Ever been pulled over by a cop for Vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamazam

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
Midwest USA
It happened to me this morning. The asswipe accused me of doing drugs, even made me do a sobriety test. Never did drugs, even when I was younger (I'm 52). After the crap that ..... put me through, I made the decision to file a complaint. vaping isn't illegal, but the cops behavior was in they greyzone as far as I'm concerned. Anyone else had to deal with crap like this?

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
i have not but i often think about it when vaping and driving, theres a case in upstate new york that a driver was accused of being on his cellphone but turns out it was a vape, cop still wrote the man a ticket and i believe its in appeals court as of now. if anyone could link the story thatd be great!

found it!
New York Man Earns Traffic Ticket for Vaping Behind the Wheel - ChurnMag

Burn_notice_fan_NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ithaca, NY, USA
Happened here in Upstate NY. Cop thought the guy was using a cell phone. Cell phone use will driving is a heavy fine with points. The guy fought it in court and was found guilty of using an electronic device while driving, even though the cop and judge admit that it was the PV that he was using.

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
I have been twice. I only take Ego-style PVs out with me, so it was pretty painless both times explaining what it was. Beyond that I've gotten plenty of long funny looks from LEOs trying to figure out what I had.

I don't get upset about it. The "other" use of vaporizers has become much more common in the last few years, and someone who doesn't have experience with them would have a hard time telling the devices apart. I may lose 10 minutes out of my day, but the LEOs are just doing their job.

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
Happened here in Upstate NY. Cop thought the guy was using a cell phone. Cell phone use will driving is a heavy fine with points. The guy fought it in court and was found guilty of using an electronic device while driving, even though the cop and judge admit that it was the PV that he was using.

OMG! That is kind of BS IMO. How is it any different than lighting a analog and smoking while driving? Or what about eating while driving?

Burn_notice_fan_NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ithaca, NY, USA
Neither of those are electronic. You could technically get a ticket for smoking with a child in the car. Also you could get a ticket with smoking and drinking if the officer chooses to write it off as distracted driving. But, I agree, as long as you are not dripping and driving, there should be no problem.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
I've always been afraid of it happening. Technically, you are not allowed to be using any electronic device unless it is hands-free in CA. Soooo..... I'm always worried about that one cop who hates the world.

Hmm, I never even thought of the technical wording of the law. I'll have to be more careful. I wonder if this also covers mechanical mods..?

1ne2woBe

Apr 18, 2014
United States
Hmm, I never even thought of the technical wording of the law. I'll have to be more careful. I wonder if this also covers mechanical mods..?

AWESOME thinking! 'Technically' it is not an electronic device. Hmmm.... I don't want to upset anyone, so when I do see an officer, I make sure to hold off on a vape. Or if I am in the middle of one, I make sure to exhale so that the officer sees what's going on.

You know a funny thing is that a woman got pulled over for an unrelated reason and then ticketed for having Google Glasses on while driving. Hands-free, but still ticketed. Although I'm sure they used 'distraction while driving' for the reasoning of the ticket. Her lawyer said that the glasses did not turn on 'till she looked up to talk to the officer. I do not know enough about Google Glasses to base a proper opinion though. Just thought it was an interesting case that did not get dropped.

Halcyondaiz

Apr 20, 2014
WV, USA
That's crazy. Fortunately in my small town, the cops are pretty mellow. I work with the uncle of one of our sheriffs, so he's always at the job and I've vaped several times in front of him. I'm pretty sure he's told half the department "those workers at the nursing home are crazy, puffing away on those weird pen things..." If the cops see me or my mom taking a puff while we're driving, they usually nod their heads at us and give a wave and carry on about their business. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread