Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
Did you watch the video on recoiling them? I use an inverted tank to press the cap on. You can remove the silicon gasket on the cap first, but I don't bother.
Take another look at my blog, I use the inverted tank to remove and replace the cap. I haven't found a better way to do it.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Cheechako, How in the heck do you get the outer can seated without destroying the Silicon insulator? I just trashed a 1.5 ohm coil trying to rebuild it, after I forgot to watch my juice level and burned the cotton wick. Yech that is a nasty taste, and yes the Sweet Vapes 1.5 coils are the dual coil horizontal one!

if I follow;
when I encounter such a task, I put the coil INTO its own base,
then thread the 510 of that base into an old kanger base (fits 510 threading perfect!)

:)

. .
upload_2016-5-25_18-45-12.png

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Cheechako, How in the heck do you get the outer can seated without destroying the Silicon insulator? I just trashed a 1.5 ohm coil trying to rebuild it, after I forgot to watch my juice level and burned the cotton wick. Yech that is a nasty taste, and yes the Sweet Vapes 1.5 coils are the dual coil horizontal one!
I had the same problem even after watching Cheech's video. I think Cheech is a wizard or practitioner of some dark art that I can't grasp. :lol:

I spent hours Sunday afternoon trying to rebuild a 1.5 coil for the first time. Utter fail. First, I couldn't get the outer can off. Pulled, twisted, begged and invented new cuss words. No go. Came back to it a little while later and gently grasped it with pliers again, and it slipped right off. Still not sure how I did it.

Long story short, I eventually got it built and put back together, but cannot get the outer tank to fit back properly. I suspect I damaged it. Anyway, got it on well enough to test it on an ohm meter. It started at 1.81, then as I watched, it gradually started dropping down to the lower .7 level. Obviously, not stable.

I'm not giving up but have moved away for a few days because it was enormously frustrating.

Oh, one positive. I got the 325x325 mesh Monday. Cut it and it slipped right in with no problem. So, that's one thing I can do, at least.

ETA: Just for clarification. My fine motor skills have deteriorated to the point that working in close quarters with a small object is very challenging. Anything requiring a steady hand is difficult. I won't quit, though. It's important that I find a way to do this.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    if I follow;
    when I encounter such a task, I put the coil INTO its own base,
    then thread the 510 of that base into an old kanger base (fits 510 threading perfect!)

. . View attachment 558497

Thanks for that simple pic:) I finally got a coil apart without ruining it. Now if I can get by the next step..............

Cheechako

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Arizona
    You'll notice that I use a stable base, that will make all the difference.
    When removing the cap, a gentle rocking back and forth with the inverted tank will gently coax
    the cap off. The first time is a little tough as they use a lot of pressure to press it on. It's a lot
    easier to take on and off after the first time.

Replacing the cap, I push down while making a rotating motion.

Leopards

ECF Veteran
    Jan 7, 2016
    NE Ohio
    You'll notice that I use a stable base, that will make all the difference.
    When removing the cap, a gentle rocking back and forth with the inverted tank will gently coax
    the cap off. The first time is a little tough as they use a lot of pressure to press it on. It's a lot
    easier to take on and off after the first time.

Replacing the cap, I push down while making a rotating motion.
    Darn, never realized the outer coil shell was the same diameter as the drip tip! DUH!!

Cheechako

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Arizona
    So which mesh do you think? The 325 or 350?
    To tell you the truth Fran, go with the lowest number.
    I ran several tests on various thicknesses of juice and found that 325-350 was best.
    If you do use the lower number mesh and find it may flood a bit,
    you can always double the mesh to prevent this. But I'm betting it won't happen.

Once installed, the mesh need never be removed, even if it's doubled.

400-500 did not provide smooth wicking with the higher VG juice in my tests.

I haven't recommended any rebuilding tips on the Air coils that I didn't extensively test
    to insure it worked consistently. I had taken down my mesh blog when I encountered some
    issues that the lower numbered mesh solved. So whether you use 50/50 PG/VG or 90/10 like
    I do, the 325 or 350 will work fine.

IMRs

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    Penn's woods
    I had the same problem even after watching Cheech's video. I think Cheech is a wizard or practitioner of some dark art that I can't grasp. :lol:

I spent hours Sunday afternoon trying to rebuild a 1.5 coil for the first time. Utter fail. First, I couldn't get the outer can off. Pulled, twisted, begged and invented new cuss words. No go. Came back to it a little while later and gently grasped it with pliers again, and it slipped right off. Still not sure how I did it.

Long story short, I eventually got it built and put back together, but cannot get the outer tank to fit back properly. I suspect I damaged it. Anyway, got it on well enough to test it on an ohm meter. It started at 1.81, then as I watched, it gradually started dropping down to the lower .7 level. Obviously, not stable.

I'm not giving up but have moved away for a few days because it was enormously frustrating.

Oh, one positive. I got the 325x325 mesh Monday. Cut it and it slipped right in with no problem. So, that's one thing I can do, at least.

ETA: Just for clarification. My fine motor skills have deteriorated to the point that working in close quarters with a small object is very challenging. Anything requiring a steady hand is difficult. I won't quit, though. It's important that I find a way to do this.

Darn, never realized the outer coil shell was the same diameter as the drip tip! DUH!!
    Down towards the bottom of Mr. Cheech's blog, you will find a very easy way to remove the cap. I also have some problems with Arthur Itis, but I have no problem taking the cap off this way. :)

Cheechako

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Arizona
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread