Not open for further replies.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Question is whether the finish is already sealed in some manner whether by hot sodium or pot. dichromate which may be removed by stripping or abrasion? The paint for units I have flakes away rather readily once the finish is even minimally compromised leaving a smooth non-oxidizing surface.

Good luck. :)
Are you talking about the zinc alloy? I want to strip the flaky paint off my G class but I've not done it ybc it's zinc alloy & it will eventually get a dull patina. Been looking into some kind of clear sealer like lost vape uses but I've never used anything like that.

Another way to do it would be to polish it instead of sand.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Are you talking about the zinc alloy? I want to strip the flaky paint off my G class but I've not done it ybc it's zinc alloy & it will eventually get a dull patina. Been looking into some kind of clear sealer like lost vape uses but I've never used anything like that.

Another way to do it would be to polish it instead of sand.

Very soft. Any abrasive will swirl or scratch it. Polishing it would be easy but I like the natural texture think it may hold up. Given some of the comments I'm reluctant to strip it chemically. Been thinking along the same vein; that is, sealing the original paint on those still holding up. Any suggestions appreciated. Really like both the blue and black.

Reactions: 52anddone

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I had a brain storm after the pic's I took of my "Formerly" Black Slice. I thought the patina on mjags looked real nice and wanted the same on mine but didn't want to wait for it. I went into the kitchen and got out my wife's bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar, a cotton ball, and a paper towel (so I wouldn't get things too messy). Here's the aftermath:
P1010250 (Custom)ecf.JPG
P1010251 (Custom)ecf.JPG
P1010252 (Custom)ecf.JPG
P1010253 (Custom)ecf.JPG
P1010254 (Custom)ecf.JPG
It's a dull, flat patina that I think I like. A sort of utilitarian look I think.

Last edited:

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I had a brain storm after the pic's I took of my "Formerly" Black Slice. I thought the patina on mjags looked real nice and wanted the same on mine but didn't want to wait for it. I went into the kitchen and got out my wife's bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar, a cotton ball, and a paper towel (so I wouldn't get things too messy). Here's the aftermath:
View attachment 659227
View attachment 659229
View attachment 659231
View attachment 659233
View attachment 659235
It's a dull, flat patina that I think I like. A sort of utilitarian look I think.
wow, that patina'd really fast.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Great work @52anddone!

I am hoping to do my blue slice in a polished finish, I am trying to figure out a sealer for that one though. If I find out what might work I will let you know @kiba

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Check this out, lost vape uses this stuff that is basically invisible and very tough, my gf uses this mod as a beater and it's been put through hell... hopefully I can figure out what it is & it's not something that has to be baked on
762aaa82f9ef03df5a3c0185be8bdb66.jpg

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Check this out, lost vape uses this stuff that is basically invisible and very tough, my gf uses this mod as a beater and it's been put through hell... hopefully I can figure out what it is & it's not something that has to be baked on
762aaa82f9ef03df5a3c0185be8bdb66.jpg
That looks more aluminum to me, zinc would still have more of a grey tinge to it. I know the body that is painted on my Triade is zinc, it has already started peeling at the bottom and it is a babied house mod. Here is my fuchai 213 which I striped the ugly gun metal color off of, that looks aluminum compared to my Slice. That was done to the 213 maybe a month ago and still no change in color and no clear coat.

86dce43aad1b2faff976eac56759b544.jpg

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Reactions: 52anddone

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
That looks more aluminum to me, zinc would still have more of a grey tinge to it. I know the body that is painted on my Triade is zinc, it has already started peeling at the bottom and it is a babied house mod. Here is my fuchai 213 which I striped the ugly gun metal color off of, that looks aluminum compared to my Slice. That was done to the 213 maybe a month ago and still no change in color and no clear coat.

86dce43aad1b2faff976eac56759b544.jpg

there's different types of zinc alloys, I asked lost vape on fb and they said it was but ofc they won't tell me what was used on it.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
there's different types of zinc alloys, I asked lost vape on fb and they said it was but ofc they won't tell me what was used on it.

That's a shame given we are a faithful audience vapers. Here we are given the politics and economics with a warranty we realistically can't exercise. You would think producers should want to give us whatever we might need to help ourselves make things right. You know like in consideration of our loyalty, patience and such.

Just a silly thought.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Haha…looks like a beat up nickel! I love it. :thumb:

Searchin the pantry for the BRAGG's.

G'luck. :)

Yup, That's exactly what it was too, BRAGG's. The side note is that when it gets scratched all I have to do is hit it again with some sandpaper (or a Scotch brite pad, I'm using a green one), reapply some BRAGG's and away I go again, good as new. I'm now experimenting with applying the Bragg's in 2 or 3 coats (letting each coat dry before the next) then very lightly scotch brite the surface, then do it all again till I get the finish I like (I'm still working on that as I don't know what looks best at this point) or how much I will need till my finger prints won't add even more patina as I handle it. This is an experiment after all, so who knows, but it's fun and nice to know that I now have an option for when the paint falls off these Zinc mod's.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Yup, That's exactly what it was too, BRAGG's. The side note is that when it gets scratched all I have to do is hit it again with some sandpaper (or a Scotch brite pad, I'm using a green one), reapply some BRAGG's and away I go again, good as new. I'm now experimenting with applying the Bragg's in 2 or 3 coats (letting each coat dry before the next) then very lightly scotch brite the surface, then do it all again till I get the finish I like (I'm still working on that as I don't know what looks best at this point) or how much I will need till my finger prints won't add even more patina as I handle it. This is an experiment after all, so who knows, but it's fun and nice to know that I now have an option for when the paint falls off these Zinc mod's.

Well the ScotchBrite's def a good idea. It is a bit more cutting tho than the typical red glass stove top pads. The SB will put a grain in moderately polished SS while the latter much less so. I use both on diff gear to get to the precise original grain. The microfiber in most nail enamel buffing pads are extremely useful helping to remove small nicks and balancing the finish.

Just need to decide where to take it to. Most of the Dremel gear I have is too coarse. And what I'd like to have is a lot more matte whether it ends up light or darker. I will prolly experiment a bit on the cover. Come back if I turn up anything.

Thanks and good luck. :)

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Well the ScotchBrite's def a good idea. It is a bit more cutting tho than the typical red glass stove top pads. The SB will put a grain in moderately polished SS while the latter much less so. I use both on diff gear to get to the precise original grain. The microfiber in most nail enamel buffing pads are extremely useful helping to remove small nicks and balancing the finish.

Just need to decide where to take it to. Most of the Dremel gear I have is too coarse. And what I'd like to have is a lot more matte whether it ends up light or darker. I will prolly experiment a bit on the cover. Come back if I turn up anything.

Thanks and good luck. :)

Yea, I think that that's what I will be wanting also, more of a matte finish on mine. I also was looking at my Dremel gear when I started this little project, but decided it to be a bit much, too aggressive, even though I have a whole lot of different attachments for it. BTW, paint thinner, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, none of them took off the paint on my Black Slice, that's why I reverted to 150 grit sand paper and good ol' elbow grease.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
The slice is powder coated isn't it?

I don't know. I remember my Black Slice SE looking a Satin like finish, but Powder Coat ?? I remember some type of grey, slightly sticky/tacky layer under the Black Top Coat finish. I don't know what it is, really.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The slice is powder coated isn't it?

Hey f1ve, mystery paint. It's got a primer and apparently that's the problem. Like the paint itself and color, texture. Shame really. But the zinc is sweet and takes a whole lot of finishing approaches. QØ steel wool puts a particularly lustrous satin on it and it doesn't patina much if at all. A very consistent surface for wraps if nothing else. Try to put some pictures up once I finish foolin with texture and playin with the Dremel.

Can you believe the run on hardware lately?

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Well, I did the unthinkable yesterday, I dropped my G2/Siren 22mm on the kitchen floor from about 3 feet (I later measured it), and the battery cover came off and one of the batteries came partially unseated from the battery sled. I checked the whole thing out and there were NO scratches/dents/scrapes/dings/loss of finish, all seems A-OK. Even the Siren was undamaged. Everything looks like nothing happened, except for the floor, the G2 left a nice sized gouge in the linoleum from hitting right on the bottom corner. That's the first time I have dropped any mod and topper (the Siren was even full). Lucky Me, that is until my wife spots the gouge mark on the kitchen floor.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread