Status
Not open for further replies.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Have we seen this bill introduced by Rep. Speier, Jackie [D-CA-14] (Introduced 03/19/2015)
sorry if this has been presented before I just do not remember reading about it.

Text - H.R.1517 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): SMOKE Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

To provide greater clarity in the regulation of electronic nicotine delivery systems, including electronic cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes, and hookahs, and for other purposes.
SECTION 1. Short title.
This Act may be cited as the “Stop Selling and Marketing to Our Kids E–Cigarettes Act” or the “SMOKE Act”.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
govtreplacedbyidiots.jpg

:facepalm:

Andria

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Have we seen this bill introduced by Rep. Speier, Jackie [D-CA-14] (Introduced 03/19/2015)
sorry if this has been presented before I just do not remember reading about it.

Text - H.R.1517 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): SMOKE Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

To provide greater clarity in the regulation of electronic nicotine delivery systems, including electronic cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes, and hookahs, and for other purposes.
SECTION 1. Short title.
This Act may be cited as the “Stop Selling and Marketing to Our Kids E–Cigarettes Act” or the “SMOKE Act”.
The bill seeks to put a limit on nicotine content. Anything more than what is "adequate for the majority of smokers using an electronic nicotine delivery system as a substitute to smoking", would available be by prescription, only. So, if the majority is only 51%, lets say, the other 49% would be turned over to BP (I'm sure they would start making, getting approval for, and selling the higher nic liquids).

It's all ridiculous, anyway. People usually need higher nic initially when weening off smoking. Is that the reference for what the majority would need, or the later usual lower maintenance levels of nic? Or was that issue taken into account, at all? (I can answer that - NO!) What about the fact that some types of devices deliver nicotine more efficiently than others? In fact, they're all over the place in their variations on heat and airflow. So it seems to have little relevence to actual nicotine intake.

This wasn't an attempt at good legislation. Just a desperate attempt at saving corrupt money streams from life-saving technology that threatens them.

Here's the relevant text:

<QUOTE>
(f) Dosage limits.—Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, acting through the Commissioner of Food and Drugs—

(1) shall promulgate a final tobacco product standard under section 907 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 387g) establishing dosage limits for electronic nicotine delivery systems and e-liquids that are adequate for the majority of smokers using an electronic nicotine delivery system as a substitute to smoking; and

(2) may include in such tobacco product standard an exception allowing consumers to access electronic nicotine delivery systems and e-liquids containing nicotine in excess of the dosage limit established under paragraph (1) pursuant to a prescription.

(g) Concentrations.—Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, acting through the Commissioner of Food and Drugs—

(1) shall promulgate a final tobacco product standard under section 907 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 387g) establishing for e-liquids maximum levels for the concentration of nicotine, and establishing labeling requirements with respect to the concentration of nicotine, that are adequate for the majority of smokers using an electronic nicotine delivery system as a substitute to smoking; and

(2) may include in such tobacco product standard an exception allowing consumers to access e-liquids containing nicotine in excess of the dosage limit established under paragraph (1) pursuant to a prescription.
<END QUOTE>

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The bill seeks to put a limit on nicotine content. Anything more than what is "adequate for the majority of smokers using an electronic nicotine delivery system as a substitute to smoking", would available be by prescription, only. So, if the majority is only 51%, lets say, the other 49% would be turned over to BP (I'm sure they would start making, getting approval for, and selling the higher nic liquids).
Ah, there it is.

So the Tobacco Products Directive from the European Union.
Coming to a US legislative body near you.
:banana:

Over a certain nicotine limit becomes a Big Phama product.
And there I was, thinking they would never find a way around Judge Leon.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Ah, there it is.

So the Tobacco Products Directive from the European Union.
Coming to a US legislative body near you.
:banana:

Over a certain nicotine limit becomes a Big Phama product.
And there I was, thinking they would never find a way around Judge Leon.

Well, if that does pass, hopefully the local neighborhood nicotine bootlegger can fix up those limited liquids, for those who need a bit more nicotine -- and I bet his products will be cheaper than BPs! And won't need a prescription, either!

Idiots. Totally braindead idiots.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread