This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

E juice me up - on Linux

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by BuffaloX, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. BuffaloX

BuffaloX Full Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Copenhagen
  2. bonezit

bonezit Full Member

Mar 31, 2011
    bonezit
    Thanks for the link, I'll be checking it out. Curiosity, what distro are you running?

3. BuffaloX

BuffaloX Full Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Copenhagen
    I'm running Ubuntu 10.10, but plan on trying KUbuntu 11.04 when it comes out. My wife is on Debian Squeeze.

4. bonezit

bonezit Full Member

Mar 31, 2011
    bonezit
    Sweet, I'm currently running Linux Mint 10 and running Ubuntu Server 10.10 on my home server. I'm a real distro-hopper though, When it's all free, I just have to try them all, ya know? lol

5. BuffaloX

BuffaloX Full Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Copenhagen
    I tried Mint a couple of years back. It was really nice, but hen a new Ubuntu came out with some new nifty thing I wanted.

I'd like to be more on the bleeding edge like Arch maybe, but I'm too lazy atm. But if Ubuntu 11.04 causers too much trouble, it's definitely possible I'll try Arch.

6. MickeyRat

MickeyRat Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2011
    Hickory, NC
    I'm on ubuntu myself. I downloaded a spreadsheet in the DIY forum. Open Office converted it fine. Works great and no fooling with Wine which I've yet to bother to use.

7. Disparaging Shriek

Disparaging Shriek Full Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Seaside, Ca.
    I just switched from Windows 7 to Ubuntu, so I had no idea about this. You are awesome, thank you!!!

8. BuffaloX

BuffaloX Full Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Copenhagen
    Great that it works too. :)

A lot of Windows programs actually work with Wine, but sometimes you need something like .net, if you want an easy way to install those Windows add ons, Winetricks is perfect.
    winetricks - The Official Wine Wiki
    If you have any problems, feel free to ask.

9. breaktru

breaktru Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Interesting BuffaloX, glad that you can use the program. I had posted the redistribution link somewhere for the 3.5 .net framework package for Wine.

10. sranger331

sranger331 Full Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio
    Sweet I'll have to try it. I use Ubuntu , I usually stick with the LTS's. Although I usually avoid using WINE, it doesn't like me, I'll give it a go.

11. mad_russian

mad_russian Full Member

Apr 3, 2011
    ON, Canada
    Greetings,

First post for me. Replying from OpenSolaris onnv_142 x86 box. e-juice calculator opens fine in OpenOffice. All heavy M$ lifting is done, using VirtualBox.

Best wishes,

MR

12. BuffaloX

BuffaloX Full Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Copenhagen
    Hi Breaktru and thanks for a great program.

I Googled it before I tried, and I almost didn't bother to try, because the only Linux reference I could find, was that there was no planned support for Linux. Have you by any chance ever tried
    Lazarus?

It would be perfectly suited for programs like this, you can do the GUI stuff in seconds, and you can compile for Windows Mac and Linux.

13. breaktru

breaktru Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I am thrilled BuffaloX that it is functional for your use and thank you for the complement.
    No haven't tried Lazarus. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the tip. I'd love to support those not using windows.

14. BuffaloX

BuffaloX Full Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Copenhagen
    VirtualBox is cool too, but it doesn't support DirectX very well, requires much more resources than Wine, and finally Windows requires a license. Otherwise it is fine.

15. mad_russian

mad_russian Full Member

Apr 3, 2011
    ON, Canada
    BuffaloX,
    It's sad, but the days when Apache would use 640K - and ispell would occupy 32K are over. The modest current H/W seems to be adequate for runnning a couple of guest hosts in parallel. And I just love the fact that I can pass USB peripherals to guests. And have unlimited snapshots, both within VIrtualBox, and on ZFS level.

Best wishes,
    MR

PS. Is DirectX still in use?

16. BuffaloX

BuffaloX Full Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Copenhagen
    Yeah I guess the resources are a minor concern with todays hardware. I was a bit in a hurry before, so my previous post was a bit off, sorry. Maybe I'm sometimes a bit stuck in the past, because I've been using computers since the early 80's, and I sometimes forget how much things keep changing.

I didn't mean to diss VirtualBox, it does some things that Wine can't and vice versa, but if both can do the task, I think Wine is preferable because you don't need a license for Windows, and the program actually runs natively not emulated.
    With VirtualBox i suppose your system is better shielded from Viruses.

Yes DirectX is used for many games, and some media players.

17. BuffaloX

BuffaloX Full Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Copenhagen
    Linux is in many cases relatively easy to support, you can install it free on a virtual machine, and .net programs should in most cases work with Mono which is a Linux port of .net.
    Personally I think Lazarus is amazing, and it compiles natively to each platform.

18. mad_russian

mad_russian Full Member

Apr 3, 2011
    ON, Canada

BuffaloX,

Yes, the modern hardware helps a lot to deal with code inefficiencies. Look how bloated Linux kernel gets. Used to be small and fast - not so much these days. Oh, well...

Completely agree with you on a license. If that's an obstacle (for various reasons), avoid it... Actually, I'm thinking of getting Bordeaux installed at some point, for the same reasons that you've outlined:
    Bordeaux Software | The Bordeaux Technology Group

Thanks for clarifying the DirectX situation. The music creation software that brought me to Windows side, stopped using it at all, the support has been dropped since introduction of Vista.

Best wishes,
    MR

PS.
    As for viruses, the complete wipeout (revert to snapshot, takes 2-3 seconds) is hard to beat for me.... but not to my employer. Last summer we've been forced by auditors to install Anti-Virus for Linux at work. I've been simply told: if you don't install it, you fail the audit. :ohmy:

19. Disparaging Shriek

Disparaging Shriek Full Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Seaside, Ca.
    Thank you for the offer, but I'll just make Mr. Shriek do it. When it comes to technology, I get frustrated quickly and end up running around like a rabid chimpanzee on Adderall trying to smash the offending device. (Seriously, all I have to do is look at my iPod now and I froth at the mouth, I can only imagine what my computer would make me do.) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.