GP Series by VapourArt - Official Thread for GP Spheroid, GP PAPS, X, GP Piccolo, GP SnP and more - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Heron v1.5 was designed before the invention of TC, the use of fat wires and when the lung vaping wasn't known. You can widen the air slots and the air intake between the posts, but you may face new challenges.

Things as unbalanced wicking causing dry hits or/and leaking issues and perhaps the need for new posts with longer post screws or clamps. Of course, the chamber lid cannot be used with bigger coils.

Spheroid and Heron have restricted deck space on purpose and their ultimate performance is delivered with 2-2,5mm coils, 28-32 gauge and resistance value range from 0,5 to 2,1Ω.

Thanks for the comments old friend. I've always known by design that they were intended to be tootle puffer gear. And I well know about the issues when I re-engineer my vape gear, including trying to make them do what they were not intended to do. Some said the Chalice III's couldn't be made into a DLH atty, including Mark himself. Not true, I proved they can when I re-engineered one of my 6 of them.

As for the Heron as a dedicated lung hitter I only got by with them on the GP tube mods way back when I ran them by slip streaming the DT's. But flavor rich vapor suffers from doing so. In part why mine saw very little use those few months I ran the GP tube gear. I like the concept of the Heron though, so would use 1 or 2 of my 4 again if I could do unrestricted lung hits with them. Was just thinking out loud, and will ponder it more as time allows before doing anything with them. No hurry, they don't take up much space in my several large boxes of out of service gear.

Reactions: perseas

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Thanks for the comments old friend. I've always known by design that they were intended to be tootle puffer gear. And I well know about the issues when I re-engineer my vape gear, including trying to make them do what they were not intended to do. Some said the Chalice III's couldn't be made into a DLH atty, including Mark himself. Not true, I proved they can when I re-engineered one of my 6 of them.

As for the Heron as a dedicated lung hitter I only got by with them on the GP tube mods way back when I ran them by slip streaming the DT's. But flavor rich vapor suffers from doing so. In part why mine saw very little use those few months I ran the GP tube gear. I like the concept of the Heron though, so would use 1 or 2 of my 4 again if I could do unrestricted lung hits with them. Was just thinking out loud, and will ponder it more as time allows before doing anything with them. No hurry, they don't take up much space in my several large boxes of out of service gear.

Hi Spydro. We don't know each other but I have been following your posts. I am the other way round and now I prefer my mtl vapes. I just wondered why you don't have or use the Heron v2? I have heard its a restricted lung hit but surely that would be easier for you to work on.
I believe you can still use 'fluff' and set it up the same as a heron v1/1.5. Is there a reason why you don't?

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
On another note... DHL knocked on my door around 2 PM today with the package from VA. :thumb: Looking back it's been a long hiatus since my regular VA Sale Day participation's (summer 2014). So kind of fun to get something new from VA.

Soon after arrival a GP Dripper Pro was setup for a specific DIY with the dual build it likes best in some of my best 22mm toppers with similar chambers, and I have it on a 75W TC mod at the moment. It is an interesting design, comes with ample accessories included, and with the typical VA high quality manufacturing.

It's far too soon to call it a yeah or nay yet for my uses yet. But I'll be trying some different configs in it eventually to learn where it likes the coil positions best, how it's top air does in comparison to some very steep competition from my many high end RDA's that I know thoroughly, and anything else I can figure out that'll help it do the best it can do. I will also try out the squonk pin too once I have it dialed in with some certainty to see how it handles the VG joose I mostly run in my BF gear.

All for now....

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Hi Spydro. We don't know each other but I have been following your posts. I am the other way round and now I prefer my mtl vapes. I just wondered why you don't have or use the Heron v2? I have heard its a restricted lung hit but surely that would be easier for you to work on.
I believe you can still use 'fluff' and set it up the same as a heron v1/1.5. Is there a reason why you don't?

Hello Z... I just saw your post (I take a lot of coffee breaks while typing posts - old body). I haven't used my GP gear exclusively since late summer 2014 (some of it has never been used, including the TiX). I have a bunch of it, and IMO it is still the best mech tube gear made. I have used a couple of the X's sometimes with a couple of hybrid Senio drippers made for them to test DIY's (there is one on my desk right now). But I have no interest in going back into tube gear full time. Way back then I decided to go in a different gear direction with Reos, bought 33 of them and endless high end bf RDA's for them. Then a year + ago when I left ECF I added yet another direction with the TC mods and endless toppers for them to use along with the Reos. I DIY all my liquids, but wanted to cut way back on how many off them I made. So now days I only use a few of the Reos and a few of the TC mods to run my still used DIY's on to help make my life simpler on this end of the trail.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Hello Z... I just saw your post (I take a lot of coffee breaks while typing posts - old body). I haven't used my GP gear exclusively since late summer 2014 (some of it has never been used, including the TiX). I have a bunch of it, and IMO it is still the best mech tube gear made. I have used a couple of the X's sometimes with a couple of hybrid Senio drippers made for them to test DIY's (there is one on my desk right now). But I have no interest in going back into tube gear full time. Way back then I decided to go in a different gear direction with Reos, bought 33 of them and endless high end bf RDA's for them. Then a year + ago when I left ECF I added yet another direction with the TC mods and endless toppers for them to use along with the Reos. I DIY all my liquids, but wanted to cut way back on how many off them I made. So now days I only use a few of the Reos and a few of the TC mods to run my still used DIY's on to help make my life simpler on this end of the trail.

Okay. Understood. Perhaps to find a 2nd hand heron v2 would still be beneficial to you as you seem to have the desire to vape with herons atm.

I get your reasoning though and wow. 33 Reos! You would have been helpful on the thread I started discussing yest. 'Spending a lot of money on vape gear'. I was looking for experiences from other vapers so that I felt better about spending (what I consider) too much money.

Good luck though and happy vaping :vapor:

Reactions: perseas

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Okay. Understood. Perhaps to find a 2nd hand heron v2 would still be beneficial to you as you seem to have the desire to vape with herons atm.

I get your reasoning though and wow. 33 Reos! You would have been helpful on the thread I started discussing yest. 'Spending a lot of money on vape gear'. I was looking for experiences from other vapers so that I felt better about spending (what I consider) too much money.

"2nd hand" suggests not made anymore. With no idea at all what the Heron V2 is/was all about I went and found Stan's (Qorxx) video review of them. Major changes from my 4 Heron's that would have made a big difference for me back when I was using the GP gear. My interest in the Herons was mainly something to play around with to get some use out of gear that I got very little of first time around.

Some of the old timers here might remember my over-buying gear is just who I am. When I started the GP experience, I bought something over $4000 worth of GP gear in just over 2 months. And about a month later started rapidly buying up the Reos and endless bf RDA's for them.

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
"2nd hand" suggests not made anymore. With no idea at all what the Heron V2 is/was all about I went and found Stan's (Qorxx) video review of them. Major changes from my 4 Heron's that would have made a big difference for me back when I was using the GP gear. My interest in the Herons was mainly something to play around with to get some use out of gear that I got very little of first time around.

Some of the old timers here might remember my over-buying gear is just who I am. When I started the GP experience, I bought something over $4000 worth of GP gear in just over 2 months. And about a month later started rapidly buying up the Reos and endless bf RDA's for them.

Hi Spydro!! Dont forget the Provari that we so ever coveted especially the "special" ones!! Glad to see you are doing well!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
On another note... DHL knocked on my door around 2 PM today with the package from VA. :thumb: Looking back it's been a long hiatus since my regular VA Sale Day participation's (summer 2014). So kind of fun to get something new from VA.

Soon after arrival a GP Dripper Pro was setup for a specific DIY with the dual build it likes best in some of my best 22mm toppers with similar chambers, and I have it on a 75W TC mod at the moment. It is an interesting design, comes with ample accessories included, and with the typical VA high quality manufacturing.

It's far too soon to call it a yeah or nay yet for my uses yet. But I'll be trying some different configs in it eventually to learn where it likes the coil positions best, how it's top air does in comparison to some very steep competition from my many high end RDA's that I know thoroughly, and anything else I can figure out that'll help it do the best it can do. I will also try out the squonk pin too once I have it dialed in with some certainty to see how it handles the VG joose I mostly run in my BF gear.

All for now....
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you've played with it a bit. And, as I'm sure you will, let us know what configs you employed.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Was in a local vape shop today and the customers and employee were absolutely fawning over and blown away by the piccoloid which is my go to device out and about now that I found. A perfect build. They couldn't get over how seamless and cool it was.

@perseus you know that video of the pnb you have up on Vimeo? Are there any further discussions about the polishing cloths used to get a brushed and mirror finish ? The kit makes it easy it would seem but I'm not sure if I should just use a sunshine cloth to strip scratches and scuffs or what grain sandpaper was used etc ? Are you still allowing people to send in for refinish ? That may be something I'd like to have done on the piccoloid while it's still available, if it is. Otherwise can you recall any refinishing discussion? I have the pnb, ordered a while ago.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK

Bear in mind smoking quit savings, I did the maths lately and figured I saved ten grand already not smoking. If I spend 1500-2000 on vaping that's. a lot saved. Just a thought.

Last edited:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Hey GP Family.. For ages now, I have been purchasing a coffee cream juice. Because of Regs, they are no longer offering all of their juices. So, I am going to try and recreate the juice with their ingredients. Any tips?
Good call. Be sure to drop-in at ELR.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Hi Spydro!! Dont forget the Provari that we so ever coveted especially the "special" ones!! Glad to see you are doing well!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Beast,

Still kicking, a lot slower now days though.

I'd quit vaping before I'd ever use any of my ProVari gear again. Nothing against the gear itself other than I don't do anything but very low sub ohm now days. Using it would be promoting that company even though they closed their doors (and them doing that made me smile big time). Too bad it didn't happen 3-4 years ago (I wouldn't have all this ProVari gear/the Unicorns collecting dust in storage).

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Hey GP Family.. For ages now, I have been purchasing a coffee cream juice. Because of Regs, they are no longer offering all of their juices. So, I am going to try and recreate the juice with their ingredients. Any tips?

Hey Girl, good to see you're still kicking too.

If you were still using the CC from Jake that you were using way back when... approximating it yourself from his concentrate and base is as easy as "DIY" gets. His CC concentrate was recommended at 2.5%-7.5%. So simply buy the concentrate and your base that he still offers made up (VG/PG ratio, nic mg/ml), and make a small batch at a lower concentrate percentage. Then add more if needed in steps to find at what flavor level you like it best. Adding the flavor to his base will lower the nic level slightly from what you were getting from him premixed, but that can be compensated for easy enough.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you've played with it a bit. And, as I'm sure you will, let us know what configs you employed.

I anticipate Spydro's thorough examination of the GP Dripper Pro too. His observations are always spot on!

Will do (eventually). I'm still playing with the GP Dripper Pro, every day. And I have a lot more things I want to try with it. None have been a failure yet... and I don't expect any will be in this RDA. I have been using it on TC Mod's, but since I already know it will be included in some of my gear rotations from now on, I'm going to use that as an excuse to get one of my GP PAPS tube mods that I haven't used for years back in the rotations as well. I like the V2.1 and especially the X switches (not the V3's). For a cleaner look on a V2.1 I suppose, but it's hard for to pass up all my X's that I like the best. Decisions, decisions. :confused: Means doing PAPS pit stops regular again (something I rarely have to do with any of my other battery devices), but I'll survive them.
(I don't fiddle with gear anymore once it's on line, I just vape it.)

TC Mods are great for some uses, and for new vaper's who know nothing about building safe coils for mech's. But I prefer mech's and my very low Ω builds, and know exactly how to build for all of my DIY's in each and every one of my RDA's/BF RDA's/RTA's that I use on them. Know it so well all the builds so far on th GP Dripper Pro have been spot on for the DIY's I've ran in it.

I have decided to leave the 4 Heron's and 2 Spheroids in retirement, so not try to alter any of them. None of them worked very well for my vaping style years ago, and none would work now with that style and my lower builds now.

Cucco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
Hey Girl, good to see you're still kicking too.

If you were still using the CC from Jake that you were using way back when... approximating it yourself from his concentrate and base is as easy as "DIY" gets. His CC concentrate was recommended at 2.5%-7.5%. So simply buy the concentrate and your base that he still offers made up (VG/PG ratio, nic mg/ml), and make a small batch at a lower concentrate percentage. Then add more if needed in steps to find at what flavor level you like it best. Adding the flavor to his base will lower the nic level slightly from what you were getting from him premixed, but that can be compensated for easy enough.

Yup.. Was still using the CC from Jake at NN. I am going to purchase the base VG w/6 mg nicotine. They said to start with 4% flavor, and .5% Erythritol. I was not aware of the Erythritol. I may not need it. I assume I need to steep? How? And, how long?

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Different subject but if anybody can help.
When I've cleaned the Heron, the only way I can take the bell and the tank apart is by putting a lot of pressure and just pushing the bell off of the tank. I don't want to ruin this piece and so is that the way the tank and bell should be taken apart? It's just very snug fit with the orings. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread