first batch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Any specific tips or advice that I could give you would depend upon what measuring method you're going to use and what brand of flavorings you bought. Might be of help to others to know that, too.

In general though, I hope you're going to start first with either some very simple mixes of your own, or preferrably some recipes you found somewhere that others have tried and liked. You'll most likely have better results from the get-go then.

Second, don't be in a hurry to make whatever you're making. That's when careless mistakes are usually made, especially when first getting started with DIY, and...even after that. I made a careless one last month, when I forgot to shake up my TFA Key Lime flavoring before using it. Made a really "nasty" batch of Key Lime Pie, and I've been DIY for more than a year now.

Reactions: man00ver

the dog

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
Thanks a lot I made 3 flavors didn't do anything fancy I like 70vg\30pg at 9 for nicotine strength. How long before I can taste them? I'm so impatient for stuff like that lol and I also built my first coil for an rta cleito today wicked it all by myself and so far noleaks greatvapor and great flavor man what a difference from a stock coil I'm impressed anyway that was my day pretty productive for an old guy thanks to everyone that helped I appreciated it .

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks a lot I made 3 flavors didn't do anything fancy I like 70vg\30pg at 9 for nicotine strength. How long before I can taste them? I'm so impatient for stuff like that lol and I also built my first coil for an RTA cleito today wicked it all by myself and so far noleaks greatvapor and great flavor man what a difference from a stock coil I'm impressed anyway that was my day pretty productive for an old guy thanks to everyone that helped I appreciated it .
Try one right now. If you don't have an rda just drip some liquid directly on the wick wick and take a couple of puffs. If your using TC at 400 degrees or lower you should be able to take lots of puffs. May be the taste will improve over some days but may be it's as good as it's going to get right now.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Thanks a lot I made 3 flavors didn't do anything fancy I like 70vg\30pg at 9 for nicotine strength. How long before I can taste them? I'm so impatient for stuff like that lol and I also built my first coil for an RTA cleito today wicked it all by myself and so far noleaks greatvapor and great flavor man what a difference from a stock coil I'm impressed anyway that was my day pretty productive for an old guy thanks to everyone that helped I appreciated it .
So I assume we can add one more to the list of people who can't believe they waited so long to make their own coils and juice. People who are intimidated by it don't realize how really simple it is.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
So I assume we can add one more to the list of people who can't believe they waited so long to make their own coils and juice. People who are intimidated by it don't realize how really simple it is.
I think the biggest hesitation for people starting out is the fear/respect that handling high mg/ml nic, demands. That and the overwhelming sites out there with seemingly random flavors thrown together and some sites zero or only 1 review at best to make a decision... granted it has been quite a while since i searched recipes so this may have changed.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I think the biggest hesitation for people starting out is the fear/respect that handling high mg/ml nic, demands. That and the overwhelming sites out there with seemingly random flavors thrown together and some sites zero or only 1 review at best to make a decision... granted it has been quite a while since i searched recipes so this may have changed.
There's no doubt that ignorance plays a huge role. But it's not necessary to use high nic levels. 48mg is as safe to handle as any juice and if you're making 3mg juice, you can make an awful lot of juice from it.

Reactions: JCinFLA

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I'm seriously reconsidering buying any more 100 mg nic.
I am only 6mo in to vaping so I don't have a stockpile of nic yet. It just seems SO dangerous, and possibly deadly! Every time I mix, even with gloves on, I get a little scared. but please correct me if I'm wrong and don't need to worry so much!

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Using 100mg nic solution is not all that dangerous. While it's good to respect what you're doing, you really DON'T need to worry so much, ChelsB. Keep kids and pets well clear in case of spills. Stay near a sink and keep plenty of paper towels for mop-up. I wear glasses, and it looks like you do too. I don't even wear gloves, though it's not a bad practice. If some nic got on my hands, or even jumped in my mouth, I'd calmly go to the sink and rinse thoroughly, then wash skin, or brush teeth/tongue in that case. It's just a 10% solution; it's not going to knock you down from a mere touch. I might be a little more careful with 200mg nic, and of course free-base nicotine is a different story altogether (I wouldn't even let it in my house). But this is not that.

I try to make things easy to handle. My working nic is stored in a 250mL brown glass bottle with a narrow neck for easy pouring. When starting each mixing session, I'll pour what I need from it into a plastic 20mL graduated cylinder (which has a larger mouth than my glass bottle), then transfer it to a small plastic dropper bottle. This is ideal for mixing by weight. Then I can put the glass bottle back in the cabinet right away, where it belongs. Voila, I've minimized chances for breakage or big spills, and I can get right down to business with high confidence.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I use 48mg nic and I don't take any precautions at all and just mix at my desk. Heck, I remember when some people used to vape 36mg juice so 48mg can't be much more hazardous. I wipe it off if I get some on me, but that's about it. I vape 12mg so a liter of 48mg will make 4 liters of juice. That's a LOT of juice for $50. At 5ml a day, that will last me over 2 years. So I see no need to use anything higher than 48mg.

Last edited:

Monirh

Moved On
Jan 15, 2017
don't be in a hurry to make whatever you're making. That's when careless mistakes are usually made, especially when first getting started with DIY, and...even after that. I made a careless one last month, when I forgot to shake up my TFA Key Lime flavoring before using it. Made a really "nasty" batch of Key Lime Pie, and I've been DIY for more than a year now.

Reactions: man00ver

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Not sure how your nic is stored, but mine lives in the freezer. The only time the larger bottles come out is to fill a 30 ml bottle form which I then work with for my DIY. As I mix in small batches (no more than maybe 100 ml at a time of 6 mg nic) that 30 ml bottle does last a little while. The advantage is that when mixing, the most nic I can spill is 30 ml, not a 250 ml or even 1 liter container of nic. It's a lot easier to clean up, and a safer volume to worry about dealing with before the dog starts licking it up from the floor.;)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
It just seems SO dangerous, and possibly deadly! Every time I mix, even with gloves on, I get a little scared. but please correct me if I'm wrong and don't need to worry so much!

When I first started DIY, I bought 120mL of 24mg nic from WL, to see if I even liked DIY, and to get used to mixing with a lower mg of nic first. I got comfortable using it, found the best methods for me...for storing it & dispensing it, and moved on from there then, to 100mg/mL nic. I've gotten a drop or 2 of it on my hand before, but just washed it off with soap and water.

I've found a way (since getting the 100mg/mL nic) to eliminate the chance of my working bottle tipping over while I'm making eliquids, too. After I give it a good shake, I stand it up in one of the divided sections of my mixing case, where it's kept upright by the 60mL bottles of PG & VG in that same section. There's no way it can tip over while I'm using it! It's easy to uncap it and draw out of it without removing the bottle from the case. Works for me when refilling it, too. Easy to transfer more nic base into it while it's in there.

I think it's human nature for many of us to be leery of doing things that may have some risks and/or are entirely new to us. Only when I finally find out that whatever it was, wasn't really as bad/hard as I thought it would be...am I OK with it. Early example for me was learning to drive at age 15 just around town, and then actually driving on the Interstate, in all that fast-moving traffic! Might be the same with you and working with 100mg nic.

Just take your time working with the nic, but there's nothing that says you have to use the 100mg! I'd say...use whatever mg you're comfortable with.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
don't be in a hurry to make whatever you're making. That's when careless mistakes are usually made, especially when first getting started with DIY, and...even after that. I made a careless one last month, when I forgot to shake up my TFA Key Lime flavoring before using it. Made a really "nasty" batch of Key Lime Pie, and I've been DIY for more than a year now.

So, I'm curious. Did reposting part of my 1st post mean you agreed with it? Or were you going to say something else about it after you reposted it, but didn't? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread