RDA Don't you think it's odd...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssharp00

Feb 13, 2014
The South
I have two rda's I Vape on a daily basis: the IGO-W and the Patriot. I keep the builds very similar but change the gauge of kanthal every now and then. I always use cotton from the same batch (boiled) and I usually stick to one flavor at a time.
I always try and get as close to .3 ohms as possible on both.
Why is it that if they use the same kanthal, wick, ohm, mod, and juice, that they taste so different?
I always end up preferring the taste of the IGO-W, but do to the O-Rings wearing so fast, I wish I had the same flavor result from my Patriot.
The flavor isn't even just a little bit different. Its a lot more vibrant and full, but in contrast the flavor of the Patriot is more dull, and not as refreshing.
I would never have even known the difference if I only had the Patriot.. But now I'm stuck here wandering if there is another rda out there that's even better in flavor than what I currently use.

Any thoughts on why this might be?

-Sharp

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have two RDA's I Vape on a daily basis: the IGO-W and the Patriot. I keep the builds very similar but change the gauge of kanthal every now and then. I always use cotton from the same batch (boiled) and I usually stick to one flavor at a time. I always try and get as close to .3 ohms as possible on both. Why is it that if they use the same kanthal, wick, ohm, mod, and juice, that they taste so different? I always end up preferring the taste of the IGO-W, but do to the O-Rings wearing so fast, I wish I had the same flavor result from my Patriot. The flavor isn't even just a little bit different. Its a lot more vibrant and full, but in contrast the flavor of the Patriot is more dull, and not as refreshing. I would never have even known the difference if I only had the Patriot.. But now I'm stuck here wandering if there is another RDA out there that's even better in flavor than what I currently use. Any thoughts on why this might be? -Sharp
Airflow and chamber dimensions are the difference between the two . And yes two atty's come to mind that'll trounce the IGO in terms of flavor , the Magma and the Veritas , for the same reasons airflow and chamber dimensions .

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Airflow and chamber dimensions are the difference between the two . And yes two atty's come to mind that'll trounce the IGO in terms of flavor , the Magma and the Veritas , for the same reasons airflow and chamber dimensions .

The reason is exactly as retic said. Don't forget the Hobo and the Marquis as well. Great flavor producing attys.

That's a good point. I used the same drill bit for both RDA's but the IGO-W does have a smaller chamber which could be the reason.

Not could be the reason but is the reason just like retic said. Smaller chambers produce better flavor. Period. A restricted air flow is also a contributing factor.

Ever notice that when one asks what would be a good beginner's atty that most people first ask them, "What are you looking for? Clouds or flavor?" They ask this because different attys (with different chambers and air flow) perform better at one or the other.

arc323

Jan 2, 2015
Denver, CO
Definitely chamber size and airflow contribute to flavor. The Hobo is my go-to atty for flavor and the Mutation X v2 is my atty for clouds. I own several others but these two are my main devices.

If you are looking for something that's customizable I would get a mutation x v2. It's got highly adjustable airflow options which can be set for flavor or clouds. Good luck!

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
That's a good point. I used the same drill bit for both RDA's but the IGO-W does have a smaller chamber which could be the reason. Maybe more airflow from the Patriot would improve the flavor. I hate vaping on it because I always end up disappointed. I'll check out the ones you listed. Any other comments?
Yup , direction of airflow plays a part as well , the atty's that Jax and I named direct the airflow on to the coil , an RDA with directed airflow produces superior flavor .

r_sizzle

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2014
Missouri Bootheel
Check out the Mephisto as well. It has a small chamber, ample direct airflow and giant posts and post holes. I think the flavor blows my dark horse out of the water and is nipping at it's heels for clouds. I also have the veritas and it does edge out the Mephisto on flavor, but not by much. Let us know what you end up with and what you think about it

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I have two RDA's I Vape on a daily basis: the IGO-W and the Patriot. I keep the builds very similar but change the gauge of kanthal every now and then. I always use cotton from the same batch (boiled) and I usually stick to one flavor at a time.
I always try and get as close to .3 ohms as possible on both.
Why is it that if they use the same kanthal, wick, ohm, mod, and juice, that they taste so different?
I always end up preferring the taste of the IGO-W, but do to the O-Rings wearing so fast, I wish I had the same flavor result from my Patriot.
The flavor isn't even just a little bit different. Its a lot more vibrant and full, but in contrast the flavor of the Patriot is more dull, and not as refreshing.
I would never have even known the difference if I only had the Patriot.. But now I'm stuck here wandering if there is another RDA out there that's even better in flavor than what I currently use.

Any thoughts on why this might be?

-Sharp

I don't know if you keep the builds similar to each other or you keep them similar except for gauge.

If you keep them similar, then the difference in tastes can come from insulator material, and the metal material of the dripper itself.

After a few months vaping my magma and my veritas, usually unflavoured 0 nic, I have come to the conclusion that the big white plastic block in the middle of my 30mm magma is what I taste most of the time; If I vaped flavoured nic, it would not be so obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread