1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Ever been pulled over by a cop for Vaping?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Zamazam, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Zamazam

Zamazam Senior Member ECF Veteran

It happened to me this morning. The asswipe accused me of doing drugs, even made me do a sobriety test. Never did drugs, even when I was younger (I'm 52). After the crap that ..... put me through, I made the decision to file a complaint. Vaping isn't illegal, but the cops behavior was in they greyzone as far as I'm concerned. Anyone else had to deal with crap like this?

2. Necrotic

Necrotic The Living Dead Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Wow.... That's all I can say....

3. RichRod

RichRod Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

i have not but i often think about it when vaping and driving, theres a case in upstate new york that a driver was accused of being on his cellphone but turns out it was a vape, cop still wrote the man a ticket and i believe its in appeals court as of now. if anyone could link the story thatd be great!

found it!
    New York Man Earns Traffic Ticket for Vaping Behind the Wheel - ChurnMag

4. Burn_notice_fan_NY

Burn_notice_fan_NY Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Happened here in Upstate NY. Cop thought the guy was using a cell phone. Cell phone use will driving is a heavy fine with points. The guy fought it in court and was found guilty of using an electronic device while driving, even though the cop and judge admit that it was the PV that he was using.

5. 1ne2woBe

1ne2woBe Full Member

I've always been afraid of it happening. Technically, you are not allowed to be using any electronic device unless it is hands-free in CA. Soooo..... I'm always worried about that one cop who hates the world.

6. Burn_notice_fan_NY

7. Koula60

Koula60 Full Member

Marlborough, Massachusetts, United States
    There was a story about this on Vapeteam live not exact on the episode. May have been April 2nd. You can probably find it on youtube

8. stevegmu

stevegmu Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Many mods look like they could be used for something else. If I see a cop in the area, I don't vape. If I were to get pulled over for using my mod in the car, I would understand and be polite, not blow things out of proportion...

9. GreenEyesDon'tLie

GreenEyesDon'tLie Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have been twice. I only take Ego-style PVs out with me, so it was pretty painless both times explaining what it was. Beyond that I've gotten plenty of long funny looks from LEOs trying to figure out what I had.

I don't get upset about it. The "other" use of vaporizers has become much more common in the last few years, and someone who doesn't have experience with them would have a hard time telling the devices apart. I may lose 10 minutes out of my day, but the LEOs are just doing their job.

10. porkchopbun

porkchopbun Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    A patrol officer starred at me once, because my MVP like an old school Zach Morris Phone from 80s with Taifun GS antenna attached...then I took a vape and he look away..

11. stevegmu

stevegmu Vaping Master ECF Veteran

One's attitude makes a world of difference in the outcome when/if one gets pulled over. Haven't been pulled over or had a ticket in 13 years...

12. db13berry

db13berry Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I have. Every time they already knew what it was and wanted to ask questions about it. I keep cards in my car for this situation.

13. Amraann

Amraann Ultra Member ECF Veteran

OMG! That is kind of BS IMO. How is it any different than lighting a analog and smoking while driving? Or what about eating while driving?

14. Burn_notice_fan_NY

Neither of those are electronic. You could technically get a ticket for smoking with a child in the car. Also you could get a ticket with smoking and drinking if the officer chooses to write it off as distracted driving. But, I agree, as long as you are not dripping and driving, there should be no problem.

15. CountBoredom

CountBoredom ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Hmm, I never even thought of the technical wording of the law. I'll have to be more careful. I wonder if this also covers mechanical mods..?

16. Katcandoo

Katcandoo Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

By the judge's definition of "electronic", the car itself is illegal to drive because it relies on electronics to function. It is powered by a battery and uses computer chips. :facepalm:

17. Sil3nt

Sil3nt Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Some people just want to watch the world burn

18. Thick vapour

Thick vapour Senior Member

Its very pathetic, that people still doesn't have information about E-cig, they don't know the difference between smoking and vaping. I have to answer security guards everytime i vape in malls.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

19. 1ne2woBe

1ne2woBe Full Member

AWESOME thinking! 'Technically' it is not an electronic device. Hmmm.... I don't want to upset anyone, so when I do see an officer, I make sure to hold off on a vape. Or if I am in the middle of one, I make sure to exhale so that the officer sees what's going on.

You know a funny thing is that a woman got pulled over for an unrelated reason and then ticketed for having Google Glasses on while driving. Hands-free, but still ticketed. Although I'm sure they used 'distraction while driving' for the reasoning of the ticket. Her lawyer said that the glasses did not turn on 'till she looked up to talk to the officer. I do not know enough about Google Glasses to base a proper opinion though. Just thought it was an interesting case that did not get dropped.

20. Halcyondaiz

Halcyondaiz New Member

That's crazy. Fortunately in my small town, the cops are pretty mellow. I work with the uncle of one of our sheriffs, so he's always at the job and I've vaped several times in front of him. I'm pretty sure he's told half the department "those workers at the nursing home are crazy, puffing away on those weird pen things..." If the cops see me or my mom taking a puff while we're driving, they usually nod their heads at us and give a wave and carry on about their business. Haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.