Got Pulled Over by a Cop This Morning for Vaping (And introduction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixare4kids

Verified Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area, California
Hello all!

I've been vaping for less than a week. I was a 1/2 to 1 pack a day smoker for 30 years. I've tried to quit analog cigarettes countless times, using every method available and never succeed. I got interested in vaping from a friend of mine (who is on this board) but felt intimated after researching it. Ohms? 501's? Carto? Argh. Skip it.

I tried to go cold-turkey earlier this month but I wasn't having much success (bumming a lot). Then I found out that there was a vapor shop near me and decided to head on over. I'm the kind of person who needs to feel, touch and see a physical product. I wasn't sure exactly what to order over the internet or how to use it if I DID order it. I went to the shop, Vapor Den in Berkeley, and the guy was awesome and super friendly. He set me up with a Riva 510 with an extra battery and 5 e-juices to try. Then I went over to my friends place and we tried out a ....-ton of flavors and she generously sent me away with 30+ flavors to try. Sweet! What an awesome friend!

So far I haven't even been slightly tempted to have an analog cigarette, though I did try a hit of a friend's smoke yesterday and it was nasty. Not wanting analog cigs? NOTHING and I mean NOTHING has ever worked like this. I find it nothing short of a miricle. I know you've all been there. I can't see going back to regular cigs. It's amazing! I'm so happy.

So about getting pulled over. About 7AM this morning I was only my way to hike with my dogs. I was vaping in the car when suddenly there is lights and sirens behind me. ....!!! Was I speeding? Did I "California Roll" at the stop sign? ....!

When I get an adrenaline rush, I shake like a leaf! I shake so hard it looks like have parkinsons - so of course I look shady as hell. He asked for my driver's license and registration and when he saw me shaking he asked why I was so nervous? I actually laughed and said, "Officer, you scared the bejezzus outta me! I'm not used to getting pulled over."

He stated the reason he pulled me over was that he saw me using some kid of "Drug pipe" and did I have drug paraphernalia in the car? Oh.. that! No no.. that's just an e-cigarette. It's just nicotine.

I showed him the device and he took it, looked it over and handed it back. We had another minute of polite conversation (I think while he waited for the dispatcher to come back that I didn't have any warrants, etc) then he said, "Ok, thanks for your cooperation and have a good day."

Nothing dramatic - but Whew! I hope that's not a regular occurrence for vaping in the car.

Ralikar

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
There's a travel section on ECF and this happens... One guy was shaken down with his mod in a park by the police. I don't vape by a police car :). Know that the less it looks like a cig and like some freaky mod the more suspicious it is to police. It's getting more and more known to people but it can happen--the TSA guy at the airport told me all the TSA guys liked vaping so they can do it in the terminal :)! But for new vapers--just something to consider. A white battery with a red light looks like a cig... a freaky huge mod looks like you're working for Breaking Bad! BUT when I was doing the cig style 808d batteries, I used a blue light so I could vape in a bar/hotel. So sometimes it's nice to look like a real cig, sometimes not...

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I live near a police station, and probably see about 15 police cars each day.
In fact, I can count on being next to a police car at a stop light at least a couple times per week.

I am often tempted to grab my Chuck and take a few drags, but I haven't done it yet.
Not that I'm worried about it, just that I never have time for the inconvenience of getting pulled over.

Anyway, welcome to the world of vaping!
:)

Jixchel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Indiana
I vape all the time when a cop pulls up next to me, most of the ones around here know about e cigs since our B&M store is right across the street from the police station, and the one 20 miles away is owned by a couple of deputies. So far none have asked about what I have, but with the Reo I've been wondering if they will since they probably haven't seen one.

buffalofloyd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
Buffalo, NY
So about getting pulled over. About 7AM this morning I was only my way to hike with my dogs. I was vaping in the car when suddenly there is lights and sirens behind me. ....!!! Was I speeding? Did I "California Roll" at the stop sign? ....!

When I get an adrenaline rush, I shake like a leaf! I shake so hard it looks like have parkinsons - so of course I look shady as hell. He asked for my driver's license and registration and when he saw me shaking he asked why I was so nervous? I actually laughed and said, "Officer, you scared the bejezzus outta me! I'm not used to getting pulled over."

He stated the reason he pulled me over was that he saw me using some kid of "Drug pipe" and did I have drug paraphernalia in the car? Oh.. that! No no.. that's just an e-cigarette. It's just nicotine.

I showed him the device and he took it, looked it over and handed it back. We had another minute of polite conversation (I think while he waited for the dispatcher to come back that I didn't have any warrants, etc) then he said, "Ok, thanks for your cooperation and have a good day."

This. I am waiting for this exact scenario to happen to me. I only hope I am as fortunate as you are and the police officer responds the same way as in your case. Congrats on your switch!

trixare4kids

Verified Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area, California
This. I am waiting for this exact scenario to happen to me. I only hope I am as fortunate as you are and the police officer responds the same way as in your case. Congrats on your switch!

Yes, I was super lucky - he was incredibly polite (ma'am this and ma'am that), plus he had a friendly and professional attitude.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

trixare4kids

Verified Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area, California
Just treat the officer with respect and courtesy. Their job is difficult enough as it is.

EXACTLY! Even though I was shaking, I didn't go postal with "Why do you pull me over??" I didn't get upset or resentful that he asked if I had drug paraphernalia. Rather I smiled, explained the device nicely and with a nice tone - I was friendly, made eye contact, said "Officer" etc.. I treated him like a human being. Respect for Respect. Attitude goes A LONG way!

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
If it's a small town, maybe you should take all your vape gear into the station and introduce them to it - before you start using it in front of them while driving. After all, some mods look like pipe bombs among other things. They certainly do look strange. You can't blame them for wondering!

Just a thought.

trixare4kids

Verified Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area, California
yes you are lucky, I have the drip-on demand (from madvapes) on my roughstack v2 and my husband says it looks like a (SOMETHING ELSE) (I have never seen a (SOMETHING ELSE)). I don't use it at work (I work for a utility company) because it may not be good PR and I don't use it where people (or cops) are about. lol...

Well, since you post was edited, I have NO idea what your SOMETHING of SOMETHING looks like. Heh. That said, I vape at work, but only with the office door closed. If someone comes in, due to the position of my desk, I have enough time to put it in my case and snap it shut. I don't DARE ask if it's OK because I don't want the official answer.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
That's odd.
3 years ago when these were new I ended up at a SuperBowl party with a cop who just happened to be from my town. My sister had given me the go-ahead to vape in her house. He didn't give me a second look. When I found out he was from the PD in my town I questioned him about it and he said he wouldn't question it.
Granted it was a SS penstyle but I'd still think it would look like something illegal given the "smoke" being blown.
So I told him to warn the other cops in the department because eventually these would become popular.

I've been vaping in front of one driving, in parking lots around them, and walking in a parking lot with them around.

I also have a nephew who is a cop (had 2) that I educate. I won't be surprised if I have a bunch of off duty cops at a birthday party in a couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread