Help upgrading accessories off of Ego Batteries and CE4 Cartomizers, Juice questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diedrich

Oct 31, 2013
Ridgefield CT USA
Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum having luckily stumbled across the site last night. I'm so excited to find this place and find all this common passion.

About me - Nicotine addicted for 25 years, straight analogs for 16, nicorette for 5, camel snoos - like jumping back and forth from one pill box to another. Got into vaping about a year ago - and I love it like all of you.

System questions:

Right now I have a system I bought from Smoke to Live a week ago. Clearly realize now that I overpaid for it, but what can I do about that now? Well, I do have three batteries that say they are EGO (they are about the size of my pinkie finger up to the nail) , that came with 2 CE4 clear cartomizers. It is a huge upgrade over thee smaller cigarette style/disposable cartridges I was getting from Smoke Tip. I got big lungs and like to Vape all day long and clearly this gives you a lot more pleasure. (BTW I did read the vaping tips link which is awesome, I am going to try to swish more in my mouth before inhaling into the lungs.)

Can you all suggest the best way to upgrade this unit, keeping the batteries which appear to work fine? I like the 3 piece Apollo rocket style but think a glass nicotine reservoir and perhaps a non-platic tip would be a cleaner experience. I am not afraid to spend some money for good quality but would like to keep ongoing maintenance costs down.

juice questions

I like tobacco flavor and coffee flavor. Just poking around, it sounds like Mt Baker might be a good place to go (sorry any other retailers here I am sure I will get to you eventually)? Any suggestions on exactly what to buy online? I don't know what PG/VG is but I am sure I could find out more about it here. I currently go for 16-18MG but I am also a nicotine fiend, definitely pounding the juice I got (also overpaid) from smoke to live, though I do like the balance of mellow flavor/vape that still seems to pack a punch. I'd guess I am at 10ml a day which I know is a lot from what I read here, maybe it has something to do with the efficiency of the unit but like I said I like to hit this thing all day long.

Ideally I would like to place an order in the next couple days as a first time customer (I noticed that 10% off coupon from MtB)

Thanks for reading and best regards to all of you,

DD

toddrhodes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
United States
I have some MTB on the way but I'm more into sweet/minty flavors, or tobaccos which are fairly subdued. My personal favorite is Pink Spot Swagger, it has hints of caramel, butterscotch, and hazelnut, among other things, I think some cocoa as well. Very tasty and I'd vape it all day if I had more (which is on the way :) ). If you're willing to take a chance on a new vendor, check out juicemafia.com, I ordered some Turkish Tobacco from them and of the three or four tobacco juices I've tried, it is very, very close to the taste and feel of a good cigarette (not a cheapy Marl Light or something.) I mix a tiny bit of menthol in since I smoked menthol analogs. To me it is a really good hit. For full disclosure, I run practically the same setup as you, though if you are going to stick with the ego form factor, i would suggest getting a variable voltage battery (search for ego twist or "spinner"). My only option was to get an ego-v which is a digital VV battery and I really like it but I paid double for it at a local B&M than I could have paid for a twist. I have bigger and better mods on the way. I just jumped back in the fray 6 days ago, tomorrow evening is one week analog free :)

Anyway, hope that helps and enjoy the site!

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas

Diedrich

Oct 31, 2013
Ridgefield CT USA
Thanks very much BD, I am going to follow your advise and give both the top and bottom versions a try. Do you like Dekang over the NicQuid? I am a little concerned about the manufacture in China vs. the manufacture in the US and think I will go for the NicQuid for that reason (they seem to tout quality controls). BTW- I am also reading your other threads and plan to keep reading them, all very informative. Thanks again for your responding, I will be looking out for your POVs in future. -DD

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I like tobacco flavor and coffee flavor. Just poking around, it sounds like Mt Baker might be a good place to go (sorry any other retailers here I am sure I will get to you eventually)?

"Q: What is steeping? How long should I steep for?

A: Steeping is just an oxidation process that occurs between the flavoring, nicotine, and base. We recommend 2-4 weeks of steeping (minimum) for the juice to develop the flavor properly (Tobacco may require 4-6 weeks). Just set the juice out of direct sunlight, shake is once or twice a day during steep time, and you’re good to go. There’s nothing wrong with vaping right away, but you won’t get the best experience unless you steep."
Mt Baker Vapor FAQ | Mt Baker Vapor WikiMt Baker Vapor Wiki

Juice Components
Flavoring usually about 3- 15%- could be higher or lower depending on the flavor used.
PG enhances flavor, TH and lung hit- water like - many of us believe PG to be a throat irritant.
VG= vapor and can mute flavor- thick
Nicotine- TH, lung hit and our need for nicotine. The MOST important ingredient in regards to TH and lung hit.
Standards in the industry are 80/ 20 or 70/ 30 PG/ VG BUT many are moving towards a 50/ 50 ratio as it provides a smoother vape.

I like the 3 piece Apollo rocket style but think a glass nicotine reservoir and perhaps a non-platic tip would be a cleaner experience.
Don't know that brand but if it's the cartridge+ atomizer system I'd stay away from it as it's extremely outdated and has leaking issues.

Diedrich

Oct 31, 2013
Ridgefield CT USA
Thank you V-e-er, great clarifications and great advice. FYI I am using non variable ego batteries, and am now planning to buy the top and bottom coil Smoke Tech products BD recommended above, though I am looking at the pyrex versions as well. ( I think I just figured out that the top coil versions are known as Clearomizers, while the bottom coil versions are known as tanks). This whole thing is reminding me of building model airplanes and toys - just the sort of hobby that appeals to me!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
You're always very welcome Diedrich. Tried the ProTank bottom coil but it wasn't for me as I like a warmer vape/ top coils. Yes we tinkerers LOVE vaping and it really helps to enjoy this sort of thing. Here's a deals site mainly for hardware. Realize if ordering from FastTech batts and juice are being refused by China Post. Also understand because China Post is x-raying all packages it could take 1 month + for delivery.
VaporJoes.com - Ecig and Vaping Deals and Steals

Thank you V-e-er, great clarifications and great advice. FYI I am using non variable ego batteries, and am now planning to buy the top and bottom coil Smoke Tech products BD recommended above, though I am looking at the pyrex versions as well. ( I think I just figured out that the top coil versions are known as Clearomizers, while the bottom coil versions are known as tanks). This whole thing is reminding me of building model airplanes and toys - just the sort of hobby that appeals to me!

toddrhodes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
United States
These would upgrade the clearomizers to replaceable: Smok Tech Redux and use these heads: Replacement heads for Smok Tech Redux
Or you can try a bottom coil: Smok Tech Aro Tank and use these heads: Bottom coil tank Heads from Smok Tech
And for the nic fiend in you, you can try some of these flavors: Dekang E-Juice 10ml and they also sell them in 50ml bottles when you find the flavors you like.

Just picked up 3 of the ARO tanks for myself. Will try the new heads as well, good post!

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
Thanks very much BD, I am going to follow your advise and give both the top and bottom versions a try. Do you like Dekang over the NicQuid? I am a little concerned about the manufacture in China vs. the manufacture in the US and think I will go for the NicQuid for that reason (they seem to tout quality controls). BTW- I am also reading your other threads and plan to keep reading them, all very informative. Thanks again for your responding, I will be looking out for your POVs in future. -DD
I liked the bottom coil better, but then I moved to cartos tanks and haven't looked back. As far as Dekang goes, there are several videos where people have toured and videoed the Dekang lab and posted them on YouTube, I have never seen a video tour of an American maker yet. So for 4 years now I've stuck with Dekang, that and VG makes me cough so I use 100% PG liquid and I'm fine.

kcsdad

Oct 9, 2013
Oklahoma
I love the SmokTech ARO and RBC tanks. They use the same coils. RBCs are the plastic one-piece tanks. They work just as good, but the ARO tanks look a little better. I'm not a huge fan of the Pyrex ARO tanks, as I get a metallic flavor out of them due to the metal tip. But most people I know don't have the same issue, so maybe it's just me.

I liked the bottom coil better, but then I moved to cartos tanks and haven't looked back. As far as Dekang goes, there are several videos where people have toured and videoed the Dekang lab and posted them on YouTube, I have never seen a video tour of an American maker yet. So for 4 years now I've stuck with Dekang, that and VG makes me cough so I use 100% PG liquid and I'm fine.

Thanks for that informaion on Dekang. Your approach sounds interesting - bottom coil (which from what I hear is a cooler vapor) - and 100% PG (which I hear would give you a maximum throat hit.) I wound up purchasing the Smok Tech Redux Clearomizer, which comes with a 1.8 OHM, and a 2.4 single coil and a 2.0 Dual coil replacement because I want to experience what the difference is there. I'm sure I will get up and down the block on ohms, singles doubles, Clearos and tanks eventually and find where my preference lies. Thanks again for all the tips and sharing your experiences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread