Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hello all

I have a KBOX 120 coming to me. It is used and I will be using it mainly for building - cleaning coils etc. I wont be using it for actual vaping. I have a nice box mod and I tend to use it for building - cleaning but dont want to wear out the threads as I tend to rebuild and clean my RDAs at least once a day and I usually have 4 going at a time for my NETs.
I also have at least 4 RTAs going on daily too.

Thats a lot of screwing around for my poor Kainos.

Ive never had a device that requires 2 batteries and from what info I can find it has to be run with 2 batteries. Do I need to use a married pair of batteries even if Im not going to do heavy duty vaping and will be setting it at no higher than 12 to 13 watts with my builds never going under .70 resistance with 28 gauge 316L wire.

I tried one of those CoilMaster 521 Tab build meter things and it seems to hit a bit hard and harsh, and I tend to pop the coils when Im cleaning and building. On my reg devices since they are set to 12.5 W I never pop wires.

I have 4 AW 18650 IMR batteries that are same age and I rarely use. I was hoping to use them for this KBOX. Will it run with them or just not turn on? Will it be dangerous for them not to be married?

Like I said, I have never used dual battery devices and did not want to run out and spend on batteries if I dont need. I have 4 AW 18650s that are for my Kainos and I have another set of AWs that I have put aside that I dont use very often and dont know how many times they have been charged etc.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions and details.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Good morning and happy New Year :)

Mooch is in process of testing the battery marriage theory as we speak, until he posts his results I'll tell you conventional wisdom as well as my theory.

Conventional wisdom, and the safest strategy at this point, is to always run married pairs of the same cell in dual battery devices.

My theory is if the device runs in series, increased voltage, then yes you will want a married pair. If the device runs parallel, for increased run time, then it's not as critical. If the cells are of the same type and have a very similar internal resistance, you should be good to go.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Batteries used in different mods age at different rates. The main reason that batteries used in multiple battery mods are kept together is so that they age equally and maintain comparable charge/discharge attributes.

At 12.5W there's not much to worry about if you can find two batteries in your collection that match up closely in voltage after a dual series discharge in a mod, but for a few bucks you can create a married pair that will give you piece of mind.

You can pick up a pair of good batteries at Authentic AW Batteries - RTD Vapor or a few other trusted battery vendors for about $12-$13 (for the pair). Those will be guaranteed to be legitimate cells who's specs are guaranteed to be as advertised and the markup is less than vape shops that sell the same batteries for twice the price.

Pick up a couple of Sony VTC5 or VTC6, or LG HG2, or Samsung 25R or 30Q and those will work fine. Any 18650s on the chart below will be good.

image-jpeg.600623

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have 4 AW 18650 IMR batteries that are same age and I rarely use. I was hoping to use them for this KBOX. Will it run with them or just not turn on? Will it be dangerous for them not to be married?

I missed the AW part of your question. AW is a trusted battery brand. They are tested and rewrapped quality cells. They also come in various current ratings (link below). Again, make sure they are matched in discharge rate. The only way you can do that is to charge them up and run them side by side in a mod. Look at the voltages your charger displays when you put them both in the charger after they reach the cutoff point while vaping.

I like to buy new batteries for a new mod that requires 2 or 3 batteries. If they last me 2 years, that's 33 cents a month each for 2 years and a lot of peace of mind.
AW Products - RTD vapor

Last edited:
Reactions: anavidfan

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
I have a nice box mod and I tend to use it for building - cleaning but dont want to wear out the threads as I tend to rebuild and clean my RDAs at least once a day and I usually have 4 going at a time for my NETs.
I also have at least 4 RTAs going on daily too.

Thats a lot of screwing around for my poor Kainos.

Another way to deal with the thread issue is to get an adaptor and leave it on the mod. For a couple dollars is cheap way of reducing daily wear and tear on mod threading.

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Another way to deal with the thread issue is to get an adaptor and leave it on the mod. For a couple dollars is cheap way of reducing daily wear and tear on mod threading.

DOH, didnt think of that.
Oh well, the reg boxes coming to me cost me only the shipping so I hope out of the 2 one works out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread