Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I just fired up my newest Slice, the Red LE, and seems to be working Great, although it has the 1.2.3 firmware installed. So far I notice no difference in my Slice's with the 1.2.4 firmware versus this LE. What might the difference be in firmware versions on a practical basis (I'm running a Kanthal 28g, 3.5mm single wire coil in TC/TL mode/xxx) ??

I am noticing the same feel with this Red LE's paint job as I did with my (once) Black SE's paint job (which I had to strip after only 3 weeks of use, due to the paint bubbling and then flaking off), a very slight tackiness sensation to the touch (that's with freshly washed hands mind you), almost like the paint wasn't fully cured. I have learned to wash my hands almost compulsively since I started acquiring these Hohmtech Slice's, to the point that my hands really need added moisturizer applied to them, washing like 12 to 15 times per day on a normal basis.

Are you still looking for the FSK_S_1.2.3 .dfu update file for your Slice Beamslider ?? I have that file on my new Slice LE and could try to get it off and send to you if you would want me to.

I agree on the tacky feel vs the out-of-the-box dry mat texture. Any exposure to hand moisture. While other areas are pristine (check your bottom). My personal theory is the pH of body oils may be playing a part perhaps accounting for why the degradation is so accelerated for some. But once these devices are handled any contact even slight can start the chipping or flacking.

One of these days when I get tired of playing with skins and polishing methods with steel wool and micro grain sanding I'll prob strip 'em all and powder coat. Keep a couple going for daily use. All's I need.

But I've kinda been flirting with the idea of doing one up in blue Hammertone. Now that would be unique.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: SLM

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I was going to try the 1.2.3 firmware to try and fix the shutdown issue. After taking it apart and finding the positive wire loose and broken off at the weld joint I resoldered it and it is now fine. I don't really see any reason to change the firmware back to the older version. It is working fine since the repair.

Thanks though

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I agree on the tacky feel vs the out-of-the-box dry mat texture. Any exposure to hand moisture. While other areas are pristine (check your bottom). My personal theory is the pH of body oils may be playing a part perhaps accounting for why the degradation is so accelerated for some. But once these devices are handled any contact even slight can start the chipping or flacking.

One of these days when I get tired of playing with skins and polishing methods with steel wool and micro grain sanding I'll prob strip 'em all and powder coat. Keep a couple going for daily use. All's I need.

But I've kinda been flirting with the idea of doing one up in blue Hammertone. Now that would be unique.

OK. Uh, wait, you want me to check my bottom ???? Mac, I do consider you a friend, but what exactly are you trying to insinuate my friend ??:lol::lol: I try to keep my bottom in tip top shape, my wife even says that I have a very nice looking booty.;)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
OK. Uh, wait, you want me to check my bottom ???? Mac, I do consider you a friend, but what exactly are you trying to insinuate my friend ??:lol::lol: I try to keep my bottom in tip top shape, my wife even says that I have a very nice looking booty.;)

Thx. Made me laugh. This foul wet trough past couple'a days has made a mess of our weather here in S FL and it's depressing. It's also disconcerting to watch the vape go into a state of liquidation and barely a peep, nobody home. Discontinued. It's like a hurricane. A radar clip no one knows how to analyze. Everybody just boards up and moves on (n.t.s. sometimes right into harms way somewhere else.)

Reactions: 52anddone

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran

Ya know Mac, I think you might be on to something, it sure makes sense to me anyway.

I just got a Tiffany Blue Slice LE from vaporcube in today's mail and am vaping it now with my Siren V1 on top and set to xXx mode using a 3.5mm Kanthal Coil. It's running great, but came with FSK_S_1.2.3 installed, which I think I'll leave for now (I do have 1.2.4 on my computer for when/if I would want to update it). $24 for a Slice LE from Vaporcube is a pretty good price for the only 26650 device that can TC/TL Kanthal, NiCr, and a host of other wire types, and it's shape will accommodate up to a 25mm topper.

• Agree
Reactions: Fidola13

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Ya know Mac, I think you might be on to something, it sure makes sense to me anyway.

I just got a Tiffany Blue Slice LE from vaporcube in today's mail and am vaping it now with my Siren V1 on top and set to xXx mode using a 3.5mm Kanthal Coil. It's running great, but came with FSK_S_1.2.3 installed, which I think I'll leave for now (I do have 1.2.4 on my computer for when/if I would want to update it). $24 for a Slice LE from Vaporcube is a pretty good price for the only 26650 device that can TC/TL Kanthal, NiCr, and a host of other wire types, and it's shape will accommodate up to a 25mm topper.

Thx for the nod. All's I can say is the Slice vapes like the VV and serial devices I've most enjoyed over the years over VW control. A lot smoother. To me given all else being equal a cooler result usually translates to better vape performance. By far this device is the best bang for the buck I've run into. Shame this community has been subjected to this debacle.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
All's I can say is the Slice vapes like the VV and serial devices I've most enjoyed over the years over VW control. A lot smoother. To me given all else being equal a cooler result usually translates to better vape performance. By far this device is the best bang for the buck I've run into. Shame this community has been subjected to this debacle.

Really ?? You actually notice a difference between VV and VW vaping ?? Are you talking about using the Slice in TC/TL xXx mode when you notice that difference ?? I know, a lot of questions, Sorry about that, but I am very curious as to your answers Mac, as I don't have much experience using a VV device at all, but do like a cooler vape myself. I have used a Spinner II/EVOD2 combination before, but that was over 3 years ago, and that, only for a few months.

Yes, this is the second time this has happened to me in the last year and a half. First time was with the abruptly discontinued Siren V1, and now this with the Slice/G2. The Slice/G2 are certainly NOT for everyone, but for those that understand them, they are a Game Changer for sure.:thumb:

@MacTechVpr
BTW, over at VaporCube they are selling the Slice SE & LE for $14.95 (no coupon needed), HURRY !!! I just found that out only a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Really ?? You actually notice a difference between VV and VW vaping ?? Are you talking about using the Slice in TC/TL xXx mode when you notice that difference ?? I know, a lot of questions, Sorry about that, but I am very curious as to your answers Mac, as I don't have much experience using a VV device at all, but do like a cooler vape myself. I have used a Spinner II/EVOD2 combination before, but that was over 3 years ago, and that, only for a few months.

Yes, this is the second time this has happened to me in the last year and a half. First time was with the abruptly discontinued Siren V1, and now this with the Slice/G2. The Slice/G2 are certainly NOT for everyone, but for those that understand them, they are a Game Changer for sure.:thumb:

@MacTechVpr
BTW, over at VaporCube they are selling the Slice SE & LE for $14.95 (no coupon needed), HURRY !!! I just found that out only a few minutes ago.

Well, I'll put it this way, I was very skeptical. I started with Sigelie's and Joyetech 15W var's. The first time someone put a Provari in my hand I was circumspect but the diff was evident. My prejudice kept me from ack it to myself (note to self for future as it turned out). Jeez these were expensive devices I argued. I've had a chance to sample many Provari since and there's no doubt in my mind as to the smooth power delivery of clean VV vs anything else I've ever tried.

The rubber test for me is vaping identical builds and multiples of the same atty often on clone and auth on mech's vs each of the types of VW I use. Sometimes borrowed but I have quite a few. And the mech's win hands down. The only thing that's come close is the Slice and virtually any VV dev I've used (exc Noisy Cricket II). Can't find a build even t.m.c. w/RxW that runs anything but warm on any of the units I own. Love 'em tho for that kinda vape.

So I got lot'a respect for the REOS Provari commun vets. They really got that smooth cool really does translate to great power delivery. So it's no surprise to me either in retrospect why SupX went lookin for better use of surface area in a micro (what prompted me to quit). Now mind you these folks may not have well understood the mechanisms for this perhaps merely attributing the result to better product quality as I did at first. But these days I'm more than ever convinced that a pure unadulterated D/C signal yields the best flavor and output. Some of us just taste that 9V battery better than others.

:D Good luck.

p.s. Thx for the heads up…hard to pass up. Still up today, Sun. Seems like they' liquidated all other stock at the cube. So this may be it. Shame.
p.s.s. I've started more than a few new vapers on Slice. You can dial in any kinda vape watt or temp. Don't see a limitation. Slice is one of the most versatile dev's I've seen. And just the right mix of power and up time on a 26650 without havin' to go big mod multi-cell.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Check out page generates a nonsecure warning with Chrome, explorer doesn't complain though. I would say don't use a credit card. Use Secure Checkout with Paypal if you buy

Capture.png

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
J-Wraps has a Memorial day sale going on now, for those that want a wrap.

Use Code mEMORIAL20 for 20% off SITEWIDE, copied straight off my email notice.

For $14.95 I figured "what the heck", and bought another "Red" Slice LE from VaporCube.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Well I dropped my first Slice, a well worn and peeled daily vaper, from table top height. Landed squarely on the button side of the mod and from the sound of it, shattered the darn thing. Dismissing the reassurances of many I've helped set up that short of a steam-roller these things don't crush no how, I thought for sure it was a gonner. And sure enough hittin fire only brought up the load screen with no progress. Pulled the batt and set the thing aside for a few. Then, I thought to try a fresh batt and it just up and started up flawlessly. These darn things are M1A's I'm tellin ya.

Good luck all. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Well my M1A is MIA in recent days. Mebe the drop, mebe the firmware which has been shaky since. Or the simple solution's needed as I noted in an earlier post. The soder points can be fragile. Keeps going back to its orig firmware. Weird. Trying to find the time. Meanwhile anybody recently taken advantage of the 15$ option on the remainder at vapercube? Thinkin of droppin an order.

Reactions: stols001

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The Solider on one I had was brittle and came loose on one end. It kept rebooting on me. I took apart desoldered and soldered it again. It has been working well ever since a few months now.

Easy to take apart go for it.

The paint job is definitely terrible on these mods, good thing it doesn't really bother me.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The Solider on one I had was brittle and came loose on one end. It kept rebooting on me. I took apart desoldered and soldered it again. It has been working well ever since a few months now.

Easy to take apart go for it.

The paint job is definitely terrible on these mods, good thing it doesn't really bother me.

Think I've got that same virus since I dropped it. Spiffy when it ain't rebooting. Oldest of the old so no complaints. Just hopin I can mebe get me a couple'a more tho just the same. If anyone's been successful lately give us a nudge.

Thx for the comeback. G'luck. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Think I've got that same virus since I dropped it. Spiffy when it ain't rebooting. Oldest of the old so no complaints. Just hopin I can mebe get me a couple'a more tho just the same. If anyone's been successful lately give us a nudge.

Thx for the comeback. G'luck. :)

p.s. Mebe ought'a drive a car over it and launch it down the road, like the video. Haven't tried that. :D

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Well my M1A is MIA in recent days. Mebe the drop, mebe the firmware which has been shaky since. Or the simple solution's needed as I noted in an earlier post. The soder points can be fragile. Keeps going back to its orig firmware. Weird. Trying to find the time. Meanwhile anybody recently taken advantage of the 15$ option on the remainder at vapercube? Thinkin of droppin an order.

I was thinking of ordering another one. Only have LEs now. Shipping is $12 but still $27 is a good deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread