DNA40 vs SX350j

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Atty lock should have been standard from day 1, or better yet, after refinement decides they should lower the resistance reading, maybe give the option to accept, or keep old setting? From what I have read (please correct me if I'm wrong), that the atty lock feature removes the lock on the up/down button function.

Rikk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2014
Utah
When I build my SqR and throw it on my Flask, I start vaping right away, I don't wait. My initial reading is usually my target resistance. If it changes its only by a point. But the time I'm done building everything is about the same temp anyway. I shoot for .13. I've had my current build in for almost a week and it's now at .14. It raised a point yesterday and I know it's because my coil is gunking up some. Nickel sure don't gunk up much tho.

When I do refine it's only by a point or two at most. As I use it throughout the week it will it will creep up ever so slightly. When I hit .15 I'll build a new coil.

It took me weeks, maybe months to get comfortable with refinement and to understand what it meant. How to read it, how to trouble shoot it. What it was telling me.

It's a tool so many struggle with and mostly because of the atty's and tools we use. It's a tool I certainly want to keep. If and when I get a new device that allows me to lock in resistance, I'll personally keep this tool because it is trying to tell me something. Now there's so much information out there. Better tools to use. Information on what atty's work and which ones to stay away from. People who now have a lot of experience. I look to these people all the time still.

I'm not an expect but for the last several months I've learned to use refinement and not fight it, and now it's not fighting me.

What we need is our atty's to catch up with TP. I see others struggling with this new TP device too. Some of the same issues I had in the beginning.

I had to make it work for me. I didn't have a lock feature which I think is sort of a Band-aid anyway. We need more atty's designed around nickel. And I think we'll see them as more and more devices have temp protection/control.

I learned to overcome my issues and found what atty's and tools worked for me. I didn't really have a choice other than to give up. But I didn't want to. I was bound and determined to make this work.

Luckily I received a dna 40 board that worked the way it was supposed to, with none of the qlitchy issues that tainted so many. And that helped me out tremendously as I was learning how to overcome my issues with nickel.

Me.....I hope it's a tool they decide to keep. Because now it's one I rely on. And I can't be the only one. I know there's got to be other early adopters that have been successful with it and would like to keep this feature. Maybe just one you can turn on and off.

Last edited:

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth

Thanks ThunderDan,

Glad to see some folks posting their tests. Do you have any background on these tests or where they came from? I'm curious how they calculated the resistance & watts if all they show measured was volts. And what they mean by Max temp etc.. was that the temp they measured and if so how, or was it the max setting? Would just like to see more background info on it.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
Thanks ThunderDan,

Glad to see some folks posting their tests. Do you have any background on these tests or where they came from? I'm curious how they calculated the resistance & watts if all they show measured was volts. And what they mean by Max temp etc.. was that the temp they measured and if so how, or was it the max setting? Would just like to see more background info on it.

I saw it on ECR. They are Dirk Oberhaus's test results.

Dirk Oberhaus - YouTube

More Accuracy Tests:

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Hmm... I would have thought YiHi would have incorporated a very similar Temp Limiting circuit into the SX330 V4S, but the performance doesn't look too promising compared to the SX350J board. I was looking to maybe pick up a high wattage mod for my drippers, and the iPV4 was attractive til I saw that. I'll likely go with the Sigelei mod, even though I don't care for the screen layout compared to the iPV series. Not sure why the screens are so different when they both use SX330 boards, I guess Pioneer 4 You wanted a more "DNA" style layout, and Sigelei wanted to do their own thing, and YiHi accommodated them.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Hmm... I would have thought YiHi would have incorporated a very similar Temp Limiting circuit into the SX330 V4S, but the performance doesn't look too promising compared to the SX350J board. I was looking to maybe pick up a high wattage mod for my drippers, and the iPV4 was attractive til I saw that. I'll likely go with the Sigelei mod, even though I don't care for the screen layout compared to the iPV series. Not sure why the screens are so different when they both use SX330 boards, I guess Pioneer 4 You wanted a more "DNA" style layout, and Sigelei wanted to do their own thing, and YiHi accommodated them.

I wouldn't give up on the IPV4 yet if your interested in it. I know the 330 chips have historically been a bit less accurate than the 350 series but imo I would take these results with a grain of salt until we know how he did the measurements and we're able to compare to others doing the same type of measurements. To the best of my knowledge the integration of TL in these 330 chips is supposedly the same as the 350j. Read it somewhere just don't remember where.

It's unclear to me when he's "Calculating Ohms" & "Calculating Power" to determine the Power output and only showing Voltage as the single source being measured so I'm not sure how he could come up with accurate numbers if only actually measuring 1 variable. Just to many unanswered questions for me. We really don't know what's been done in the background to come up with these figures. Also his scope trace is somewhat different than any other I've seen in Joule mode not displaying the 20ms heartbeat we've seen in all others which raises questions. As well as having a positive signal on the DNA which I was under the impression it was an inverted signal. If I were interested in the IPV4 as a cheap high power backup I'd wait until more information & tests were known before dismissing it.

Reactions: dems86

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Just a bit of info I ask of Yihi.... we were comparing warranty's earlier in this thread and I asked Yihi what their warranty was on the SX Mini M class and on the J board so we can better compare the warranties. I got a reply from Yihi earlier and here is what was given:

The warranty for the SXmini M class is one year for the body and 3 month for the USB. For the sx350J chipset, it is 6 month of warranty.

I also asked why the warranty was not posted on their web site and got no response to that question.

dems86

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA, US
Most people with the IPV4 seem to be having very good results (although they aren't measuring or testing them).

I've got an IPV4 en route, so I'll be able to compare if to the M-Class and DNA40...looking forward to that. For $74 shipped ($65 + shipping, and tax because I'm in CA and so is the vendor, lol) I thought it was easily worth the cash to try out a dual battery mod with temp control that I can bring anywhere and not worry about it getting scuffed or dinged up.

THE WGU CLUB
Card Carrying Member/Co-Founder

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Most people with the IPV4 seem to be having very good results (although they aren't measuring or testing them).

I've got an IPV4 en route, so I'll be able to compare if to the M-Class and DNA40...looking forward to that. For $74 shipped ($65 + shipping, and tax because I'm in CA and so is the vendor, lol) I thought it was easily worth the cash to try out a dual battery mod with temp control that I can bring anywhere and not worry about it getting scuffed or dinged up.

THE WGU CLUB
Card Carrying Member/Co-Founder

Yea if it even works half as good as the Sxmini it would be a great daily beater IMO. Although I just dawned on me of the two devices I usually use daily at about 50/50 I'm now using the SXmini about 90/10 and the dual SX350 v2 is not getting much attention anymore.

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
I've been waiting for my IPV4 that I have had with a pre order for quite a while. Seems like people are posting pictures of getting theirs all over the place and still no word from the vendor I preordered with. So, I went to a local B&M which received the IPV4 yesterday and bought one. Paid $95.00 but it is from a B&M and local and it is in my hand!

Love it as much as my SXmini M. Much simpler, not as many choices, but it's main function, TC, was an identical experience between the two for me. Longer battery life, feels comfortable in my hand... what's not to love. I thought I would just sell the preorder IPV4 when it ever shows up to a buddy, but now I believe I will keep it when it gets here.

Reactions: dems86

Rikk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2014
Utah
I have a new Hana V4 coming my way this week (has Large screen, atty lock, newest firmware). I'm going to to see how it compares to my SX Mini and my other two DNA40 (small screen no atty lock) devices.
I'm super interested too. So please share your thoughts! I only have one flask with no resistance lock currently. But I've found my sweet spot and atty that works really well and haven't had the need for the lock feature. But if I start using other atty's that aren't as forgiving as the one I'm using now, it will be nice to know if this lock feature is worth it for me to pop for another flask. Or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy another one - Like it's a must have feature! ;)

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
To me the atty lock feature on DNA's is just an option if you want to use it. Refinement has not been an issue for me. Just grab a new coil, plug it in and vape, let it refine, adjust to taste, and vape on...bottom line for me is that you have the auto refinement option with the DNA not available on the SX.

Reactions: Rikk

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Here's my :2c: Evolv was the first with TC, any thing else is a copy!For once in my life I would like to see these Chinese companies come up with some thing new on there own not just riding the coat tails of Evolv!! Evolv stands behind there product, no if's and's or buts!
I have 9 DNA 40's got them here on ECF from Co-Ops 36.00$ :) Sure there were some problems at first, now there all worked out and the DNA 40 is working Great
I don't have a Yihi TC board nor do I want one.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Here's my :2c: Evolv was the first with TC, any thing else is a copy!For once in my life I would like to see these Chinese companies come up with some thing new on there own not just riding the coat tails of Evolv!! Evolv stands behind there product, no if's and's or buts!
I have 9 DNA 40's got them here on ECF from Co-Ops 36.00$ :) Sure there were some problems at first, now there all worked out and the DNA 40 is working Great
I don't have a Yihi TC board nor do I want one.

I think your 2-penny's is pretty spot on.... Evolv came with VW and China did soon after, Evolv came with the DNA and Kick and China came soon after, and Evolv came with DNA40 (temp limiting) and China came soon after...the only 2 things China came with not seen in Evolv is the term Joules and a Joules counter.....just a smokescreen for watts on the display and a spin off of the puff counter seen in older devices..to me this is a plausible comparison between Evolv and Yihi...

Oh.... Yihi came with mandatory atty lock and Evolv has Refinement and an optional atty lock(added per customer demand I think).

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
The Yihi boards are fantastic. I just don't get all of the "yihi left evolv in the dust" or "Evolv is behind...." I think without Evolv, there'd be no Yihi. Yihi has made some improvements and probably put out a more stable board.
Yihi's next greatest chip will come sometime after Evolvs next breakthru.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
The Yihi boards are fantastic. I just don't get all of the "yihi left evolv in the dust" or "Evolv is behind...." I think without Evolv, there'd be no Yihi. Yihi has made some improvements and probably put out a more stable board.
Yihi's next greatest chip will come sometime after Evolvs next breakthru.

I'm not one that has the proper test equipment nor the specialized knowledge to test both boards but I have corresponded with several who do and have looked at them.. for what it's worth they tell me the Yihi board is very unstable under certain conditions.

It is against ECf rules to post e-mails so I paraphrase just a part of a response from an opinion from one such e-mail:

He says that the J board does temperature limiting in almost exactly the same way as the DNA40 board except the J board is not tuned as well thus it can get very unstable when in temp limiting mode.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I'm not one that has the proper test equipment nor the specialized knowledge to test both boards but I have corresponded with several who do and have looked at them.. for what it's worth they tell me the Yihi board is very unstable under certain conditions.

It is against ECf rules to post e-mails so I paraphrase just a part of a response from an opinion from one such e-mail:

He says that the J board does temperature limiting in almost exactly the same way as the DNA40 board except the J board is not tuned as well thus it can get very unstable when in temp limiting mode.
I've heard the same...Busardo's sx mini m-class review touches on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread