DNA 200 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

SF0059

Verified Member
Mar 19, 2015
Lynchburg, VA
I'd like to think whatever rip is posting is not evolv... Usually anything new from evolv we would hear it first from pbusardo, not rip.

Both Rip and Busardo were DNA40 beta testers. That being said, Rip is known for being more titillating than Busardo... Thus the "leak".

I'll be interested to see who gets a review out first if this is indeed legitimate intel.

Madnapali

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2009
Northeast Ohio, USA
The only time I push a ton of wattage is unregulated with dual 26650s. I've never been a fan of the way high powered regulation feels. That said, I'm also in disbelief Evolv would make a 200w chip. I would have definitely liked 70w with temp control for a few of my atomizers, but most of them never needed more than 30w. If they make it upgradeable, give us more options than nickel, and release it without a ton of bugs, I might be interested... But I've got a Boxer on the way and I'm more interested in Ares OS than anything.

Eric Auer

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2014
PA
Just popping in to say:

Confirming that Evolv is always working on something. Whatever it is, it is firmware updgradeable as I have one. Popping right back out... :thumbs:

That is good news for Evolv.

With the amount of TC devices popping up lately this was a must.

Hopefully it will be the same size as the DNA40 so people can eventually change theirs out for this.

Eric

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
200 watts, Temp Protect, firmware upgrade-able......
-3S LiPo (You could use three good 18650s, and it also supports LiFePo. )
-Individual cell monitoring
-Full balance charging integrated into the board

.. all I can say right now....sorry for the poor quality of my picture...

12.jpg

Last edited:

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
200 watts, Temp Protect, firmware upgrade-able......
-3S LiPo
-Individual cell monitoring
-Full balance charging integrated into the board

.. all I can say right now....sorry for the poor quality of my picture...

View attachment 463727
Hrm... Now I gotta figure out where u live ;-) haha jk... But I think I'm closer than most

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
FYI SuckMyMod posted this on YouTube:

Yes the rumors are true. The next board from Evolve is the DNA 200. I have been on the beta and I will say that it opens up some whole new possibilities with temp control. A 26 gauge dual coil nickel build is really nice. There are some things I can't talk about yet, but next week I'm gonna do a video on it.

Re the 200W, I agree that at first glance it sounds odd - who needs 200W, especially for TC? My gut feeling, especially with SuckMyMod's comment above, is where it becomes interesting is in the pre-heat. You set the mod to 150W or whatever it can do in TC (maybe 200 even), and that gives a very brief but very powerful blast to the coil to get it almost instantaneously at-temp, almost no ramp up time at all. From there it drops the wattage right down to normal TC levels to maintain that.

I've been experimenting with that on my Dicodes 2380, setting it to its max of 80W to give an aggressive pre-heat and it is quite good.

But none of this as vaguely as interesting as TCR adjustment. If Evolv have stuck with Ni200 only (without offsets) it'll be a big fail in my view. It's so easy to implement, and opens up so many new possibilities. I know it's possible they're doing some special stuff for Ni200 - Brandon told me the reason Titanium requires a higher offset than the numbers would suggest is because of Ni200's TCR curve. I believe the curve is so slight as to be ignored in most cases, but perhaps Evolv have plotted it out to a high granularity for max accuracy (and/or, it's the non-configurable pre-heat that is most responsible for different offsets being needed.)

Anyway, my point is - if they are doing special handling for Ni200 that's still no reason to not implement a generic TCR mode: they could simply have "Ni200 mode" and "Other wire mode", where the Other mode allows a TCR to be dialled in by the user.

Incredibly easy to implement, and the best of both worlds - special handling for Ni200, and general linear TCR for use of other wires. If they implemented that, they would in my view be back at the pinnacle of TC; without it, not so much.

The more I think about it the more I'm sure this doesn't have anything like that, which is a big shame and will mean I won't bother with this any time soon, if ever. Super accurate Ni200 is not nearly as interesting as normal accuracy with other wires, and with development like Innokin's seeing potential use of any-wire TC, the ability of any new mod to support more than just Ni200 will help to keep it relevant for longer.

I've love to be wrong, of course. And it is good that they finally put in USB FW updates - which does mean that nothing can be ruled out for the future in terms of expansion beyond Ni200. Maybe they'll do it as a v1.1, even if it's not in the first release.

Last edited:

stephanep

Feb 4, 2015
LIege, Belgium
FYI SuckMyMod posted this on YouTube:

Yes the rumors are true. The next board from Evolve is the DNA 200. I have been on the beta and I will say that it opens up some whole new possibilities with temp control. A 26 gauge dual coil nickel build is really nice. There are some things I can't talk about yet, but next week I'm gonna do a video on it.

Re the 200W, I agree that at first glance it sounds odd - who needs 200W, especially for TC? My gut feeling, especially with SuckMyMod's comment above, is where it becomes interesting is in the pre-heat. You set the mod to 150W or whatever it can do in TC (maybe 200 even), and that gives a very brief but very powerful blast to the coil to get it almost instantaneously at-temp, almost no ramp up time at all. From there it drops the wattage right down to normal TC levels to maintain that.

I've been experimenting with that on my Dicodes 2380, setting it to its max of 80W to give an aggressive pre-heat and it is quite good.

But none of this as vaguely as interesting as TCR adjustment. If Evolv have stuck with Ni200 only (without offsets) it'll be a big fail in my view. It's so easy to implement, and opens up so many new possibilities. I know it's possible they're doing some special stuff for Ni200 - Brandon told me the reason Titanium requires a higher offset than the numbers would suggest is because of Ni200's TCR curve. I believe the curve is so slight as to be ignored in most cases, but perhaps Evolv have plotted it out to a high granularity for max accuracy (and/or, it's the non-configurable pre-heat that is most responsible for different offsets being needed.)

Anyway, my point is - if they are doing special handling for Ni200 that's still no reason to not implement a generic TCR mode: they could simply have "Ni200 mode" and "Other wire mode", where the Other mode allows a TCR to be dialled in by the user. Incredibly easy to implement.

The more I think about it the more I'm sure this doesn't have anything like that, which is a big shame and will mean I won't bother with this any time soon, if ever. Super accurate Ni200 is not nearly as interesting as normal accuracy with other wires. I've love to be wrong, of course.

Then again it is good that that they finally put in USB FW updates - and I suppose that does mean that nothing can be ruled out for the future in terms of expansion beyond Ni200.
Agreed.

I just saw the two graphs comparing evolv and dicode chipset signal :
Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2015-06-12-%C3%A0-11.33.07.png

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2015-06-12-%C3%A0-11.33.15.png

It will take more than 200 watt (how much guy vape that high) to covince me
My all day vape is my rdna and i like it but i know where my money will go the next time.
And dicode, apparently, want to build a box with the same kind of chipset. Exactly what i was waiting for :
TC on different kind of wire, in a box with a super smooth signal. What else ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Danielsuzuki

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Agreed.

I just saw the two graphs comparing evolv and dicode chipset signal :
It will take more than 200 watt (how much guy vape that high) to covince me
My all day vape is my rdna and i like it but i know where my money will go the next time.
And dicode, apparently, want to build a box with the same kind of chipset. Exactly what i was waiting for :
TC on different kind of wire, in a box with a super smooth signal. What else ?

Oh very nice! I'd not seen the Dicodes on a scope before. Thanks.

Yeah I heard about the Dicodes box possibility about two days after I bough their tube :) I hate tubes, and I hate having only one button, but the Dicodes accuracy and configurability makes it worth putting up with. A box would be so much better though.

Reactions: Maverik_X
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread