Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Another feature I like is holding the scroll wheel to the left scrolls through the display options for your home screen and holding the scroll wheel right scrolls through different power settings (VV/VW/MVR VV/MVR VW). This way I can still see approximately how many puffs I have left and then scroll right back to showing voltage/power/resistance. Big thumbs up here!

Thanks for the info. I've been using and messing with the 1.2 version since yesterday and haven't looked up any reviews or info, except on ECF. I like to go through and see what it's all about on my own, but I don't think I would have found this feature on my own. It never occured to me to just 'hold' the toggle wheel...left or right for other options.

MackDaddy1962

Verified Member
Windows folks,

Do yourself a favor and uninstall MVR 1.0 software first. then reinstall the new MVR 1.2 app. You can select the "run as admin" tick box on the new version app as well after install. Reboot your box. This is the method I did, and don't seem to have the issues others are seeing. I'm running Win7 x64 home premium.

Aphex13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Wiesbaden, Germany
Windows folks,

Do yourself a favor and uninstall MVR 1.0 software first. then reinstall the new MVR 1.2 app. You can select the "run as admin" tick box on the new version app as well after install. Reboot your box. This is the method I did, and don't seem to have the issues others are seeing. I'm running Win7 x64 home premium.

Good advice is good. I also installed mine into my "Program Files (x86)" folder instead of the "Program Files" folder, and I have had no problems with connectivity after doing so. I'm not sure if it's because of the program update or the install location. I'm assuming it's something to do with the location, because others are still having the connectivity problems that I had with the last version. I can't be bothered to uninstall and reinstall v1.2 into it's original location to find out, since it's working well for me now. The only nag I have is, sometimes the MVR software doesn't auto-start when I connect my eVic, but I don't mind double clicking an icon every now and then.

I'm running Win8 x64 Pro.

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
Windows folks,

Thanks for the great tip!

andygreen

Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
bedworth UK
just dowloaded the mac version installed it and when i connect my evic it says (on my actual evic) charging and uploading. when i open MVR and try to get data from ecig it says= read the record number:0 and then nothing. when i try and click upgrade my ecig it says= cannot communicate with hardware equipment!!! someone HELP please.

c00lkatz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
just dowloaded the mac version installed it and when i connect my evic it says (on my actual evic) charging and uploading. when i open MVR and try to get data from ecig it says= read the record number:0 and then nothing. when i try and click upgrade my ecig it says= cannot communicate with hardware equipment!!! someone HELP please.

Worked fine for me. Have you tried a different USB port?

Not sure about all your issues but, it is common for many updates to drop on the desktop on new mac OS and as for Uninstall, I believe this program is pretty much stand alone. Delete the program folder and you deleted all the associated files whether on Windows or Mac.

I run several small programs that operate that way and can be installed under programs or run right from my Downloads Folder.

While there are small programs that can be run standalone, this is not one of them. This is evident by the package installer, lengthy install, and need to reboot. If it were a standalone program, none of these would have been necessary. I can not speak for the Windows version, as you are probably correct, delete the program's folder and it's gone (save for the registry entries), but on the Mac version this is most likely not the case. You can delete the application but there are more than likely other stray files that won't get deleted. Otherwise you could have just dropped the program into the applications folder and been done with it (like other small programs without an installer). So in my opinion they should have included an uninstaller with the Mac version. This is one thing I don't like about Mac. In Windows, almost all programs that have an installer have an uninstaller. You go to programs and uninstall. In Mac, some programs are drag and drop into the applications folder, some have installers, and the ones that have installers but no uninstallers you are left with stray files on your system that have to be manually deleted if you want a clean uninstall.

Last edited:

KraKsX

Moved On
Dec 17, 2012
Lower NY
kraksx.com

Restart everything

c00lkatz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the info. I've been using and messing with the 1.2 version since yesterday and haven't looked up any reviews or info, except on ECF. I like to go through and see what it's all about on my own, but I don't think I would have found this feature on my own. It never occured to me to just 'hold' the toggle wheel...left or right for other options.

Yeah I was looking to see if they changed the auto scroll. They did, just not in the way everyone was expecting. Except in the menus, when you go to change a setting that has to do with a number, you can hold the scroll wheel and it will auto scroll through the numbers. VERY nice, considering some you can set pretty high and have to loop back around if you passed the number you are looking for.

tvBilly

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2010
Times Square
While there are small programs that can be run standalone, this is not one of them. This is evident by the package installer, lengthy install, and need to reboot. If it were a standalone program, none of these would have been necessary. I can not speak for the Windows version, as you are probably correct, delete the program's folder and it's gone (save for the registry entries), but on the Mac version this is most likely not the case. You can delete the application but there are more than likely other stray files that won't get deleted....
The Mac installer file is made up of three parts. One part installs the application in the main Applications folder. The second part installs the code.bin file right next to the application, and then moves it to the desktop (folder) of the current user. The third part installs a kernel extension called JoyeTechType00.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. The reboot is to have the OS load the kext (though that shouldn't be necessary as the installer could also invoke the kernel extension without requiring a reboot...).

So to remove everything, just throw away the application, throw away the code.bin file, and throw away the JoyeTechType00.kext file. The application probably saves a preference file in the users' preference folder the first time it's run, which you can also delete. A reboot may be required before you can empty the trash if the JoyeTechType00.kext kernel extension is running when you move it to the trash.

Billy

oh, and yes, it would be nice if JoyeTech provided an un-installer, as well as mentioning where the firmware files should be located (though their deliberate moving of the stock firmware file to the current user's desktop is probably a BIG hint).

Last edited:

Jaysin

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Clearwater, FL
I love the new updates! I also love that they released new evic specific battery tubes in black, silver, and white that each come with matching color cap for top of the head unit! Now I can rock all black, only the adjusters ring silver. Also a 3400 mah battery.

Only thing I would change is to have it default to charge only. If I want to use the mvr software I can launch it. The reason is 90% of the time when I'm plunging it into a usb port it is to charge it. If I plug it in at work I can't even use it as a pass through since I can't install the software at work, or a friends house.

Last edited:

cool breeze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Boston
Just a heads up for anyone else who might be affected:

Norton Security Suite (version 5.2.2.3, specifically the SONAR module) blocks the installation of the MVR 1.2 software and reports that the installation software performed 4 "Threat Actions" before being quarantined. This happened with no warning notices on my laptop running Win 7 64 Pro, so there was little to tell me that Norton was aborting the installation. Trying again on my desktop running XP 32 did result in a brief popup balloon to tell me that Norton was aborting the installation. Temporarily disabling Norton's SONAR feature allowed the installation to work properly.

I post this mainly so that others running Norton don't have problems with installation. I am not hugely concerned that MVR is malware, but if anyone running different antivirus software sees warnings about MVR, I would appreciate them posting something here.

Last edited:

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
= read the record number:0 and then nothing. when i try and click upgrade my ecig it says= cannot communicate with hardware equipment!!!
Means your eVic is connected to your computer via USB cable but the MPR software does not detect it.

I don't know how many different reasons exist to have this message come up, but the USB cable which came with my second eVic produces that message always. Therefore I only use the USB cable I got with my first eVic to update both units.

Now ... if you have a Mac, I can't advise on that.

MackDaddy1962

Verified Member
I post this mainly so that others running Norton don't have problems with installation. I am not hugely concerned that MVR is malware, but if anyone running different antivirus software sees warning about MVR, I would appreciate them posting something here.

I'm running Avast (free version) AV and had no issues at all. I've also scanned with MalwareBytes, and CCleaner. No problems.

ratpack7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ok< I found a way to make the MVR recognize the evic after disconnect for those that have problems with windows 7.

Right click on the MVR icon on your desktop, and select "run as administrator"

there, it should recognize your evic now...

Unfortunately you have to do this every time... unless you do this:

Right click on MVR icon,
select properties,
select compatibility tab,
way at the bottom, check the box that says "run this program as administrator"
save.

With this setting saved, when you plug in your evic, and the MVR is not running, it will still not recognize your evic, BUT, when you start the program, it will recognize it now.

PS: you might get a "User control window" that pop up... just click yes.

Hope this helps.

Reg

I figured out what is going on when MVR wont recognize your evic. when you close MVR it comes up with "exit" or "close window". If you chose EXIT it will stop MVR from running so it wont recognize your evic. If you chose close window MVR remains running in the back ground and will recognize your evic. It was kinda a face palm moment when I realized this.:facepalm:

Jetmec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
SC
Same thing here, worked well when I first installed it. Disconnected my evic. Try to reconnect to computer and the device is not popping up.

It did the same thing with MVR Ver. 1.1 and to get it to read again, I had to re-install MVR Ver 1.1 on top of the old one.

Now just tried with MVR Ver 1.2 and it's the same, have to re-install every time. especially if I reboot my computer.

I am also using windows 7.

Bummer... I'll wright a comment to Joyetech about that.

Other then that, it works fine.

Same problem here, I disabled adblock and shut down Norton 360 and it all worked good from there.

Jaysin

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Clearwater, FL
eVic16.jpg
So, has anyone else seen these tubes?? I can't find a place to buy em yet! I bought the eGo-T mod tubes including the black and silver short 18350 tubes. I really want the black one that seems to come with the top part in black also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread