiting on my ecig, but I figure it is the better choice from what I've researched so far. Tremendous lung improvement is great. Hope I have the same results. If this thing works for me, then it is a Godsend. I also have OCD and my smoking is directly connected to that. PPl. don't understand, but OCD makes it all the harder to leave the smoking behind. I am so excited about this ecig thing. Can't wait to get mine. Please keep me/us posted on how your doing. I haven't seen much re the ecig and health issues in forums but am very interested in this since I have a health issue myself.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Sam: I have found that I need to drink way more water and less caffeine and I already drink a LOT of water!

I do drink a lot of coffee and realise that it's a diuretic. Will see how it goes. Now I'll need a replacement for that as well. LOL. Wonder if I find a good coffee eliquid, if that might help. Planning on doing some experimentation with liquids. Find the ones I like. Unfortunately from what I've seen, most US suppliers don't ship to Canada. :nah:

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Now that I have started using the PV my lungs feel much more healthy. I will admit that I do cough more duing the day than when smoking cigarettes, but from past experience I have realized that when stopping inhaling SMOKE i normally do cough more

Hi Matt. I too have noticed I cough more when I can't smoke for long periods of time. From what I read, it's normal. Just your lungs cleaning out the toxins.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Just a note from an ex smoker of over 40 years who smoked 2 + packs a day when I started vaping. I have diabities so I go in for blood work often and of course the Dr HAS to listen to my lungs and lecture me of the evils of smoking. I had to go in for a very sore throat (NOT RELATED TO VAPING) and when he listened to my lungs he went hmmmm, sounds good in there. lol. I showed him my pv and explained it to him. He had never heard of it so I told him to go online and check them out. He told me he would tell his other smokers about them and my lungs sounded better than they have in years. I have been vaping for about 3 months now and haven't touched an analog since day 1 of vaping. He did say to try and get off the nic though. lol

Hi damunster. Glad you posted this. Second post I've seen about lung improvement. :cool: I haven't started yet. Waiting on my very 1st ecig. I plan on using the nicotine for now and hope to wean myself off the nic eventually.

Hotot

Aug 8, 2009
you know what, I am sorry i came here to ask a question. This is the closest i have ever came to quiting smoking, and I just wanted some help. I wont make the mistake of coming here and asking again. I will instead go to my dr and explain that I used a pv and my lungs bled, i didnt use it for 4 days and was fine, I used it again and they bled again. he can then contact the fda and that will help the cause.
Sorry I read this whole post and just had to comment. I stopped feeling sorry for the guy right at the quote. Looks like someone got his feelings hurt. So he decides to make threats? While not as nice as some of you I could still feel sorry for the guy if he was just a little slow, but to me his words seemed very malicious in nature.

I believe and I think a lot of people here believe that vaping will save lives. So to me his "threat" really comes more across as a "death threat", maybe even to 1000's of people. I'm not suggesting he shouldn't go to the doctor about it and be honest. (didn't every single person say that?) However, the way he put it after he got his feelings hurt (which would have actually been lieing to his doctor since it was his sinuses), and the simple fact that he didn't figure out it was his sinuses before creating the post "I'm bleeding from my lungs help!" tells me that he doesn't consider the effects of his actions. This isn't the everquest forums. People who read, particularly this section, are trying to make decisions that could change their lives.

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
Sorry I read this whole post and just had to comment. I stopped feeling sorry for the guy right at the quote. Looks like someone got his feelings hurt. So he decides to make threats? While not as nice as some of you I could still feel sorry for the guy if he was just a little slow, but to me his words seemed very malicious in nature.

I agree with you, but what I always try and do is place myself in there situation, although they may now realize that the delivery of there feelings, (you can tell they were worked up ) , it's sometimes difficult for some people to just ease back into a public forum after something like this. Anyhow, people should always take in consideration what this might look like when someone is looking for the facts. We always seem to see the bad in more light then the good, it's like we look for something bad, just to justify .

Anyhow, although I just ordered my first ecig today, I'm looking forward to it. I really can't stand smoking "analog" cigs anymore, it stinks, so do I, it loads up in your lungs, makes my nice white KB messed up all the time from constantly lighting, relighting and getting black ash on my fingers, I could go on.

These should suit me fine, as I smoke a bit different from anyone I know, like I said, I will relight many many times, sometimes as many as between 5-8 times, I don't like smoking a whole cig. Nasty
So in weighing the two, hmm, doesn't take a genius to figure out that if my nicotine habit is going to continue, might as well deliver it in a safer way. If there are any side effects, which are yet to be seen, I'll take that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread