Status
Not open for further replies.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Yes, ohm readers are very cheap, AND, I found them to be about as accurate as a mod reading. :?:

The point is to have several ways to check the ohms. Most read to the hundredths. When checking mine, I do a final trim to make sure all excess wire is trimmed, check that the screws are firmly tightened, coil is in the position that I want, and then fire the mod to get the reading. Then I try it on another.

coils are surprisingly easy to make. I started by using the little blue screwdriver, then drill bit, and now I have the coiller kit. I pretty much do 2.5 or 3 mm. Actually, I have come to the point that I do the same number of wraps each time. I don't need a calculator.

Once the coil is good, I wick it. A lot of different rebuildables require a sliiigghhhtly different wicking length. I just tend to use the same RTAs now. The kayfun-style deck is simple.

Building is relaxing and the FDA can't mess with the parts. I have not used a factory coil in 2ish years.

Anyway, it isn't hard at all. Good luck!
I too started wrapping coils on tge blue screwdriver. That shaft is 1.9 mm if memory serves.

I have not used a pre made coil since testing the little Atty that comes with the Mini Volt.

For me 8 wraps 26 gauge around 2 mm Shaft and mg sweet spot .79-.84 ohms is there. I gave my ohm meter to a guy trying to build stupid low and using those HORRIBLE efest batteries. An explosive mod looking for a place to happen. This guy was wraping .2 ohm coils on the hammer mech mod. I was actually happy when his hammer stopped working and went with a regulated mod

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I would not go Kayfun Mini V3 for two reasons.

1. If the drip tip O rings are weak as mine was it will leak unless you cut off the Juice flow before setting it aside for the night.

2. It only holds 2 mls Juice.

3. Go old school Kayfun lite plus and the options are abundant.

22 mm looks good on any mod.

Use the Kayfun Mini bell cap holds 2.5 mlz. Use the nano chimney and bell cap holds 2.9-3 ml.

Use tge M Tank and standard chimney holds 5 ml

Use tge qusrtz glass Tank ot even the Steel Tank if you use tsnk crscker juices.

Get a 5 mm tube at hobby lobby or hobby barn and put tge bell cap on top tge M Tank and you have s Kayfun that holds almost 10 mls Juice.

Get a Kayfun lite plus and a few spare bases and yoy can vape MTL with the lite plus base, or direct lung it with the Monster Mini V3.

Some times old tech is hard to beat. Not to mention cheaper.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Sorry to keep asking so many questions and everyone here has been sooo helpful but I have two more. What is the best gauge wire, number of coils and mm size tool to do the winding with to make a 1.5-1.8 ohm coil or at least to start with? Two Bears thank you for the suggestion earlier but the ones you gave me are too low or high for me and being a newbie at this I dont want to mess up.

And also should I get the nic in PG or VG? PG is better for TH right?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Sorry to keep asking so many questions and everyone here has been sooo helpful but I have two more. What is the best gauge wire, number of coils and mm size tool to do the winding with to make a 1.5-1.8 ohm coil or at least to start with? Two Bears thank you for the suggestion earlier but the ones you gave me are too low or high for me and being a newbie at this I dont want to mess up.

I generally use 30, 7 wraps on 2mm gives 1.5 ohms in all my KFs. Note that this is MY preference, not any sort of rule! I like the quicker heating and cooling of the 30 gauge over heavier wire. But kanthal is so cheap, it might be worth it to get some 28 and some 30, experiment and see which YOU prefer ;)

Yes, PG along with nic (and potentially the particular flavorings) will enhance TH. But from what I've read, nic in PG is better for long term storage, so that's how I get/got all mine.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015

PG is thinner and will be easier to work with when mixing. But depending upon your normal eliquid ratio of PG/VG, and since 98% of the flavorings are usually in a PG base...you may want nic in a VG base. Also, sometimes, if you get it in a PG base, but want a high VG ratio...it sort of cuts down on how much flavoring you can use without adjusting the ratio when you mix.

For example, my ratio is 40PG/60VG. So I get my nic in a VG base, so the nic in VG provides some of the VG I need to use to reach 60% of the mix. My flavorings % I can use in recipes also won't be limited then.

I've also heard just the opposite about longterm Nic storage, compared to an above post. Heard/read that VG is the best base for the longterm storage of Nic. So...lots of varying opinions on it, like with many things vaping related.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Unless you're vaping really high nic, or don't get your nic at 100mg/ml, it's a really small % of the final mix down.

I vape about 18, so 5.4 ml of my 100 goes into a 30 ml batch. Leaving 24.6 ml for flavorings (yes, generally in PG) and PG / VG to get the ratio I like.

However you get your nic, DO let it warm to room temp before opening the bottle. Easier to work with, especially if in VG, and less chance of condensing water into the stock.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Thanks for all your help and advice everyone. I think I'm set. I ordered my nicotine from rts vapes, another provari so I have two, and still have my TW curve for whatever, i have four tanks and enough coils to last about two years.

I decided against building my own because messing with electricity makes me nervous. And if one is not comfortable handling something one should stay away from it or find someone to teach you properly. That's I always told people whom I taught how to use a firearm. So I'm taking my own advice.

I'm sure I'll be seeing you.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Thanks for all your help and advice everyone. I think I'm set. I ordered my nicotine from rts vapes, another provari so I have two, and still have my TW curve for whatever, i have four tanks and enough coils to last about two years.

I decided against building my own because messing with electricity makes me nervous. And if one is not comfortable handling something one should stay away from it or find someone to teach you properly. That's I always told people whom I taught how to use a firearm. So I'm taking my own advice.

I'm sure I'll be seeing you.
You do what your comfortable with. :) Glad you got some stock items.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I decided against building my own because messing with electricity makes me nervous.

I haven't built coils before either, and am alittle hesitant about learning how to...until I need to. I did order several Subtank Minis though, that come with an RBA deck, as well as one for the ready-made OCC coils.

So, for use now I just ordered a few boxes of the ready-made OCC coils. I'm sure those will work fine for me, since the STM aren't the only tanks I have or use.

For later then, to even further prolong learning coil-making ;) ...I also ordered some premade coils (the wire's already wrapped with the right gauge wire & # of wraps, for my 1.5 and 1.8ohm vaping). I got 2 boxes of 100 (1 box of each resistance) for $17.99 a box, then a discount off of that...from Vapes.com. Also got some Japanese Organic Cotton for wicking them, and some ceramic tweezers. Neighbor who will eventually be the one teaching me how to wick the premade ones, and then how to actually make the coils themselves later...said those 200 will last me a long, long time!

So...maybe give those a try if you think you want to get an RBA or something, while they're still readily available and the premade, wrapped coils are, too. :)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Thanks, David!

I make jewelry as a hobby, and for others sometimes, so I'm used to working with very small bits & pieces, a variety of wires, etc. And I do already have several good-grade ohm meters stashed for testing resistances.

I just prefer to not do some things...until I have no choice but to learn how. I've always been that way, and at my age, it's hard to change now.

Depending on what it is though and my motivation, I'm more inclined to give it a try quicker. Learning to use most construction power tools was a quick learn...because I wanted to build my own 24 x 24 storage building myself, and I was a 57 yr. old female at that time! Started collecting vintage Hondas 2 years after that...and that led to learning how to clean carbs and replace worn parts, etc., etc. on them.

It's just that building coils from scratch, when premade ones are available for cheap...well, my mind can't "wrap" itself around that quite yet! :D (Sorry for the pun.)

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
The one thing I love about kayfun lites and similar bases are the wide variety of interchangeable parts. I'm currently vaping a lite base, 34mm orchid PC tank, and 5 pawns top cap. Super light, looks great, and holds 4.5mls.

I'm becoming quite fond of PC and acrylic tanks again after going all glass a couple years ago. You can get 10 replacement tanks for $8. They are more durable with impact than glass too. I have 20 or so each of the 27 and 34mm tank sections and will double or triple that shortly. You can't use tank cracker juice of course but I don't by default so it doesn't matter. The threads are more durable than you would think. I have a tank section in the rotation that is more than a year old and screws down and seals as good as new.

I also top fill all the time with no leaks or floods. Once you get the hang of the kayfun lites you are pretty much set for life with a simple but great performing mtl or restricted dtl rta pretty much forever. I'm obviously biased but my wife and best friend love them as much as I do. Cheap, simple, and predictable.

kfun.JPG

Reactions: DavidOck

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona

Bea; i LOVE 26 gauge because it is much stronger than 28 gauge. I can easily PULL the wick out of the coil without dsmaging tge coil.

I use a 2 mm coil. 11 or 12 wraps will give you a resistance of 1.15-1.25 ohms

Reactions: DavidOck

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
PG is thinner and will be easier to work with when mixing. But depending upon your normal eliquid ratio of PG/VG, and since 98% of the flavorings are usually in a PG base...you may want nic in a VG base. Also, sometimes, if you get it in a PG base, but want a high VG ratio...it sort of cuts down on how much flavoring you can use without adjusting the ratio when you mix.

For example, my ratio is 40PG/60VG. So I get my nic in a VG base, so the nic in VG provides some of the VG I need to use to reach 60% of the mix. My flavorings % I can use in recipes also won't be limited then.

I've also heard just the opposite about longterm Nic storage, compared to an above post. Heard/read that VG is the best base for the longterm storage of Nic. So...lots of varying opinions on it, like with many things vaping related.
Especially when VG is cold.

VG when cold is almost impossible to draw in syringe.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I like working with 26g Kanthal. Easy to coil, and I usually use a 3 mm coil, so wicking is a breeze. I'm still practicing, so anything that makes it easier is good. I also have a roll of Clapton if I ever get adventurous.

Right now I'm moving to SS so I can use it in dual mode (W or TC). I have to figure out how to maintain an OK resistance without 20 turns to get above 1 ohm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread