Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinfandel

Feb 2, 2016
LOL anavidfan!

The smoke & Prunes is strong as heck!

The first time I tried it, it was at 3%, and boy was that a stout vape!
I think S&P needs to be mixed in the 0.5 - 1% as single flavor, and quite light (0.1 to 0.5) in other tobacco mixes, to not overpower or be to dominant.

But being so bold in taste/flavor, it really is nice at tiny %-ages in tobacco blends.
A light burly mixed with Virginia (2:1 ratio), and a tiny smidge of S&P is actually pretty nice (to my taste buds anyhow). No need to add any DNB or other ashy flavors to this mix :)

Regards
Zinfandel

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
Anyone have experience with DK Tobacco from TPA? I got a 30ml on a whim because it was on closeout and super cheap. It showed up today and has a very very strong and not so pleasant odor especially compared to other tpa tobaccos. Wasnt a huge fan of ry4 double(very little tobacco flavor imo especially compared to the HS ruyans) but thought I would give DK a shot at that price. Maybe I should have just stuck with hangsen, INW, and the couple of flavor art flavors that I like.

Reactions: JD1

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I hope someone chimes in with some info.
All I can say is that most of the time, the stinky ones turn out good. Maybe it needs more time to work its magic or maybe is more concentrated and needs just the right amount.

DK, by TPA? I will check it out and see what the consensus is.

Zinfandel

Feb 2, 2016
If it has the same taste as DK Tobacco base, I did a rew of this a few pages back:

Mixed at 2.5%. The taste is a tad sweet, with a tiny vanilla/citrus taste, and a hint og woody/ashy taste. Good as a base for other tobacco mixes. It is a dry taste, with a hint of sour.

I think most of the TPA/TFA tobaccos are not so great on they're own, but can do well mixed with other tobaccos.

Regards
Zinfandel

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I have what I call a base, a mixture of PG, VG and nicotine, a cups worth. Yesterday I had enough empty bottles to add flavor to. From past experience it seems most of the plain tobacco flavors do not need steeping and in the past I've mixed them and used them. I did run across some flavors I mixed up and just set the bottles aside because of lack of flavor and tried them again and found there was now some flavor. So this time I mixed up some flavors that will need the steeping and have set them aside in a black box, the box is next to the window with the hope that the sunlight will heat the box and decrease the steep time.

mcduffy

ECF Veteran
  • Jul 9, 2017
    The TFA DK Tobacco tastes to me like a weed that used to grow on our lawn that I got in the habit of chewing when I was a kid because my big sister told me it was mint. So it tastes like a green herb with a very faint note of maybe spearmint and clover. Nothing I'd associate with tobacco. Maybe useful of you're going for mutton or shish kabob flavor.

Edit: But that was when it was new and freshly mixed. Just tasted some that's been steeped for two months and the original flavor seems a little more subdued and there's sweetness and caramel flavor to it as well and maybe a slight nuttiness. Still not a good tobacco flavor to me but YMMV.

Edit2: After further vaping I have to say this flavor is growing on me. It's seeming a little cigarish and I'm thinking it might be OK mixed with cigar flavors or in a menthol cigaret blend.

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    A few years ago, I tried to do tobacco with DIY flavors. I remember I tried using vanilla and it was at a .25%? Maybe less? All I know is that since then, I can NOT handle the smell of vanilla/coffee, vanilla/tobacco, or vanilla ANYTHING. It nauseates me.

I think sometimes when we try something and that first experience hits us, we cant get it out of our memory and the smell affects us badly and no time steeping, or aging or even minuscule percent can overcome that olfactory "memory" reaction.

That is what is happening right now with me and the Tobacco "Smoke and Prunes" and the "Taboo" by INW. I think that if I had not tried it so soon or used it at a lower percentage, it might have been good, but now I just cant get the aroma and the taste to cooperate.

The AmD4 by INW, which I LOVE, was kinda strong aroma wise, but since I used it at recommended aging, I dont associate "retching" with the taste.

Just took the advise of Carl2 and mixed up the PG/VG/ nic base in a 250ml bottle and used that to mix up a few more flavors that I got in. My hopes are high, did some sm bottles of : Inw "coffee paradise" , "mocca" , and INW TDM of Cuban to see how it compares to the INW CUban absolute.

If I can find at least a 3rd flavor that is easy and does not need to age too long I will be thrilled.

So far the INW AmD4 and the Cuban absolute are keepers !!!!!

PS, Im waiting for BC to restock the Hangsen HA Cuban so I can try that recipe that was posted a page or so back..... :)

JD1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    Anyone have experience with DK Tobacco from TPA? I got a 30ml on a whim because it was on closeout and super cheap. It showed up today and has a very very strong and not so pleasant odor especially compared to other tpa tobaccos. Wasnt a huge fan of ry4 double(very little tobacco flavor imo especially compared to the HS ruyans) but thought I would give DK a shot at that price. Maybe I should have just stuck with hangsen, INW, and the couple of flavor art flavors that I like.
    I'm with the folks that don't care for DK on it's own but really like it at small percents in a mix with other tobaccos. I use it quite often at 1% or less so a 10ml lasts a while, and as you mentioned the price is good. :vapor:

Reactions: BrentMydland

Carl2

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2016
    I've found quite a few more bottles in which I can mix up more flavors, I'll probably mix more just tobaccos and some bottles of flavors to be added to the tobaccos. Someday I'll get to the point where I can mix up tobaccos and the right amount of additional flavor. Turkish tobacco seems to be my favorite because the tobacco flavor is so strong it doesn't get diluted by another flavor.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    I've found quite a few more bottles in which I can mix up more flavors, I'll probably mix more just tobaccos and some bottles of flavors to be added to the tobaccos. Someday I'll get to the point where I can mix up tobaccos and the right amount of additional flavor. Turkish tobacco seems to be my favorite because the tobacco flavor is so strong it doesn't get diluted by another flavor.

COol, I just got a bottle of the Turkish, what percentage do you suggest to try? I do like strong, if its good ol' tobacco, in your face dry goodness :)

Reactions: JD1

Carl2

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2016
    The last batch, 50 ml was 10 drops per 10 ml, before that it was 12 drops per 10 ml. Turkish goes good with the brown sugar but the brown sugar takes steeping, I've got some brown sugar already steeping which I'll mix with some Turkish when it is ready. Virginia also has a good tobacco flavor but different from Turkish.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    Decided to give these 4 a try tonight, aged 3 days
    INW Tino D Milano Cuba Cigar: 2% 80VG 3mg nic
    Very, very different from the Absolut Cuban by INW, first thing that hits you is the aroma, odd, smoky woodish? then you get the suggestion of some nutty top note. THe aroma and the nuttiness almost turns me off, but then the nice warm smoky almost neutral taste convinces you to keep vaping it.

I think Im going to like this one. Its not sweet, nor dry and ashy, its very odd to describe, no fruit, not vanilla nor coffee tones. I have high hopes for this.

INW Coffee Paradise 2% 80VG 3mg nic
    The aroma is nice, it hits your nose as a nice med coffee, not too sweet in the smell nor the taste.
    At first I thought it might need to be stronger, seemed light, but as you keep vaping and inhaling, the nice lightly sweet coffee its real nice. Like a nice "Americano" style cup of coffee with milk and a bit of sugar. Not whipped creamed, nor caramel-ed. GOOD, I think as it enhances it going to be a keeper.

Its supposed to be coffee and tobacco and you can tell it has tobacco, but its real fresh, Im hoping it becomes more balanced but keeps the great "coffee" flavored coffee spirit.

INW Mocca 3% 80VG 3mg nic
    Nice pleasant aroma, more of a flavored coffee, slight vanilla, a bit stronger. More like an esspresso coffee drink, latte ? Very good, maybe not for all day, as it is a bit more of dessert coffee. I think most people would enjoy this one, but since I tend to like less sweet.

This is does not have a tobacco taste like "Paradise" does. This is good, a nice basic strong coffee with half and half. Its not too "fru fru" or caramel-ed but lightly cocoa coffee.

FLavor Art Burley 2% 80VG 3mg nic
    Grassy aroma, leafy. Tobacco hits you, fresh leaf.
    This is what I think of when I think of Kentucky blue grass. Its the closest to the Blue Grass Burley by Ahllusion. Its a touch sweeter, but its not candy like or sugary.

This one is only a day and half old, and I think its going to be another keeper. I hope the sweetness drys out and it gets or keeps going in the dry green direction. I think at 3% and maybe a higher percentage of PG , this will be that dry leafy tobacco that grows hair on ones chest.

Hangsen CUBA 2% 80VG 3mg nic
    Now I really like this one, similar to the INW Tino Di Milano, but, and this is a good but, it has a more pleasant aroma. Smooth, no nuttiness, its good to go even at 1 and a half days. Its less sweet than the INW Absoute Cuban.

This might be my favorite cuban so far, I like that its so good fresh and I think can only get better with age. This might be the cuban I reorder and keep.

I just mixed up some INW Turkish, Perique Blk and Latakia. I will test these out in a few days. I also have some INW Cavendish, I took a whiff of the bottle and it smells sweet and flavored, so we shall see. I ran out of small bottles for testing :(

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    anavidfan does a great job at describing the flavor from different flavors he's trying. He seems to have a lot knowledge about this topic also.

Its not easy, to describe a "taste" like the old saying "taste is subjective" and when it comes to describing how something tastes, man that is an understatement.

How do I describe tobacco to anyone unless they are a tobacco-nists or connoisseur ? Its like descriptions of wine to me, its like another language..... raspberry? where !?

SO many words come to my mind; musky, woody, leathery, grassy, and since I do tend to like the "gross" ones, how do I go about describing it as a good experience?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread