Not open for further replies.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I'm having Pico difficulties.

I have two Picos purchased at different times from different vendors. Near simultaneously both have been exhibiting odd behavior. The will drop in apparent power, though there is no change in the display readings. The vapor I'm drawing in for no apparent reason seems to drop to half or less power as perceived by vapor, throat hit, etc. I'm using bottoms coil rta atomizers of different makes. The coils seem fine and at least one of them has been rebuilt since experiencing difficulties. The connections at the posts seem secure. The coils are SS and between .9 and 1.3 Ohms. At least one of them is a DIY Clapton.

The temporary fix is to unscrew the atomizer, push the fire button and observe the 'No Atomizer' indication, screw the atomizer back in, fire and select the + button (New Atomizer) and all is okay...but not for long. It's not a short-term show stopper, but a big annoyance.

What's going on that is causing this?

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods

I have two Picos purchased at different times from different vendors. Near simultaneously both have been exhibiting odd behavior. The will drop in apparent power, though there is no change in the display readings. The vapor I'm drawing in for no apparent reason seems to drop to half or less power as perceived by vapor, throat hit, etc. I'm using bottoms coil RTA atomizers of different makes. The coils seem fine and at least one of them has been rebuilt since experiencing difficulties. The connections at the posts seem secure. The coils are SS and between .9 and 1.3 Ohms. At least one of them is a DIY Clapton.

The temporary fix is to unscrew the atomizer, push the fire button and observe the 'No Atomizer' indication, screw the atomizer back in, fire and select the + button (New Atomizer) and all is okay...but not for long. It's not a short-term show stopper, but a big annoyance.

I had a slight problem recently with a newer one and all I had to do is update the firmware. It's probably worth a try. Hope it works for you.
Softwares for iStick Pico - Eleaf electronic cigarette

Reactions: gerrymi

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW

I have two Picos purchased at different times from different vendors. Near simultaneously both have been exhibiting odd behavior. The will drop in apparent power, though there is no change in the display readings. The vapor I'm drawing in for no apparent reason seems to drop to half or less power as perceived by vapor, throat hit, etc. I'm using bottoms coil RTA atomizers of different makes. The coils seem fine and at least one of them has been rebuilt since experiencing difficulties. The connections at the posts seem secure. The coils are SS and between .9 and 1.3 Ohms. At least one of them is a DIY Clapton.

I wish I had a Great Answer for ya, but I don't... :( :confused:

so just my thoughts after reading your post - " any chance your battery is failing ya ? "

just a stretch...

:blink: :blush:

Reactions: gerrymi

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

I may recall a symptom like that a while back but I rebuild and use stainless so I always have to consider it might be my build. What ever the problem was it went away. Some times I've had power drop off and found the atomizer wasn't screwed down snug. Try roughing the contacts a bit to be sure the are clean. I believe I've notice the resistance of my builds change for no apparent reason occaisionally I've had periods where that seemed chronic then it went away and didn't recur for a long time. Sometimes locking the resistance helps but not always. TC is worth the troubles for me because it makes my preferred rda practical in all situations. I don't believe your mods are faulty. I think these issues are inherent to TC. You are using TC, right?

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
@IMRs - Thanks. The older one had been updated to 1.03. The new one hadn't, but has been now. Thanks again.

@pufZeppelin - Both batteries are Sony VCT5s. They are not very old. I've noticed nothing else that would suggest anything about the batteries. They were purchased as a pair and have been used similarly. Thanks.

@sofarsogood - TC, yes. The posts have been redone recently. I'll check them again if necessary. Thanks.

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
For anyone...try this with Your pico:

NFE Team

Many problems will disappear...;)

Google that and You will find tons of further informations.
I've used Arctic Fox for months now in Power mode. I haven't been able to get the SS mode to work though. Do I have to program that while connected to the computer?

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
Try it, i have no problems using SS, both 304 and 316l.
Maybe it's the wire I'm using. I use .015 SS. It doesn't seem to read it. I get an error message. When I use my coils with the Pico firmware, it works fine. I'll have to play around with it a little more when I get a minute. Thanks :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Maybe it's the wire I'm using. I use .015 SS. It doesn't seem to read it. I get an error message. When I use my coils with the Pico firmware, it works fine. I'll have to play around with it a little more when I get a minute. Thanks :)

What do you mean by .015 SS? That's not a rating for SS wires. Id that the resistance of your build, and if so, is it really 0.015 and not 0.15?

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I assume that is the wire diameter and not the resistance. ;)
I use a lot of 26g SS316L in single core and twisted on the Pico with Arcticfox under TC. I like to run it with a TCR of 92 as it is a bit warmer vape.

Put the atty on cold and make sure the resistance reading is correct. You can go into the profile setting, select coil and hit fire on it to have it read the resistance again if need be.

What atty are you using? Not all attys play nice in TC, also what problems are you having?

Reactions: IMRs

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
I assume that is the wire diameter and not the resistance. ;)
I use a lot of 26g SS316L in single core and twisted on the Pico with Arcticfox under TC. I like to run it with a TCR of 92 as it is a bit warmer vape.

Put the atty on cold and make sure the resistance reading is correct. You can go into the profile setting, select coil and hit fire on it to have it read the resistance again if need be.

What atty are you using? Not all attys play nice in TC, also what problems are you having?
Hello T! When I do that I still get an error saying "TCR Error". And you are correct, the .015 is the diameter. Resistance is .39 (I'm using an Ego One Mega V2 with a v1 base).

Last edited:
Reactions: TrollDragon

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hello T! When I do that I still get an error saying "TCR Error". And you are correct, the .015 is the diameter. Resistance is .39
i use the Arctic Fox firmware. I got that TCR error yesterday in an experiment. i was vaporizing water instead eliquid to see if temp would max at the boiling point of water. instead the temp maxed at 70 C and then would stop and give the tcr error. I'm vaping the same mod, same build with this morning with no problems. i don't know the cause of the error.

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
i use the Arctic Fox firmware. I got that TCR error yesterday in an experiment. i was vaporizing water instead eliquid to see if temp would max at the boiling point of water. instead the temp maxed at 70 C and then would stop and give the tcr error. I'm vaping the same mod, same build with this morning with no problems. i don't know the cause of the error.
We'll have to see what Troll says. He's good with this stuff. :)

Joergl100

Oct 15, 2016
Germany, Lake Constance
Is "Prüfe TCR", in english "check TCR", activated? If not, do this, maybe it helps. The "TCR error" will occur once and then it should work ok.

m9QGx1Q.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread