Does e-liquid stink up the place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
I had some Mt Baker Vapor stuff shipped to a friend's home….mostly tobacco and menthol flavours (with no extra flavour shots).

He has just sent me a message complaining that the liquid has stunk up his apartment. As he is an ex smoker of long standing who has totally given up, he is not happy about it.

I am at a loss to understand why this smell could exist….the bottles have their tops on…and no one has vaped with them in the room.

I thought a leak might be a possibility and have asked him to check.

Any one have any idea what causes the smell? The juice is 65PG/35VG.

Thanks.

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
I had some Mt Baker Vapor stuff shipped to a friend's home….mostly tobacco and menthol flavours (with no extra flavour shots).

He has just sent me a message complaining that the liquid has stunk up his apartment. As he is an ex smoker of long standing who has totally given up, he is not happy about it.

I am at a loss to understand why this smell could exist….the bottles have their tops on…and no one has vaped with them in the room.

Thanks.
It sure can, I use ziplock bags or plastic containers to store e-liquid. Just as an afterthought though, smelling apartment that can be solved with 10 dollars, no cancer from cancer sticks=priceless.

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
The bottles came in sealed plastic containers….the caps were never removed…isn't it strange that they would smell?

Ziplock bags makes sense….although Im trying to get to the bottom of why a sealed bottle would smell so strong.

Obviously Im not there to inspect them…Ive asked him to check if there are any leaks etc.

Reactions: Steven Pye

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
your friend seems to be a bit of a drama queen?

unless ... how big are the bottles?

juicebulk.jpg

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

Thanks.
May be the product is properly sealed but some eliquid got on the outside of that from the hands of a packer. E liquid does not evaporate like water.

The issue for me is leaking during pocket carry. I work, reeking of e liquid just can't happen. I do two things that eliminate the issue. I use a 22m x 12m silicone slip ring (Fasttech) to seal the air supply on the barrel for pocket carry (SV rda clone). It slides up and down easily enough but never seems to move in my pocket. The second thing I do is use less than 2% flavoring (usually 1-2%) so that if there is leaking an odor is barely detectable. Your taste will adjust to less flavor and eventually full flavored commercial eliquid is overpowering. Save a lot of money by dilutinng commercial mix by 75%. And if you have DIY supplies you'll be better off when the Federal Drug Administration cuts off your liquid supply and tells you to go back to smoking.

Also, to minimize odor, I rinse the nipple of the bottle I carry and the inside of the screw cap with water, once or twice a day. I wash the silicone case on my vtc mini once or twice a week with hand soap and water. It all adds up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alter

stmtpr

Mar 6, 2016
Texas
Almost all of my plastic bottles of juice smell to one degree or another before uncapping them. I'm not gonna claim to know the science behind it but seems normal. Ejuice in glass bottles does not smell.

However, this brings up an interesting point. If the smells can permeate the plastic in the outgoing direction, is it also possible that outside smells could permeate and change the juices?

@Cumulo Vapus - sorry wasn't trying to hijack your thread.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
That is so weird how the juice can stink up the room. The only time I could smell liquid is when there was a leak in the shipping box. The downstairs room I have my computer, vape desk and do my mixing does have a slight vape juice smell to it but its no where near intrusive enough to be called stink.
On the other hand I bought some tobac juice a long time ago that tasted great but smelled like sweaty gym socks on the exhale, I found that out when my wife sat into the car and almost barfed from the smell.

Headinthecloud

Apr 20, 2016
Dallas
Some juices do have pretty offensive smells, especially tobacco flavors. But sealed in a bag? That's weird. I have a feeling he's being a drama queen. But Mt Baker does use cheap plastic bottles. So, it could be possible I suppose. But smelling up a whole apartment? That seems a little hyperbolic. I've never had juice in a plastic, sealed bottle do that. Regardless of how cheap the juice was. And if he's a smoker, his sense of smell sucks anyway, so maybe it's something else he's smelling?

Reactions: Steven Pye

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
I included a picture of the juice exactly the way it was received….it's in sealed 30ml bottles and still in the bubble wrap. I can't imagine it is leaking because it would have got on liquid on his hands…and he would have said so and understood that this was then a packaging error.

I ordered some tobacco flavours like 555, Ruyan, Clove and Arctic Ice which has cinnamon….the rest are just a mix of menthol, spearmint, apple, watermelon and some berry stuff. I just can't figure out what the deal is here.

Having said that, he will be receiving some Blacknote bottles from their Notebook sampler on Monday…at their prices, it must be packed in glass…. and they are all tobacco juices….so it will be interesting to see if they 'stink'….if they don't it would either be due to the glass bottles, or perhaps a more refined manufacturing process.

Im really at a loss to future this out. This friend was the one who I was relying on to post me the juice every 3-4 months or so and he is absolutely ....... This does not augur well for future shipments :oops:

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I included a picture of the juice exactly the way it was received….it's in sealed 30ml bottles and still in the bubble wrap. I can't imagine it is leaking because it would have got on liquid on his hands…and he would have said so and understood that this was then a packaging error.

I ordered some tobacco flavours like 555, Ruyan, Clove and Arctic Ice which has cinnamon….the rest are just a mix of menthol, spearmint, apple, watermelon and some berry stuff. I just can't figure out what the deal is here.

Having said that, he will be receiving some Blacknote bottles from their Notebook sampler on Monday…at their prices, it must be packed in glass…. and they are all tobacco juices….so it will be interesting to see if they 'stink'….if they don't it would either be due to the glass bottles, or perhaps a more refined manufacturing process.

Im really at a loss to future this out. This friend was the one who I was relying on to post me the juice every 3-4 months or so and he is absolutely ....... This does not augur well for future shipments :oops:

sounds more like an excuse to not forward post the juice for you ... is he a close friend?

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.

Thanks.

I think your friend is an exaggerator to the extreme , even if he opened every bottle and poured the contents on the floor i would still highly doubt they stunk up the entire apartment .

I have ordered all types of flavors from Mt.Baker in the past and none of them had an offensive smell . I bet if you went over there you wouldn't even detect it , your friend sounds like a PITA to me lol.

Just my opinion

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
sounds more like an excuse to not forward post the juice for you ... is he a close friend?

Pretty close…he's sent tons of other non vape stuff to me earlier…and he's not someone who might exaggerate…he's a very level headed, helpful chap…I guess I am going to need to call MBV and get to the bottom of this because the 'stink up' claim is hard to understand…he used the phrase "oil/fuel" to describe it while writing to me.

I can surely understand the stuff smelling somewhat if the caps were off or there was a leak but there isn't…so this is one hell of a mystery to me.

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
Yeah, I will…when he's cooled off a bit :)

Spoke to MBV and they said it's normal…as I had some strong tobacco flavours in my order…apparently they can go through bubble wrap as well.

As for the 'stink' thing, I can only guess that my buddy's sense of smell has become quite sensitive since he quit smoking altogether 6-7 years ago.

Reactions: OhTheAgony

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I ordered several tobacco flavored juices (Ry4) for a friend I was helping to switch from smoking to vaping. Also ordered a couple other blended tobacco juices to have on hand as samples for others. They remained in their sealed bottles, inside a sealed ziplock baggie, in a bubble envelope with the flap cut off, and away from any sunlight, etc....and I definitely could smell them from 10-12' feet away. Certainly didn't "stink up" my whole house, but there was a very definite smell from them, and it wasn't one I liked at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread